Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation New here and need help!!

Hello- I have been following this forum for a couple years now- it has been a great comfort to me even though I haven't participated. I have been emet since I was 9 years old. This phobia negatively affects my life in a huge way as you can all relate to. I am TERRIFIED of many things because of my emet and it makes me feel insecure daily. I took a chance and wanted to push my limits and booked a trip with my good friend to Mexico. We are at a beautiful resort and it has been pretty fun minus trying to keep my fear at bay. Today was great- I didn't eat anything suspicious, but around dinner time I got my period along with terrible D. Now I am in the midst of a huge panic attack and I have nothing familiar to calm me down like I do at home! I'm so terrified it's good poisoning. I feel so so alone and even worse bc I'm stuck in this resort room and my poor friend is trying to sleep! I don't know what to do. I'm so scared right now- this anxiety attack is overwhelming. Please help if you're there!!

Default Re: New here and need help!!

Are you feeling any better? It could just be traveller's d*, it happens a lot in countries like Mexico (some people take an oral vaccine before going to avoid it, and you can be prescribed antibiotics before you leave too.. so you'll know for next time). It doesn't necessarily cause v*, mostly it is just severe d*. Actually I never heard of it causing v*. If that's what you have, it's best not to take immodium or pepto though, because you really do want to flush the pathogen out if it's bacterial. Drink lots of safe liquids (sealed bottles of water), and if it starts to be bloody d* you will need to find a clinic there to get some antibiotics.