Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking

hey all.. just curious as to how many people do and dont smoke on here... or rather im curious to see whether being an emet effects whether we smoke or not.. im a smoker (i know i know, im too young and its bad and disgusting) and i find it realy helps wit my panick attacks, my anxiety and when im nauseous... these arent the reasons i smoke of course! im just saying it helps in those times.. kind of like a release or an escape or something.. so who else smokes and does it help ur nausea or emet-related anxiety?<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

stef - everything happens for a reason

I was a hardcore smoker (2-3 packs a day). But six month ago I quit smoking and I am really happy about it.

I feel much better as a none-smoker
    Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!

I am a smoker and I used to feel it helped my anxiety, but now it just makes it worse.My tummy gets all gurgly, my heart pounds...It's not the best feeling, but thanks so addiction, I'mstill doing it! I'm in the category of smoker wanting to quit.

Congrats Sun! How did you quit? I smoke about 2 packs a day (up significantly only in the last month or so...) and I'm on the cusp of being ready to quit. How do you know you'll be successful?

I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by emms

Congrats Sun! How did you quit? How do you know you'll be successful

I really wanted to quit smoking. I tried to quit smoking a lot of times when I was younger, but it never worked, because I didnīt really wanted to quit smoking (in my mind).

I donīt know, but I considered what are the advantages of smoking, and I couldnīt even find one. There was no reason to remain a smoker.

Besides I was (am) scared of getting cancer or other bad illness through smoking.

And one thing I learnt: cigarettes donīt help against anxiety. It is a misbelief.

I always thought cigarettes calmed me down and helped against my psychological nausea. But that is wrong.

Smoking makes all worse.

I am sure, I wonīt start smoking again, because I am so happy without it. I didnīt miss a thing from the first smoking-free day.

It was justa mind-attitude

(I am sorry I canīt explain better, my english isnīt that good)
    Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!

sun666, I think you're english is excellent from what I read.

I used to smoke (I wasn't a heavy smoker, though, only 1 pack ever 2 days). I quit when I was ready. SMoking isn't good for you, and doesn't help a thing. I feel much better now that I don't smoke. I still fear that somday I may develop some disease from when I smoked, but I know that each day that I don't, my chances and risks are reduced.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I have never smoked in my life- I had a puff once, and felt like I was going to die, and thought wow, how do people get addicted to something like this?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I find it really disrespectful when someone smokes around me. If they want to smoke, thats their choice, but I think I shouldn't have to breathe it in as well.

I understand its hard to quit, though. my boyfriend quite about 6 months ago, beacsue he knew how much I hated it, and I'm so proud of him.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I used to smoke. I still enjoy it, I won't deny that it's a good thing.
    I'm not sure if the phobia had much to do with it though. I smoked
    before that became a problem.

but I will say, that I was having a s***ty day on sunday, and gave in and had a cigarette, thinking it would help.

it did not. I mean it was good, but it did NOTHING to get rid of the
    anxiety or anything. I know it seems like it when you are an addict,
    but that's just the relief of getting rid of a craving, which isn't the
    same as getting rid of the real anxiety.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

I used to smoke socially in high school and college but then my anxiety went through the roof and I quit virtually everyhting...eating, drinking alcohol, smoking. Since then I have smoked a few times in the last couple of months, once with my college friends and a few times on vacation with my husband. I guess I associate smoking with times when i feel good and anxiety free, and those were two times I was at a good point in my anxiety. I like the buzz it gives me but usually i feel kinda nauseous after so I don't think i could ever get addicted. It's weird, about oncw a year I get a craving, smoke one and I am good for another year or two.

Yeah, i'm a smoker, not proud of the fact, but what can i say? Does it help with stress or when i'm nervous? I can honestly say it does...but does it lessen my anxety attacks..certainly not! Those will come, smoking or not smoking! I started smoking at age 13, quit at 19...then 13 friggin years later, my depression was at an all time high, and i felt like i didn't care about ANYTHING, not even my health...so i picked up a cigarette, smoked it, and the rest is history! Been smoking again for the last 8 years. If i could, i would kick myself in the A$$ for doing that!! But that's what depression did to me!

Right now i "do" have the desire to quit, but what makes it hard for me is living with someone who i like to call a "chimney"!!! So that will be extremely difficult for me to do, but i may try giving myself a brithday present this year and QUIT!! I'll be 38 on December 1st. Wish me luck everyone!!!!

Paula
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I am 39 yrs old...and I do smoke...have for about 20 something yrs now.....desparetly want to quit....it has always helped with my anxiety.....helps when I am stressed.....does not help with nausea....my kids hate it and beg me to quit all the time...you would think that would be enough incentive for me to quit. I know I need to for health reasons.....unfortunetly, i can't seem to do it on my own for some reason. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I'm a smoker....depending on circumstance (like my son isn't home, or I'm out with friends) I smoke anywhere from 1 pack in a day, to 1 pack every two days. I have tried many time to quit. I'm only 28 years old and have smoked for 17 years. Yes, I started when I was 11. THAT is sad.

I hope to quit after X-Mas, when my life takes on a better track and I feel more comfortable. Right now, I feel like i am fighting too many things that I don't have the strength to do it right now.

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I'm a smoker. I smoke like a pack every two days...about 4 packs a week....I'm 21 and I started smoking when I was 15. It helps to calm my nerves. If I am somewhere stressful or something it's always reassuring that I can go outside and have a cigarette if I need one. I want to quit but I don't want to go through all the withdrawl symptoms...which include Nausea! I don't know how I'd ever get through it!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Well I QUIT smoking about 3 years ago...I was told that smoking cigarettes only makes anxiety worse. And I also have a fear of dying..So I definately didnt want to limit my time here on earth! I went cold turkey! No patches...no gum! I still get cravings for them every once in a while. Bu tI know if I even smoked one...I would start all over again.
    *Mandi*

Nausea was never a withdrawal symptom for me when i quite for those 13 years...it's the other withdrawals that worry me..like the weight gain, irritability, jumpiness, seeing another person smoke (when I WANT one too!)

BUT, i DO remember the wonderful benefits from quitting, which keeps me wanting to quit!! Such as knowing that the first 20 minutes after you last smoked, the lining of your lungs already begin the healing process and it begins shedding off the icky mucous lining and starts developing a healthy one! You're carbon dioxide levels begin to raise again to a normal level immediately, after a short couple of months, you're chances of certain cancers begin declining..and so on! NOT to forget how your energy increases in a short time, and your breathing becomes much deeper and relaxing!!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

When ever I take a drag of a cigarette, I get very dizzyI feel like I'm gonna v*. I am obviously not a smoker!! Did any of you smokers get that feeling when you first started?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean

When ever I take a drag of a cigarette, I get very dizzyI feel like I'm gonna v*. I am obviously not a smoker!! Did any of you smokers get that feeling when you first started?

Well, I didn't feel like I was gonna v*, but I did get light headed.. kind of high. But a different high then an alcohol buzz. It was wierd. I decided that I was having one of those days when a smoker says "I need a ciggarette", and I just picked one up.

The gross part about quitting, was that I coughed up a lot of mucus. (I suppose that was my lungs healing). Either way, the first 6 months were hard... (The first week was VERY hard), but now I'm usually craving free, and enjy the extra cash. Another thing that scareed me into quitting was the fact that the treatments for cancer can cause major n* eand u to v*... so I really decided to quit. but it was hard
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

wow, Im suprised that alot of emets are smokers. I wouldhave thought the opposite. I wonder if the anxiety lvls from the nicotine have anything to do with it?

interesting...

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I smoke... I have for a long time now, and it helps me sometimes but makes me feel s***ty the nexxt. so its badddddddddddddd!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I haven't quit yet bexcelica!! I have my pills but haven't started them. I am going through a emotional rollar coaster right now and when that is done I will try to quit.

kellybean... when u said u got lightheaded and felt sick thats called a headspin... when ur a nonsmoker and hav a cigarette or u hav quit smoking and hav one after a while u will get a head spin as ur body isnt used to it... i dont know how u thought u were going to v* tho.. iv never had that.. maybe ur one of those ppl who get nauseous when they get dizzy.. who knows... but i hav quit smoking twice and started again due to my depression and anxiety (no excuses i know!) and having my firdts one again i got huuuuge headspins... but i love them! i wish every ciggarette gave u headspins! lol...

thanx for all ur replies guys!!!
    <!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

stef - everything happens for a reason

Strange this post was brought up! I had my last cigarette 12 hours ago! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I have smoked for 19 years, and finally decided that I should quit, especially since I have asthma. I have never been a heavy smoker...althought those 6-7 cigarettes every day were very much "needed". I craved those cigarettes...I relaxed with those cigarettes.

I heard also that if you quit smoking before your 35, (I am 34) you have a better chance of your lungs and heart getting back to a presmoker's, and having NO problems healthwise after about 10-15 years. I guess that stuck in my head, and I kept it with me.

Man, I am craving a cigarette SOOOOOOO bad!!!! This is horrible! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I hope it goes away soon! Charlotte
    Spring is here!

I think emet effects how willing you are to try it the first time.. at least it did for me. This one time in assembly at school, our deputy head told us a gross story about how he took his first drag behind the bike sheds and vomitted on his mates shoes. That put me off for years... but I did eventually try it.. n do it on n off for about a year,thenone day when I was late to meet my friends at the other end of town.. I cycled themile n a half or so in less than 10 minutes n when I got there everything started going black n I nearly passed out.. after that the ciggies went in the bin n I didnt touch them for years.. now I have one occasionally.. I mean, 1 every few months or something, if someone givesone to me.. I never buy them. Weirdly enough I never got addicted... even when I did it I mostly only had a couple a day, n went for weeks at a time without them with no ill effects when I was short of cash.

ontariogirl.... you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I smoked from the age of 9 to 24, I literally quite 2 months ago, from
    a cost point of view really, but to be honest the nausea has actually
    decreased, If you think about it, its like drinking alot of caffiene,
    too much of a stimulant can make you nauseas and make panic attacks
    worse, I don't know if this is medically proven but that is what I have
    found in my own experience.

Maybe the Marlboro Man was an emetophobe.

Hey, you know a lot of people would say that smoking marijuana treats nausea.

I dont think I can do it right now, how about you bexcelica?????

oh, smoking pot? thats an entirely different story...[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hey Stef, it's strange because I don't normally get nauseous when I amdizzy, but the dizziness from smokingjust makes me feel sogross,it kind of reminds me of the nauseous feeling.

Pot!! I can't smoke it, believe it or not I am allergic. No kidding, my throat feels like it is closing up on me. Too bad.

I smoke, it helps me when I am stressed. It's a bad excuse but it's the truth.