Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Discontinuing an Antacid--Question!

Hi so last May I was put on Prilosec for indigestion or acid reflux/heart burn. Well I went to my GI doctor yesterday and told her how that didn't seem to be working because I still get horrible indigestion after a meal (mostly at night) accompanied by n*.

Anyway, has anyone taken a similar antacid and gone off it? I am afraid I will experience withdrawal symptoms that will lead me to n* or v* because of this medication blocking my stomach acid. What will happen when I stop taking it?

I cannot deal with additional n* or any of that right now! I am already tapering off an antidepressant which causes me to feel that way! Now I have to taper off two meds?! I'm angry and feel very gloomy about all of this.

Let me know what you guys think/if you had to do something similar with something like Prilosec, Nexium, etc.

Default Re: Discontinuing an Antacid--Question!

Hi! I have GERD so I've been taking acid reflux. You're supposed to take it maximum 14 days, but if you're worried, you can begin to wean yourself off at day 7. (ex. taking half a pill per day, instead of a full one).

I've read if you are on a PPI (like Prilosec) for longer than 8 weeks, you can have heartburn or indigestion when you're off of it. But 8 weeks is a long time to be on a PPI.
    http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/...eflux-symptoms
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
    Hi so last May I was put on Prilosec for indigestion or acid reflux/heart burn. Well I went to my GI doctor yesterday and told her how that didn't seem to be working because I still get horrible indigestion after a meal (mostly at night) accompanied by n*.

Anyway, has anyone taken a similar antacid and gone off it? I am afraid I will experience withdrawal symptoms that will lead me to n* or v* because of this medication blocking my stomach acid. What will happen when I stop taking it?

I cannot deal with additional n* or any of that right now! I am already tapering off an antidepressant which causes me to feel that way! Now I have to taper off two meds?! I'm angry and feel very gloomy about all of this.

Let me know what you guys think/if you had to do something similar with something like Prilosec, Nexium, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've never heard of withdrawal for going off Prilosec. However, I have heard of people suffering more vomiting and diarrhea than they would have because they took Prilosec and it reduced their stomach acid, thereby reducing how many viruses and bacteria entering their stomach that could be killed.

I would suggest eating sooner before bed so your digestion is mostly complete by the time you go to bed. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can stop an acid reducer cold turkey. It doesn't have withdrawal properties when you go off of it. You may have more indigestion, but not like going off of an antidepressant or a med like that.