Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help with temp Sleep Deprivation?

I have to stay up for about 22-24 hours straight so I can reset my sleep schedule. I've been up for 11 hours and I don't feel tired yet. I'm afraid because every time I do this, I get nauseated horribly, even if i were to take 75mg 2 hours before I sleep, when I try to sleep. I saved 8mg of Zofran and I still have Promethazine... I just would like to know how to curve off nausea for the rest of my day unto sleep. I'll take a promethazine 25mg later today around 11am and go out shopping to keep me from getting too tired. I won't eat heavily and I'll drink ginger ale only. Any advice?

Default Re: Help with temp Sleep Deprivation?

Hmm, I'm just trying to think about what I do when I have to stay up that long, which I do pretty often due to insomnia and my work schedule.

Try to keep yourself distracted. Games, reading (if that doesn't make you too tired usually), chatting to people online, that kind of thing. The more you're thinking about sleep, the more tired you'll get and it'll be harder to stay awake.

I get by without taking the meds, my longest time being up was 40 hours straight, but that wasn't clever at all, but I got through it without taking anything. So unless you're feeling really awful, try not to take the meds. Isn't promethazine s drug that makes you drowsy anyways? Also, don't panic and mistake grogginess for illness. You might feel a bit weird and dizzy. That's just yor body's way of letting you know that you need sleep, which I'm sure you already know.

You don't have to eat heavily but eat well. You need to give your body good food to fuel you. Fresh fruit and veg are great for that. Maybe salads are the way to go? They're mostly good nutrition and they're usually a lighter option. Also, drink water. Staying hydrated is always needed, but especially at times when you're putting your body through stress. Ginger ale is fine, but you need water in there as well.

Thats about all I can think of. Resetting your sleeping can be tough but it's definitely worth it if you're going to be healthier for it. Good luck
    Last edited by KaydeeJayde; 09-08-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Adding something
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Okay. I'll be out shopping for a few hours so I SHOULD be able to keep distracted for at least 2 hours I think. I'll also switch off between the Ginger Ale and Water - 4 ounces of one, then 4 ounces of the other ever hour or something. I really really can't function without my promethazine - it's like a literal addiction unfortunately. I don't get tired from it so that's the good thing. I'll keep away from the Zofran unless my stomach grows daft.

Actually, now that I think of it, I get shaky and stuff as I get ready for sleep. I think it is a mix of anxiety, lack of blood sugar and lack of energy. I get jittery and I can't really think straight haha!

Thanks for the advice

In that case, make sure you eat enough of the right things.

Oi I'm feeling horrible. I'll probably cut this off into a few days. Brain isn't feeling right and I'm having a literal pain in my stomach AND intestines. Acid problems and everything... I really hope my SAD lamp helps with sleep.

Should I take the 8mg Ondansetron or the 38mg Promethazine? I might take both. Please... just pelase, I can't not take them so please don't suggest that. They really help with anxiety issues... better than the 2 benzos I've tried and they eradicate any possible nausea. I know taking excess if bad for my body. I'm fulyl aware but I'm kinda at a loss right now so I'm just wondering which would be better for my situation. Sorry for the unwarranted tangent. Wow I'm confuised

Don't take both. Choose one or the other if you have to take any

I'll be as honest as I can:

You won't vomit from lack of sleep.

I think that by taking anti-emetics, it's like you are taking a placebo. It does nothing at all, because it's anxiety. Nausea is anxiety. You already said that you are addicted to one of them, don't get addicte to two.

Do you feel like you're about to vomit? No? Then don't take them. Save them for when you have sick nausea. With time, you learn how to ignore the symptoms of anxiety. It's not the nausea you need to get rid of - it's the anxiety.

BTW, I remember both my psychiatrists (I had two, sometimes three) saying not to mix anti-emetics with anti-depressants. Bad combination.

You'll ruin your body if you (not only you, but everyone here) keep taking anti-emetics like if they were water. They aren't. And it's your body, so you're allowed to do whatever you want with it, but there are many things we regret doing later. Have you seen the thread Stage One Liver Failure?

What do you have Zofran for? It's made for cancer patients, not anxiety issues.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

I would seriously try and get some sleep if i was u, it will make you feel like crap if u don't and it won't do your immune system any good either
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one

Butterfly, SVS is trying to reset her sleep cycle so sleeping right now would be counterproductive

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Butterfly, SVS is trying to reset her sleep cycle so sleeping right now would be counterproductive

Ohh i see x
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one

I have Zofran because my doctor gave it to me (I didn't ask haha) when I went in for fluids (dehydration) and told him that Phenergan doesn't work well.

Again... I know the dangers of these pills, but I really really don't plan on being on these by the end of the year... one way or the other. I do suffer from a few gastrointestinal problems, so it isn't just anxiety. I can admit that a large portion of my nausea is MOST likely in my head (which still feels as real and can act the same as nausea), but I still had issues years before my problem haha

I didn't take the Zofran. I'll save those for a more serious issue if one shows up. That amount is Promethazine is allot so it was just stupid of me to ask that haha! Not sure if i could stay up THAT much longer... how id you stay up for 40 hours though?

I'd love to stay up for 40 hours, haha.

Well... TV, video-games, computer, loud music, singing, writing, reading... Everything I wish I could do when I have to sleep. I'd take time to hydrate my hair, which would also work to keep me awake, and chocolate... God, lots and lots of chocolate - or coffee, if you prefer, I don't like coffee (which is weird, considering that I'm Brazilian). Have you tried energetics? Playing with the dog, cleaning the house?

There are lots of things to do!
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

I have to drive an hour each way to work, so I went to work, then as soon as I got home, I only had time to take a shower before I got called back in again. So I went to work again, and then had to drive 3 hours from work to another of our locations to help out with a 24 hour event, so I did that and wasn't allowed to go to sleep. Then after that I had to go straight away to a rehearsal. Then I could go to sleep. The simple answer is that I just didn't sleep. And I felt horrible but it was necessary. I consumed a lot of energy drink which really wasn't smart but yeah. I really don't recommend 40 hours with no sleep, it really messes with you.

Wow! I thought 24 was bad! And the Energy Drinks! Don't they like... depress your stomach?

That is pretty much fora job :/

My job is amazing and I love it so its worth it. Energy drinks are certainly not good for you, but I have a really super strong stomach so... They don't make me sick.

I guess that as long as you're happy with the job, then that is all that matters.

God does this suck though. I couldn't stay up the whole day because my nausea was increasing, but now my nausea is too consistent. I have a pain in the lower left portion of my stomach, left of my bellybutton that is causing me nausea.
    My burps burps taste like food I've ate 6 hours agoand I have to consistently take a Pheneragan every 2 hours because my nausea is pretty strong for the day so far. I woke up at midnight, so my schedule is getting better.

Everytime I do this, I end up being sick for the entire week, and this time doesn't seem like I'm goonna break that tradition unfortunately. I might have to take the Ondansetron instead of the phenergan to see if that'll change the nausea so I won't take as much Phenergan. Several times were my nausea today like... very very real. I really felt like that signature "norovirus nausea" which did make me panic. The good thing is that I'm hungry, but the bad thing is that my acid and nausea issues are starving me.

Can u not just go to bed early? and then wake up early? or does that not fix your sleeping habits?
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I have a real hard time falling to sleep. I actually feel like i can't fall asleep unless I take my Mirtazipine. It wasn't like this when I wasn't on an Anti-Depressent which is why I won't try another. I essentially lost my ability to sleep when I want.

If i take the pill early, it just doesn't work.