Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT Ocular or silent migraines, anyone?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone on here suffers from silent or ocular migraines? Those are migraines without the pain but with visual disturbances. I've told my doc about it but she had no idea those were even a thing so I'm hopefully going to a new doc soon who can point me in the right direction. Anyone know anything about these or why it happens?

Default Re: OT Ocular or silent migraines, anyone?

I get them! I know its going to start as the side of my face tingles, then I get a flashing in the corner of one eye which slowly progresses across the entire eye in a sort of 'zig zag' motion! As soon as I get this I take Migraleve which normally sorts it out - I always feel kind of 'woozy' the following day. Weird! I've never figured out what my trigger is... I'm glad you're getting a 2nd opinion as this is definitely a condition.

YES! I got one a few months ago and it scared the crap out of me. I went to the ER thinking I was having a stroke, swear to god. It was an ocular migraine. Just terrifying. Thank god it fades for me in about 6 hours but it was terrifying. I don't take meds but just sit in the dark and it goes away.

vomittting VOMIT VOMIT VOMITTTT

Thanks for all the legitimate responses. I definitely need to figure out what my trigger is for this because they're coming more often.

What's with the troll over here?

Dunno - don't feed it and it will get bored... (troll, not migraine!).

I get them - rarely but I do get them....sometimes followed by a headache but more often not. Starts out like a wiggly line or dot (like I've stared at a lightbulb for too long) and then spreads out until the whole of my front and right side peripheral vision (through both eyes) is distorted and fuzzy (like I'm looking through moving water).....HATE it! Worse when it strikes and you're out and can't drive home!

I get them as well but they only last 15-30 minutes. I never have any lasting affects or pain.
    I have been reading the troll posts and they are so ridiculously stupid and hilarious. I almost feel like I am visiting a mental institution. Holy crap!

I get auras, which are very flashy and colorful disturbances in my vision. Some happen with pain, others without. Causes are numerous, but caffeine and hormones are a common cause. They happen to me if I drink my coffee on an empty stomach.
    Life is so worth living.