Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Paranoia

I was just reading an article in Parent's Magazine that says your kids getting a SV each winter is INEVITABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY??????

I think that happens more towards the school aged children, and honestly, I haven't come down w/ an sv* every year of my youth. Yes, I did have a few, but they were far and few inbetween.

Teach kids proper hygeine and they will be fine. They will still get s* from time to time, but I think that an sv* could be preventable.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I also was reading on a q & a site (I'm reading too much) and someone said that their family was passing an SV around and wondered if they should just stop trying to prevent it and asked if it was just inevitable that they would get it. THe answer was YES, it was inevitable, since stomach viruses are airborne!!!!!!! Are we all delusional in thinking that they aren't?

Was this a reputable website? The chance for misinformation on the internet is high.

Quote Originally Posted by donna1216
    I also was reading on a q & a site (I'm reading too much) and someone said that their family was passing an SV around and wondered if they should just stop trying to prevent it and asked if it was just inevitable that they would get it. THe answer was YES, it was inevitable, since stomach viruses are airborne!!!!!!! Are we all delusional in thinking that they aren't?

You know, in rechecking what it was, I don't think it was a doctor answering, I am hoping it was misinformation!!!

I did have a doctor friend of mine say that SV's "can be" airborne. I didn't ask her how, thpugh!!

It seems if they were air born I would have gotten them as often as my sisters did...and I was never sick NEARLY as much as my sisters were. Then again I avoided them like the plague when they were sick...but still if the viruses were air born I would have gotten them.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Well, my daughter is 9 and has only had a couple of sv's. (knock on wood) But, she's in the 4th grade. I never had one until my freshman year, so that magazine is full of poo..
    \"This too shall pass\"

Did you read the article online or somewhere we can read it? Navigating
    that parents.com site is like.... lets just say it's a poorly designed
    site.

I found the article I think Donna is referring to. It's on a website where it looks like just anyone can type their answers in to whatever question is posted.

The link is here: www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/3697 Note: the words n* and v* are used several times on this page, so don't look if these words trigger you. I read the answer and thought it was a load of crap, personally.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Jesus Christ!

Okay first of all I don't think that's an article I think it's more
    like a message board where you can post a question and people post
    answers.

Secondly, that answer is bad for emets to read. They provide a list of
    signs you have it and the ones listed are many that have other causes,
    and will probably only serve to make many of us have more panic
    attacks. For example some of the signs listed are unexplained garguling
    in the stomach, insomnia, feeling of fullness, and constipation. All of
    which can be caused by IBS, anxiety and god only knows what else!

Third, I don't think we should take this a reputable because there are
    several instances where this person is a bit inaccurate on their
    information. For example the airborne thing.......first of all they say
    "an airborne virus," implying that sv are a single virus when actually
    it's a condition that can be caused by many different viruses. Third, I
    googled the airborne thing that there were a few articles about Norwalk
    outbreaks with evidence of airborne transmission, but it does not seem
    like it's a widely agreed on fact that sv are definetly airborne all
    the time (unlike say colds).

Finally, I personally think it's rediculous to say that it's inevitable that your kids will get a sv every</span>
    year. I didn't get one every year as a kid and neither did my non-emet
    brother. That really seems like a lot. I'd consider any kid who got sv
    every single year extremely unlucky.

Edited by: chicajojobe

Yeah.. that was a really ignorant article. Ignore that crap.. we are all proof that it's bs.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I didn't read it and don't plan to lol. I agree it's probably crap just from what those who have read it have said. Check out the CDC website since they do all of the research (cientific not some dope w/a keyboard and an opinion). I've read on there that it is only airborn when you are there when it happens, something about spores or something. Also not all kids get sv every year. I didn't as a kid, my brother didn't, none of my cousins did. Mind you I'm the only emet of the bunch and 2 of my cousins are easy v*ers. I know it's hard and I can't imagine having kids and having to worry about this even moreso but you are a brave emet mom and have coped before and if necessary you will cope again. Just try not to let the fear of what MIGHT happen interfere w/ enjoying your beautiful babies.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

UM THAT SEEMED IN DIRECT OPPOSITION OF EVERYTHING I REMEMBER FROM A SV IN MY LIFE...THAT WHOLE CONSTIPATION THING? WTF...IGNORE IT IT SEEMS WACKED TO ME

You are right. ANyway, Haley has had an SV every year of her life. I'm hoping this year is a switch--but now she is in preschool with 17 other kids and their germs!!