Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Did he or didn't he ?

My emetophobia fear has started to creep back in all because I seen someone in a car park walk over to a waist high fence and look over it.I thought he was going to be sick and I froze.I began to shake and blocked my ears in case I heard him being sick.I don't know if he did or not because I quickly ran in to the shopping mall.I can't get the vision out of my mind.

Default Re: Did he or didn't he ?

You just have to convince yourself he did not get sick ... Trust me, I've been there and the vision will eventually get out of your mind. Just think about something else and convince yourself it was nothing.

If your mind doesn't want to forget about it then use than to your advantage. Keep replaying it over and over again. So what if he was sick? As yourself that. What does it matter if he was sick? Does that impact your safety? Not at all! What are the many reasons someone may be sick? It's just part of life, it happens, and then its over. If he was sick, he probably let it happen and then felt better. He's probably doing so well right now, don't let yourself suffer more than the person who was actually sick!

Desensitize yourself to that image. MAKE yourself picture it over and over again. And each time tell yourself, "that wasn't a big deal. so what if someone got sick, it happens every day."

Trying to run or hide from it is more likely to make it worse. Let your brain know "that wasn't anything to be afraid of!" "See, I can picture it and see it in my mind and I'm still safe!" Embrace that as good exposure and use it to help yourself!

More likely he was looking for something. I am a bird nerd so I am doing things like that ALL OF THE TIME!!!! Seriously, I am always looking over fences because I see birds dart down and I want to know what kind they are. Also, my dad has done that sort of thing when things have blown out of the car before. Unlikely that he was sick and a TON more likely that he was looking for something. Regardless, you are safe and it doesn't matter what he was doing as it had nothing to do with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Afdpt View Post
    If your mind doesn't want to forget about it then use than to your advantage. Keep replaying it over and over again. So what if he was sick? As yourself that. What does it matter if he was sick? Does that impact your safety? Not at all! What are the many reasons someone may be sick? It's just part of life, it happens, and then its over. If he was sick, he probably let it happen and then felt better. He's probably doing so well right now, don't let yourself suffer more than the person who was actually sick!

Desensitize yourself to that image. MAKE yourself picture it over and over again. And each time tell yourself, "that wasn't a big deal. so what if someone got sick, it happens every day."

Trying to run or hide from it is more likely to make it worse. Let your brain know "that wasn't anything to be afraid of!" "See, I can picture it and see it in my mind and I'm still safe!" Embrace that as good exposure and use it to help yourself!
    ^^This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Afdpt View Post

100% this. Even if he WAS sick, it doesn't hurt or harm you. You are fine and will be fine. I know it's a shocking/scary thing for us. But whatever he was doing cannot harm you! Keep positive, use it to your advantage!
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I think he was looking for a bird, he is a bird watcher looking for birds. Just tell yourself that! I hate when I see someone open their car door at a stop light on the road. I saw a girl do that today and quickly averted my eyes. But I'm not gonna dwell on it!