Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default REALLY??? On the first day of school?!

So my kids started school today and I have been trying not to show my anxiety about it too much because as some of you may know my oldest daughter was having some anxiety attacks. Well anyway everything was going okay or at least I thought. When I picked up my younger daughter from 1st grade she told me that the boy who sits next to her threw up on his desk right next to her! Well if thats not enough the nurse sent him back to class! He proceeded to vomit a second time on his desk! Then he tells the teacher that he has actually been sick for a few days now. How could a parent be so cruel as to send a sick child to school. Thank God it happened after I had left, like right after I had left! Now I cant stop thinking about all the things I touched when I went back later that afternoon to drop something off at the office. GREAT JUST GREAT!

Default Re: REALLY??? On the first day of school?!

*hugs* If he's been sick with this a few days, it's very likely not sv, but something else. I had no idea kids did this until my kid did it yesterday, but some kids actually v from fear. Since he's only a first grader and I don't know his life story, maybe for whatever reason, school is just terrifying to him. Which is something for his parents and the school to work out. However, it's not contagious and I'm sure your daughter will be okay.

I was hoping that it was maybe just the first day of school jitters but for a few days now? I hope you are right and its not contagious. I have so much on my plate right now and I don't really have my husbands support right now. I don't know if I can go through a sickness right now without going totally insane and ending up in the crazy hospital again...

My best friends child Vs when nervous. Before he starts school he would be sick a few days before. Happens anytime something scary for him is coming up...doctors apts, trying something new etc. HUGS!

When I was in first grade, the boy next to me v*ed everyday right next to me usually. I had no idea why and he never missed school over it, but years later I found out why when that poor soul found his dad hanging in the barn. Sometimes kids have problems nobody has any idea about. I hope this little boy is not under the same intense stress that one was and he will calm down soon.

He was at school today and he said he feels much better. I just hope no one else gets sick any time soon...

Today was the second day of school and I am going through the same thing. My first grader comes home and says a little girl tu* in her classroom right at the end of the day. My daughter was upset about it when she got home (she definitely has some of the emet that me and my oldest daughter have) she said she covered her ears and ran to the other side of the room. I am now so worried it is an sv already! Luckily it was the end of the day and they moved the kids to another room! I just wanted to share what happened here so you do not feel alone! Good luck!

Omg that sucks! At least they got to go to another room. My kids had to stay there for both episodes and the teacher cleaned it up. She could very well contaminate everything in her class! Well I guess we just have to power through it. There is nothing much else we can do. Im sorry this happened and Im sorry these poor kids had to be sick at school, but I guess its just a normal part of life.

I do feel bad for the poor kids who were sick at school and right at the beginning of the year. But your right we have to power through it. I just dread flu season

My wife says when she was little, she used to v* sometimes if her parents got into a screaming, door-slamming argument. So I completely believe that kids can v* simply by being upset by something totally unrelated to sv* or anything contagious. I'm sorry to hear that your little girl had to kick off the school year like that. That sounds miserable. Hopefully no one else ends up sick.

Anxiety can make people vomit and school is a nervous experience, especially when young and starting a new school year. Teachers, believe it or not, are actually often concerned about germs, so she probably was very careful about cleaning it up. There are guidelines in place as well for what a teacher should do about bodily fluids and cleanup, so I wouldn't stress about it. I am concerned about the spread of emet to our children though. It does worry me one day because I don't want my children to have to experience the hell I did in school. I want them to have a positive school experience on the whole and not be afraid to go to school because of a stupid, ridiculous and irrational phobia.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I am so sorry to hear this. My little brother is in the 2nd grade and he saw a kid get sick in the trash can. Luckily, he is not friends with the sick kid, because if he was, he'd still hang out with him (my guess). He said that the janitor never came in there to clean up the trash can, and they never replaced the trash bag... Which is pretty dumb. This was Friday... It is Sunday and he says he feels ok. So maybe it was nothing (hopefully). If it was the SV... Isn't it early??

They likely replaced it after school. The janitors do most of their cleaning after the students have all gone home. I'm certain when he goes back to school Tuesday
    (or Monday if you live outside the US) the bag will be replaced and things will be fine. Children vomit for a lot of reasons unrelated to stomach viruses, so I wouldn't stress.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

How is your daughter now? Has she stayed healthy? I completely know the school anxiety, I actually kept my son home for a week last winter because I heard lots of kids were sick.. It's so embarrassing .
    I hope all is well and uneventful!!

She is fine. Thank you for asking. No one else has gotten sick thank god. I used to find any little excuse for my kids to be absent from school. I had to break that habit when the school sent a social worker to my home to check on them!