Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question A different kind of emet?

So this is my first post, as I just joined the site (so cool that this exists!). Scrolling through recent posts, I'm starting to realize that my emetophobia is different from...well, everyone else's, it seems.

Basically, I am not phobic of having to v*, and never have been. However, I am extremely phobic of anyone else v*ing, whether in person, on TV, anything; if ever I get the feeling that someone is about to - in person, on TV, or any other way (I became anxious once from being told that someone miles and miles away was s*) - I get a mini panic attack. I can remember every v* I have ever seen, dating back to 2nd grade (14 years ago), and each one has elicited in me the same anxious response.

My questions: Are there others with this specific type of emetophobia? If so, is there a different online space for those discussions? (Is this even emetophobia?)

Default Re: A different kind of emet?

It's different for everyone, how they are afraid of v*. Some people here are only afraid of their kids and SO being sick others are afraid of any v*, others afraid of v* themselves.... And everyone is different on the level of their fears.

Me I'm afraid of something contagious that could make me v* (and thus afraid of v* myself). I don't care for it in any case, but I have less issues if it's not something I can get

What you are describing is definitely emetophobia, and there are quite alot of emets that are afraid of others getting sick rather than themselves, although for me I am only afraid of other people vomiting in case it is something I can catch and therefore subsequently vomit myself. But there are people who are OK with being sick themselves and only scared of other people doing it.

I am the same! If I know that somebody has been s* through something that's not contagious like alcohol or whatever then I'm fine! Anything I know is or might be contagious and I totally freak out!

Had so many experiences of v* through alchol (both me and others) being a university student haha! It doesn't seem to bother me at all! Seeing v* on TV/in the street etc. doesn't bother me that much either.

I am the same as you, and I feel like there aren't as many like us at all. I am not worried about getting sick myself, never really think about it. Obviously it isn't a great experience but I don't think about it. However, the sight, smell, sound, view or anything related to someone else being sick really freaks me out. It doesn't matter what the cause is either to me.

That's the kind of emet I had, and have since recovered from. Some think that it's an easier form to deal with but it can be just as debilitating. If you'd like to talk or anything, feel free to send me a PM and we can chat

Yes, I am a weirdo too! I am ONLY scared of my 2 boys becoming ill or my husband. Anyone else I'm totally fine with. I can help anyone else around me if they are actively v*ing (child or adult) and am fine with being sick myself but if one of my boys says that their stomach hurts I fall apart. I've been told by various therapists that this form is easier to treat, but I'm still here. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. We're here for you!