Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So, i'm new here.. im not so sure whats going on, but I found this website and i'm desperate to get better. My bf and i were in fl and I felt horrible- he was so sick, he has the worst food poisoining ever- and i would leave the room when he would go to the bathroom... i cant tell you how horrible i feel about myself. this happened 7 months ago, and i still cry any time i think about it. i would come back in and he would comfort me- after him throwing up.. he would comfort me. i am the worst person on the face of this earth, and i hate it. how do i get over this??? please help.

your not a terrible person....it is terrible, i do agree. And, im not sure how to get over it. I am trying to figure that one out myself. I have 3 kids at home, and i hate it when they get sick, cause i wont get near them and i make them stay in their rooms for like 4 days. I feel like a terrible parent. Im sorry, but i dont have any advice how to get over it. Just know, there are a ton of people like you out there, and you are not a bad person!

I know exactly how you feel. I think my fear got even worse after I discovered my sister v* after getting food posioning. I am obsessed with getting it...but I have gotten better. I don't know if there really is a cure, but just know you are not a terrible person. You have a genuine fear, and even though your boyfriend may have been feeling sick, he was a wonderful man to comfort you and try to help you through your fear. Never feel that way! Welcome to the site, and you will find alot of people on here that feels the same way you do, and we all help each other.

Michele

I also play over and over incidents that involve v*, and it is really traumatic for me. I think you need to just try to control your mind when it goes there, and force yourself to think of something else or do something to distract you. I do this, and it really does help. You are not a terrible person. If you had a fear of heights, it wouldn't be unreasonable to never go on an airplane. At least you stayed in the same vicinity as your boyfriend, I may have slept outside! Welcome to the site and I hope it can help you with support and understanding! Janna

You are not a bad person!! You are very lucky your BF understands your phobia. I know it sucks that you couldn't be there for him while he was sick, but you were there for him the rest of the time he was sick and that's probably all he needed!! He knows you didn't leave on purpose. I'm glad you found this site so you can get support when needed. Welcome!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome! Please don't feel guilty, you are not a bad person. You have a phobia, and you can work on getting better, but it is not your fault that you have this. Read the sticky posts in the "Treatments" section, there is some good info there.

I'm so sorry, I know exactly what that must've been like. Although I don't think I could ever have a boyfriend, guys don't like me. But he's really sweet and I think he understands-don't feel bad about it. You couldn't help it, neither would I have been able to.