Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just thinking and realized what causes me so much anxiety about a sv*

I was on my way home from dropping my kids off at school and I was pondering on why I'm an emet. What about v* causes me so much panic and anxiety. I mean really, it's not THAT bad. I've had some experience with it over the last couple of years by being struck with 2 sv* and then just had a 3rd one which just caused d* I was thinking, all 3 of those times, I never once panicked once I realized I was sick and was going to be sick. Its like I came to terms with it, I accepted it, it wasn't fun, but it happened and it was over. What I realized its not so much the actual v* part that freaks me out, it's the anticipation of WHEN it will happen that gets me. That and if it will happen when I'm not at home. I mean don't get me wrong, nobody likes to v* but doing it in public is even worse. Another thing I figured out, is I"m terrified of being so sick that I have to go to the hospital. The last 2 sv* I had where I had v* I only had it once and it wasn't so bad but if it would've kept happening over and over then I probably would've been really scared. I don't know, just had some random thoughts and figured I'd post about it.

Was about v* that scares you? What are you most afraid of?

Default Re: Just thinking and realized what causes me so much anxiety about a sv*

Mines pretty much like yours. Ive had quite a few sv over the years and it really isn't that bad once it's happening and everytime after I have it I feel great I coped and wonder to myself why I was ever panicking. Then of course thats short lived within a couple of weeks I go back to extreme panic incase it happens when I'm not at home it's my biggest fear, becoming that unwell outside my home

Default Re: Just thinking and realized what causes me so much anxiety about a sv*

I'm exactly the same way. Last time I had it was 3 years ago, had a panic attack when I started feeling n* but wasn't sure if it was just because I ate too much. Tried sipping on water but that didn't help. Then I get messages from several of my classmates that they had sudden onset n/v that day and I realized we all caught something. Once I accepted it I actually felt a lot better... the n* continued to come in waves but I fought it off. Eventually I was so exhausted that I decided to allow myself to be sick and it was unpleasant at worst and then I felt so much better. I slept for hours and never became that n* or v* again.

It's the unknown that's scary. It's knowing that it can strike at anytime. It's terrifying to me that it could happen in public, especially when I'm far away from home. But actually accepting it and dealing with it is nowhere near as bad as our minds think it will be.

Too bad we can't convince our subconscious of this!

Yep, 100%! I can't handle n*. When I'm truly feeling ill, I want to v* because I KNOW that it helps. The actual process of v*ing isn't nearly as bad as the buildup, but the thought of when, how, and where really bothers me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I can't say for me. I realize some of my worries regarding vomiting include: the smell, taste, lack of control, and mess. I just remember doing it non-stop, when I was little, until I fell asleep. A lot of my memories are somewhat blurred because it happened so long ago and I think I blocked most of it out.