Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Heat Triggers Anxiety

Anyone else have certain temperatures cause their anxiety to spike? Heat does it for me, because years ago I threw up after an incident that involved intense heat. Today was the first day I went out of the year while it was mildly hot. I went to the mall to get a gift card and was fine as there was wind coming my way, and upon coming back the way I was walking had no breeze coming to my front, so I got extremely hot and felt SO sick and anxious (even though in reality, it wasn't THAT hot). It's why in the summer I tend to take walks during the evening instead of afternoon.
    I have deep trouble going to anyone's house because so many people feel the need to make the temp in their houses sky high.
    Last edited by Maige; 06-04-2015 at 04:05 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

Default Re: Heat Triggers Anxiety

Extreme heat can definitely cause nausea, and, in the same vein, cooling can help it so one of the first things I do if I start feeling sick is get a cold rag for my face.
    However, I don't really have a problem with hot weather because I've lived in warm climates all my life, so I'm used to it.
    Maybe bring a cold water bottle along to sip on hot days?

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe View Post
    Extreme heat can definitely cause nausea, and, in the same vein, cooling can help it so one of the first things I do if I start feeling sick is get a cold rag for my face.
    However, I don't really have a problem with hot weather because I've lived in warm climates all my life, so I'm used to it.
    Maybe bring a cold water bottle along to sip on hot days?

I live in Canada so I was made for cold weather more than half the year around. I only feel sick when I'm outside in natural heat, if I'm in my house with a fan I'm completely fine. A water bottle does sound like a good idea though for when I'm on my longer walks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Maige View Post
    I live in Canada so I was made for cold weather more than half the year around. I only feel sick when I'm outside in natural heat, if I'm in my house with a fan I'm completely fine. A water bottle does sound like a good idea though for when I'm on my longer walks.
    Haha, I'm totally the opposite!

I'm way more likely to feel sick if I'm trapped in a muggy building, but being outside in the sun feels totally natural to me, even on days when it's in the high 90s Fahrenheit. Now, yeah, on days like that I definitely say to myself "Dang, it's a hot day!"
    Inside, though, even when it's cold outside, if a place is crowded full of warm bodies AND blasting the heater too high...ugh, that's just so awful. That's when I feel queasy.

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe View Post
    Haha, I'm totally the opposite!

I'm way more likely to feel sick if I'm trapped in a muggy building, but being outside in the sun feels totally natural to me, even on days when it's in the high 90s Fahrenheit. Now, yeah, on days like that I definitely say to myself "Dang, it's a hot day!"
    Inside, though, even when it's cold outside, if a place is crowded full of warm bodies AND blasting the heater too high...ugh, that's just so awful. That's when I feel queasy.
    Now I'm exactly the same at the last part. I HATE when people blast the heaters to the high heavens in any building, even up here where it can gets deathly cold outside.

I am the total opposite...the freezing temperatures make me sooo anxious. The last winter we had was horrible, and I just kept getting anxious every time we had to go out, esp at night. Part of it is thinking what if we get stranded, and how dangerous the cold can be. Also, I feel sorry for all the homeless people, homeless animals, anything that has to be outside. And all the illnesses are in the winter too. I just hate it. Funny how different it is for us all.

I love the heat!! But that being said it can make others not feel well. Have you tried something like always carrying a cold drink with you?

For me it is situational. For example, if it is mid summer and I'm outside at the beach, barbeque, or anywhere else and I feel hot - no anxiety because I associate that as a normal way to feel. If it is mid winter and I'm inside somewhere and start to feel hot - it can set off my anxiety because I associate the change in temperature as my body temperature moving toward a fever and fear I will become sick. In those situations if I step outside to cool down and my anxiety pretty much melts away completely.