Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Thought you were over it?

Has anyone else been emet then for a long period of time think that you were over it? No anxious thoughts, not obsessing, not worrying.. just calm and not caring, only to have it come back worse than it was to begin with?

Mine started when I was in 2nd grade, then went away when I was in 6th. I am now 23 and right after having serotonin syndrome about a year ago from an anti depressant it is back worse than ever.

Default Re: Thought you were over it?

Wow I know exactly what you're talking about. I had bad emet when I was 7, it went away after I had an sv* in 5th grade, so I was around 10. I was still extremely repulsed by v* or anything relating to it at that point but I was definitely not emet, I was sick several times in that period. I got an sv* shortly after New Years 2012 and although I panicked beforehanf I was extremely calm about it. My emet came back around march of this year when my brother got an sv*. I have not a clue why that triggered it. I had a horrible period between March and May but after that things seemed to die down. I'm starting to recover at this point, I'm not on the forums as much, I don't have very many panic attacks anymore, and although I still do think about it the thoughts are not nearly as obsessive as they used to be.
    I'm 18 now and living at college which is going much better than I thought it would, I'm hoping that when I recover this time it will be for good!
    Trust me no matter how bad it gets you ARE stronger than this. You've beaten this before you can beat it again! Live your life to the fullest!

That's good to know in a way I thought I was crazy! Like how can you be scared then not care only to be scared again. It is definitely nice to know I'm not alone with that! Hopefully this time doesn't last as long as the last one and it goes away for good this time! I wish you the same because being afraid is seriously not a fun life! I try to think how much time is spent worrying and trying to control the fear opposed to how much time is actually spent getting sick which as you know I'm sure the worry/fear is much worse than the actual time spent being sick. It is a little better this time I guess because I can actually be the primary person to take care of my daughter when she is sick no matter the reason and I can hold the fear and anxiety until I have her back to sleep so she has no idea. The first time around that never would have happened no matter who it was. So as bad as it is now that is one positive to it. Good Luck to you! And thanks for letting me know it's not just me!

Oh dear I know tis feeling. When your emet comes back or gets worse do you guys feel nausea more frequently?

When I am bad I am really anxious of the night time as is is always worse then. To be scared of the night is depressing.

Its hard to keep your thoughts in check but I suppose it takes practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicky-Ricky View Post
    Oh dear I know tis feeling. When your emet comes back or gets worse do you guys feel nausea more frequently?

When I am bad I am really anxious of the night time as is is always worse then. To be scared of the night is depressing.

Its hard to keep your thoughts in check but I suppose it takes practice.

Absolutely! Nauseous is like a constant and when you feel nothing and all is good it's almost like you have to look for that one thing that could possibly be off and turn it into something. Night is a big issue for me too.. Why is that? I have always been much worse at night time.

Ricky,

When my emet was really bad back in March I felt nausea almost every day. The key is to remind yourself that it is just anxiety. 99% of the time you're not actually sick it's just your mind tricking you!

Air, thank you so much! Things are way better for me now, I hope they get that way for you too! I really want to fully overcome this phobia now that I'm getting close to being over the anxiety! If you ever want to talk just pm me

I agree with what you say, when I felt stressed and emet was getting on top of me nausea would increase. I had CBT and this helped me relax and drop some compulsive behavious which were really causing a problem. I have a book which I read "Essential Help For your Nerves" this book really helps my anxiety in general. I am also working through the Thrive booklet which I think is helping. I have only felt nausea about 5 times this month which is not bad at all.

How is your nausea now?

@Ricky, I am doing a form of CBT therapy now and it is helping a little. I am still at a point where I feel "nauseous" on a daily basis but can actually tell myself I'm not really sick it's just my nerves.. doesn't always work but sometimes is better than nothing. I am going to look into that book and see if I can get some help out of it too. I am willing to try just about anything at this point! Thats really good that it has only been 5 times for a month! I'm Definitely looking forward to those days! I hope it keeps getting better for you!

@ Kittycat, I am definitely working on reminding myself that either anxiety or hunger. Sometimes it works others is like well how do you know this isn't it this time. But its all part of the trap! It at times makes me feel like I have a split personality.. the rational one who knows its anxiety or hunger or whatever that is def. not sick, then theres that bad person (lol) that has to try to undermine and feed all the bad not true thoughts in there. I guess if for nothing else it is good for a laugh when not in the middle of an attack. Absolutely I will! I definitely believe that one day .. (hopefully very soon).. we will get past the whole phobia.. and be like most people where you don't like to get sick but are not petrified of it and it doesn't take over our minds!

There was a time when I thought I was over my emet. It was the summer when I was 15. I had been emet since I was 8 and had been through a nasty winter where I was exposed to a lot of vomiting and thoughts about vomiting. I think it was about the end of July and I hadn't been thinking about vomiting for months. I remember thinking to myself, I'm not afraid of vomiting anymore. Then not even 90 minutes later, my sister threw up in the bathroom. A week or so later, we were on a car trip and I started to feel unwell. I realized that I was emet as I ever was.

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 02-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think it's common for anxiety in general to come and go in severity, and have found the same to be true with my emet.

Thanks for all the responses.. I thought it was really weird that it was just about completely gone for like 8 years and then *bam* full force even worse than it was before.. for no real reason.. I did move back to my moms house which causes a lot of tension but it never affected me this bad till now and never thought it would cause a problem like this.. but it makes sense seeing all the responses that it isn't uncommon to come back