Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does this phobia/anxiety cause you to lie to those around you?

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of texting my boss to say I can't come into work the next two days purely because it is causing me a lot of anxiety and worry on my mind. I feel terrible about lying but I feel like I need time to myself and to try and relax... at the same time I know work is a good distraction for me. I am a substitute teacher though and it's sort of constant challenging anxiety inducing work. Anyway I just wanted to know if you lie too? Maybe to friends and family? I've been known to cancel plans with people a lot because of this phobia and anxiety... does this make it okay to lie?

Eeeep.

Have a good one x
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Does this phobia/anxiety cause you to lie to those around you?

(Sorry- accidentally must have hit the post button before I was done typing and don't know how to delete)
    Last edited by Afdpt; 05-19-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Accidental posting

I have the temptation sometimes and I'm sure I've done it on occasion but for the most part I don't allow it. In a way I'm lucky to have a job where it's very difficult for me to call out so that's not even an option unless I'm definitely very sick. And as far as other, more social stuff I feel like I have more control so I remind myself I can leave whenever I want if I want to. One thing I do do though is try to arrange things so I can drive myself or with only 1 other person if I go out - that way I can leave when I want to without feeling like I'm interfering with anyone else's time.

I can't say I've called our of work because of anxiety/emet but I have avoided plans because of it. Like Afdpt said above, when I have social plans I do try to arrange so I can drive myself or just my hubby and I. That way I can leave if I want/need to. I get a lot of anxiety when I'm carpooling with someone, even family. I need to have control over that situation.

I lie A LOT out of shame. I'm so embarrassed to have this fear (I know I shouldn't be) that I end up lying to cover up the real reason for me not going somewhere or avoiding someone.

When my emet was really bad in 2008 I ended up having to quit my job because I became housebound. Thankfully my Husband had a decent job because I honestly couldn't do anything. .after a short time I got mostly better and found another job but it was scary

I've never lied to get out of work or at work, but I've for sure done it at school and lied to my friends. If I start to have a panic attack, I'll bail on plans for the day and go home. Probably the worst thing to do for myself. Thankfully I have a best friend who is super open and understanding, and although she doesn't deal with anxiety, she sympathizes and can understand how hard it is for me. So I'll always let her know, usually she'll suggest we do something mellow to put my mind at ease!

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."