Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine just got back from an Alaskan cruise and she got the dreaded Norwalk, as did the majority of the ship and 32 out of the 42 in her group! Luckly her elderly father was one of the lucky ones who escaped it. She said she v'd three times in two hours and then felt weak and awful for three days.

Now, a mutual friend of ours is having a baby shower next Sunday and I would like to go with her, but my question is, it it safe? She says as of today she had Norwalk over a week ago, and by next Sunday it will be just past two weeks. I've read people can carry the virus for up to two weeks, but more likely only three days after. We will be in a car together for an hour and then at the shower and back home. I want to see her, and our pregnant friend. I don't want emet to rule my life. Would you go, especially since by then it will be over two weeks since she had symtoms? Part of my worries are that I have three kids and I don't want them to get it either, and we have a trip planned in a few weeks too.

Would you go? I know most people would thinkI am nuts but as fellow emets I know you know where I am coming from. I've done alot for being an emet (having three kids via c-section, being a mommy etc.) so I've come a long way but hearing the Norwalk word had put me a few steps backward! Thanks for any replies and advise!

I can understand your fears...but more than likely she is not still carrying the virus...you should just go with her and have fun...good luck...but i am sure you will be fine!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I'd go and have a wonderful time with your friend...the chances are EXTREMELY slim that you could get it. Yes, it can be carried for up to 2 weeks in fecal matter, but that is it. You will have a wonderful time and be just fine, I am sure of it. I know that it is scary, but I really am sure that it is ok.
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

It's been two weeks. Don't even worry about it.

HI, you'll be fine. Just follow the usual precautions and wash your hands well.

A friend of mine just got back from a cruise on the Med and he had Norwalk too. In fact it was all over the ship, it sounds awful.

I heard about two ships in Scotland with noroviruses on-board (and some kind of problems with the toilets - eeeew!) I almost managed to reason it out until I found that one had docked at my home city. Lovely.

As far as your friend goes, I'm sure shes back to normal and there won't be anything nasty hanging around now. I think they spread quickly in a contained environment like a cruise ship . . . don't reckon anyone on this site will be booking their round the world cruise now!![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone. I will go and not worry, especially since it will be two weeks since she had it.