Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How often does a person vomit in their lifetime?

Hi, I'm 16 and female (I read somewhere that women throw up more?), and I threw up 2 months ago. Prior to that, I had not thrown up for 10 years (at age 6 when I had the flu). The last time I threw up (the 2 months ago episode) it was from labyrinthitis (inner ear infection). I was in the car and didn't know I had it. Before I had gotten in the car, I wasn't feeling sick at all. My mom, me, and my sister were in the car driving for 40 minutes. It was on a highway and there were no sudden turns, stop lights, etc. When we stopped, I started feeling unbearably sick. My stomach wasn't upset, I just had nausea. 3 hours later I threw up. It was about 30 fl ounces (or about as tall as a bottle of Dawn Soap) of yellow bile. There was no food in there because I had not eaten that day. Well, the bile hurt like hell and burned my throat and teeth for hours. It was horrible, not to mention after I had thrown up (four times) I was dry heaving repeatedly for 10 minutes. Well, I had labyrinthitis for a month and that meant chronic nausea (it didn't "come and go" it was there non-stop for a month) so I was really scared I would throw up and a few times I almost did.
    So what I'm worried about is, is if I'll get labyrinthitis again. I heard that people that have had it once are more prone to getting it again, and they usually show up after colds. Well, a cold is going around and I'm afraid it'll happen again
    Anyway, how often do you guys throw up? Do you think my labyrinthitis will come back? I'm REALLY worried right now and I have been since after I had it happen, and then I came across this website.

Well on average how much does the average person throw up? Every 10 years? Prior to my last vomiting episode I hadn't thrown up for 10 years. Will I throw up in 10 years from now?

Default Re: How often does a person vomit in their lifetime?

Awfully graphic but for that kind of illness you should get some promethazine. It's a strong antiemetic that is designed for inner ear/balance problems. Obviously, consult a Dr as I only have some medical training not a MD. Promethazine works within an hour and will assist with most of those issues should they happen again. As for the latter part of the question, unfortunately, everyone is different. They say we get sick less often due to our phobia. Not sure you'll ever get a good answer some will say yearly while I've seen others say 25+ years. Good luck. Be well!

Honestly i think it varies from person to person. I usually v* once every 3 to 4 years. Last time I was sick was December of 2013. But some people can go a lot longer than 4 years.. I know people that haven't been sick for over 20 years!!
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Like Hannah said, it depends on the person. I'm similar to you - 16 as well, and before October, hadn't thrown up in 13 years. I still haven't had a bug in 13 years. My mom hasn't been sick in 3 years, and my dad hasn't been sick in over a decade, probably more now. Then there's my brother who is sick often, as he has a pretty weak stomach. Definitely varies, but it sounds to me that since you went through several vulnerable years without puking, it's not likely to be often for you, just like me. Emet or not, some people just have stronger stomachs and are less susceptible to being sick, or at least it seems that way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

You came to the right place, Alex! I have been working on that question since before you were born. Most people throw up every year. About a third of people throw up frequently (many times a year); about 40 percent throw up once or twice a year. About 25 percent don't throw up very often, maybe once in five years. The fourth group is very special, only about two percent of the population, and they basically throw up never; less than once every five years. I call them non-vomiters. About half of emets are non-vomiters and the other half are in the group that throws up about once in five years. You can learn more about my theory of vomit types at http://emetophobia.byethost15.com/vomittype.html. (Keep writing posts until you can view links in messages.)

You are very strong, and I think you're going to turn out to be a non-vomiter like me and the other half of us emets. Now that you've experienced labyrinthitis all the way to the point of vomiting, you've learned some things to keep yourself from vomiting if it ever happens again. You were very strong to hold off for three hours. Most people puke within a half hour of feeling nauseated.

Welcome to IES, and I hope you will continue to share about your experience as an emetophobe.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think it is laryngitis! Labyrinth's are fairytale type mazes

Yeah, as a kid I think I v 3 times (3 episodes) that I remember...6/7, 13 and I think 16...maybe just the first two, actually. Once as an adult about 10 years ago but it was just spit up. I held it down. I had a baby 8 years ago and was ms every but never v. I also had a few mild bugs since my son was born but fought v each time. I never have taken a medicine to not v, no zofran or anything.

My brother has v maybe 5 times in his life. He is not emet. I do not remember my dad ever v in my life (I am almost 38) and my mom v twice that I can remember (once she was sick when I was 13 and once was after anesthesia when she decided a glass of mango juice was a good idea...).

Not very often in the answer. I don't know ANY grown adults that v*s every year (living on a military base we know hundreds of people). I am not scared of v*ing myself so I don't go through all of the measures that everyone here does (not even close) and the last time I v* was 6 years ago when I had fp*. I never v*ed in Jr. High, High School, college or through my early 20's. I did catch a bug from our church nursery when I was 27 and then again when I was 28. Only a small % of my friends v* in a given year and 99% of them caught something from their children. If you're not a young child, a geriatric patient or a young parent caring for a v*ing child it's unlikely that you would have a reason to v*. Most people don't.

labyrinthitis is a condition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis It's just awful. I have had it before. Gave me extreme vertigo.

maybebaby - WOW, you learn something new every day! I have literally never heard of it in my entire life!!!!

(hanging head in shame)

Sorry I should have warned I haven't heard of promethazine, I'll try it, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gartc003 View Post
    Awfully graphic but for that kind of illness you should get some promethazine. It's a strong antiemetic that is designed for inner ear/balance problems. Obviously, consult a Dr as I only have some medical training not a MD. Promethazine works within an hour and will assist with most of those issues should they happen again. As for the latter part of the question, unfortunately, everyone is different. They say we get sick less often due to our phobia. Not sure you'll ever get a good answer some will say yearly while I've seen others say 25+ years. Good luck. Be well!

Thank you! I haven't heard of the non-vomiter thing. I hope that's me!
    Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    You came to the right place, Alex! I have been working on that question since before you were born. Most people throw up every year. About a third of people throw up frequently (many times a year); about 40 percent throw up once or twice a year. About 25 percent don't throw up very often, maybe once in five years. The fourth group is very special, only about two percent of the population, and they basically throw up never; less than once every five years. I call them non-vomiters. About half of emets are non-vomiters and the other half are in the group that throws up about once in five years. You can learn more about my theory of vomit types at (Keep writing posts until you can view links in messages.)

You are very strong, and I think you're going to turn out to be a non-vomiter like me and the other half of us emets. Now that you've experienced labyrinthitis all the way to the point of vomiting, you've learned some things to keep yourself from vomiting if it ever happens again. You were very strong to hold off for three hours. Most people puke within a half hour of feeling nauseated.

Welcome to IES, and I hope you will continue to share about your experience as an emetophobe.

Doug

alex J. You're going to have to get your doctor to go along with the promethazine thing as it is prescription only in the US. It's not a bad drug, and is very safe except for patients with certain conditions and the very young and very old. It's very cheap and a really great antihistamine, the only down side is that you do not want to get to used to taking antiemetics unless you are sick and need them. It can be a slippery slope, but if you have inner ear problems you DO need them. It sounds like a really crappy problem to have, so sorry ):

Depends. I'm the type of person that won't throw up unless it's something SUPER serious, and may not even throw up then lol.. I'm 28 and haven't thrown up since I was a teen.. Probably 14-15ish.. Although I've come close, I think my body has become accustomed to the fact that I do not want to vomit. On the rare occasion that I get food poisoning or eat something bad, I will get n*.. and then it will turn into d* and I never throw up.

YES, Labyrinthitis is very real and awful...I've had it too. And unfortunately had it twice...once was bad and the second time wasn't as bad or lasted as long. And I am petrified of getting it again. Both were either during or after a cold...so of course now I am afraid of colds as well!! I was given meclizine for it, which is an anti-emetic and motion sickness med...makes you very tired. But I understand your fears...I've heard there isn't much you can do to prevent it, but there are exercises (visual) to help your brain start compensating for the dizziness and thus you heal faster. Good luck and keep in touch...I don't know many people who have had this so it's good to know you!! Welcome!

I'm so sorry Labyrinthitis is total hell. I'm still having the after effects of it and it's been like a month or two I think. I have headaches, auditory hallucinations, n*, achy body, insomnia, weakness, fatigue, tremors, slurred speech, stomach aches, appetite loss, weight loss, light and noise sensitivity (every light is so bright I squint and feel as if I'll go blind, and every sound is loud enough to make me nearly cover my ears), and I have lots of blackouts and I go blind for about 3-4 minutes at a time at least a few times a week. I don't know if it's after effects of labyrinthitis or what, but it's taking over my life. At least the n* isn't as bad and there is no v*ing. I'll try all your recommendations everybody, I really want this to go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by andee View Post
    YES, Labyrinthitis is very real and awful...I've had it too. And unfortunately had it twice...once was bad and the second time wasn't as bad or lasted as long. And I am petrified of getting it again. Both were either during or after a cold...so of course now I am afraid of colds as well!! I was given meclizine for it, which is an anti-emetic and motion sickness med...makes you very tired. But I understand your fears...I've heard there isn't much you can do to prevent it, but there are exercises (visual) to help your brain start compensating for the dizziness and thus you heal faster. Good luck and keep in touch...I don't know many people who have had this so it's good to know you!! Welcome!

I swear this sounds like many of my days but I always get told its a migraine! Today I was a mess for 6 hours...had to lay down, dark, so dizzy the room was a tilt a whirl. I put my phone on super dim and tweeting a bit but otherwise I was dead....