Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OCD?

Anyone here have OCD? Well, yeah duh there are bond to be people here that have OCD, but do you remember how you developed it? If you know what I mean, like what were your earilest actions of OCD.

..If that makes sense.

i have it..everything just has to go in a certain order, i cant walk in certain areas, my stuff has to be in a certain order or i get sick...if im driving i have to drive in certain areas...i have a specific order for EVERYTHING lol...ive had it since iv had emet...going on 11yrs now its no biggy ive done it so much do u have it?

I'm not sure if I have it.

I think I'm developing it, though. Like, when did you find out that you had OCD, and did you have like, little things that you did, then you just had more and more things you didn't allow yourself to do?

Like, right now, whenever I have little emet issues I pace in my bathroom, while pacing, I breath in 7, count out 11, and then in between those, I sip three sips of water, then do it over again till I'm calm, and I'm not allowed to be in my bedroom while trying to relax myself...

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a brain disorder that causes problems in information processing. The brain gets stuck on a particular thought or urge and can’t let go. It consists of both obsessions and compulsions, which the name suggests. OCD is treatable so that a person can live a relatively successful, normal life. Symptoms of OCD include:
    Obsessions: Obsessions are thoughts, images and impulses that occur over and over again and feel as if they are out of your control. They are often accompanied by uncomfortable feelings such as disgust, fear and doubt.
    Some common obsessions include:
    - Fear of germs
    - Need to ask, tell or confess
    - Need to have things just so
    - Imagining having harmed self/others
    - Intrusive sexual thoughts/urges
    Compulsions: Compulsions are acts a person performs over and over again, often according to certain rules. They are performed to make obsessions go away or to obtain relief. Symptoms cause distress to victims and take up a lot of their time and every day life. Some common compulsions include:
    - Washing
    - Repeating
    - Counting
    - Checking
    - Ordering/ arranging
    - Hoarding
    - Praying
    - Touching
    All of these sorts of obsessive or compulsive behaviours are normal at one time or another. It’s when they persist or cause distress or interfere with daily functioning that medical help should be sought.
    In OCD victims, these obsessions and compulsions take over a person’s life. They cause distress, take up a lot of time and interfere with a person’s life. If they are not treated, the victim basically becomes a slave to the disease. Unfortunately many people with OCD are embarrassed about their symptoms and do not seek help for some time. It sometimes takes up to 10 years for people to seek help.
    In 1/3 of OCD cases, the victims developed symptoms as children. The other 2/3 develop symptoms during adolescence or early adulthood.
    OCD that developed in childhood is thought to run in families. However OCD that is developed later in life is not inherited.

i hope this helps you............just here to help lemme know [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

So, do you think from my little..thing that I do I'm developing OCD?

It's also important to remember that OCD is an anxiety disorder and as we're all people with an anxiety disorder already, then it's easy to have it be manifested in some ways as OCD - for some people the OCD is more prominent, or worse. Once you know it's anxiety, you can work at treating it much like you treat the phobia - by gradually desensitizing to the stimuli. So for instance the rituals of taking 3 sips of water is a coping mechanism to calm you down. If you didn't take the 3 sips of water, you'd be more anxious. So the trick to treating it is to slowly stop doing the rituals and then cope with the ensuing anxiety by relaxation techniques, etc.

I had OCD symptoms only when I was about 5 or 6 years old - after my brother died. Didn't know it was OCD until like 25 years later. But I sort of "cured myself" of it by just stopping doing the rituals. (Which is the only cure anyway, I discovered later). I used to count everything, not step on the pattern on the lino, check the lights switch over and over, etc. Don't ask how I coped with the anxiety of stopping this stuff - I don't remember back that far. Maybe I just discovered that nothing would happen to me if I didn't do these rituals. I remember thinking that they were just "habits". Weird.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.