Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Which are you more afraid of? Emetophobia or panic attacks?

I ask this question because for the past 8-9 months I've become increasingly agoraphobic. My panic attacks had started to take over my life and I started seeing a pattern in my behaviour (avoiding going shopping - will do everything online instead. Stopped going in to University, quit my part time job, can't use public transport etc etc). I realised I was avoiding these things in fear of having a general panic attack which would then morph into a panic attack over the uneasy feeling in my stomach.

I can't go very far - and I'm talking steps - before I'm feeling the churning stomach, the closing of the throat, the heaviness of a dizzy head... and from there it's a downward spiral until I feel safe again. Which usually means going home

I've folded further and further into myself, I've got the social life of a fork and I find it nearly impossible to talk to people without causing myself extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I feel hopeless and I don't know where to start!

Never did I imagine myself at the age of 21 housebound and having limited access to life...

Default Re: Which are you more afraid of? Emetophobia or panic attacks?

Hi huni. I must say, the social life of a fork did make me chuckle. Other than that, I feel you. I'm 22, live in a flat with my So and only really step outside to go to the shop (which I can't do very well alone), or go for a nightly walk with my neighbor and her dog. It sucks. Ive never had a job, and I quit going to school in 2008. What I do know is that, continuing this is very bad and you should try and "expose" yourself more. Say if you can only walk 10 steps from your door, try walking yet another step, and then go home. Then keep doing that. That's what I did when I couldnt go shop, and while it took a little while, it did work out pretty ok. Can you maybe put some music on to shield you from the surrounding?

Big hugs. Xxx
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Default Re: Which are you more afraid of? Emetophobia or panic attacks?

I guess both. I also have agoropabia and anxiety and really really severe OCD (locking my front door is a process and takes 15 minutes). I guess I just expect the panic attacks and know the difference so I suffer but manage to get out. I have to. I am single with a kid, I can't hide as much as I want to.

I agree that alot of it is just forcing yourself to take those extra steps, like Felle said.

And don't feel bad, I have zero social life. I mean, my best friend is across the US and although we text 200 times a day, we have never met (we met on a mommy board 9 years ago). My closest friends are from twitter and also we just text. I am close with a neighbor but we hang out at his place a few doors down and maybe in the bar downstairs in our lobby. today I am forcing myself to meet a new twitter friend for a movie...but I have to psych myself up. I hate being away from home unless I am alone and know I can return anytime.