Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

***GRAPHIC***

AAHHHHHH!!!! I could scream! One of my clients is in the hospital, and I had to go pick up some papers from her to file at the court. Well, I really didn't wanna go, but she may not be released before the allotted time she has to file. SO, I went to her hospital room, where she had a 'roommate'. I was talking to her and going over her paperwork, then i hear the VERY OLD lady say to the nurse, "I'm so sick". Well, my emet antennae were at full alert at this point. Then, about 2 minutes later, she started to v* her guts out!!!! UGH!!!! So the hurse came in and emptied her bowl, and flushed it down the toilet, with the door open!! UGH! Well, the lady doesn't stop v* the whole time I was there, so i told my client Connie that I had to leave because I had an appointment. Then as I was ready to leave, I heard the nurse tell the lady that they don't know why she keeps v*-ing, and the lady said the dreaded words, "well, it all started with the stomach flu......." GEEZ!! So, I am contaminated at this point, and had errands to run but now I'm home and headed for the shower, after taking some AIRBORNE.

My question's:

1) did i have to be right there next to her in order to catch this?

2) if it is norwalk, can i catch it by being by the bed next to hers, with the curtain dividing the two beds? the curtain wasn't fully shut, ant doesn't go up to theceiling, but does blockthe general area of her bed.

3) maybe it;s not even norwalk?

4) if it is norwalk, which is contagious, would they put her in a room with someone else with a compromised immune system (cancer)??

Pleashelp me! I am panicing,and now that horrible experience will be in my brain for weeks!! Thank you in advance whoever helps me on this.......
    ~*~Charlene~*~

im sooo sorry you had to go through that!!

i don't know a lot about this kind of stuff but i think it is likely that one would catch something if they were next to the person that was sick BUT since you had the curtain between the two of you, you are probably okay. good luck and let us know how you are doing!!

-hayley xoxo
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

Oh, Charlene, what a nightmare!

To be honest, it doesn't sound as if you were close enough to be contaminated. And if you didn't touch your face (which I'm sure you didn't!) then went home and showered, then you should be safe. Just because this lady had a virus doesn't mean it was Norwalk. Elderly people are always going to be sicker with something like this - a younger person might just have had d*. I agree with your last point too. Someone with a virus shouldn't be placed next to someone with a weakened immune system. Not sure what Airborne is, but I hope it helps. I really do think you're ok, though.

I don't think you were close enough either. Plus I really don't see them putting a contagious person in w/ someone w/ a compromised immune system ... if they do they're dumb!

I'm really sorry you were in that position but bravo for staying as long as you did! I would have suddenly had to leave ... right then! lol
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree with everyone, I don't think there is any possible way to catch it like that, I could see if you were picking up the vomit and flushing it down the toilet but you weren't even close to it, remember you have to ingest the virus and you weren't anywhere near the vomit to even ingest it, I mean even the nurse if she picked up the bucket in threw it away and then washed her hands and not touch her face or anything, she would probably be fine too. I don't think you have anything to worry about, and older people always get sick more just like children they don't have a very strong immune system and are able to catch alot more, and I'm sure your young so I really think you will be fine no I know you will be fine I should say! stay calm and just relax!

I just wanted to say that it would be really messed up if they did put someone with something contagious in a room with a cancer patient. God, I am so sorry you had to experience this. ick. sorry. But, I agree with everyone else as far as you not having to worry about being exposed. I know it's hard, but try to not think about it.
    \"This too shall pass\"

OMG... i have been in a similiar situation as this one.. its sooo funny how your emet takes over and you can just HEAR if anyones says they feel sick or they say they feel like they may v*

so funny too cuz no one else around seems to hear it! but its like a 5 star alarm to you! I remember when this happened to me we were waiting in the ER room and this guy was v***** alll over the place in garbage cans... it was sooooooo horrible! I had to take a xanex and we werent even at the hospital for me! ugh..

its hard to say when things are contagious.. i have heard conflicting things.. which make me not so comfortable.. one that its actually contagious 2 days before you have symptons and second i heard was that its contagious if you come in contact in the actual v* or d* like it gets on you some how.. i dunno.. either way i would still be bothered!

Awww hun thats horrible.. im sorry i am not much help but i would have died! I would have done anything to get myself out of that room and FAST!!!

Im sorry that had to happen to you!

hugs

Kristin

Awww, thanks everyone!

Ok, as if the hospital issue wasn't bad enough for one day--here's what else happened to me today: I went to the dr., and he found a "dimple" on my (tmi?) nipple--wonderful. He said that happens sommetimes when there's a breast mass, but he didn't feel one. My ovarian cysts are back I think, so I will be getting an ultrasound done on those, and I'll request for it to be done on my boobs also. Then, the a/c dies on my car (got it fixed though), then I went to the store, and the Sarah Mclaughlin song, "Angel" was playing in there, which is the song played at my Mom's funeral *tears*, then while at the same store, my keyring broke, and all of my 45 keys flew all over the floor and counter! Then,at the same store again, I picked up pics I had developed, look at them in my car, then am horrified when I realize that the self-pics I took had my naked boobs in them (it's hard to focus when you self-pic-ing)! So now the film processors at the store I go to every week have seen my naked boobs! Then, after my "I'mm depressed and scared" cry, hubby hugged me (had to tell him to) and took me to dinner, where I enjoyed my meal and spoiled it all by having a full-blown panic attack. I got cramps, started sweating alot, and almost lost consciousness! It took 2 Rolaids, a fan, and 4 napkins to dry the sweat on my face and neck to calm me down! Wow. I reeeeaaaalllyy want this day to be over now!! Know what though?? When I got on here and read all of your replies, you all made me smile, so thank you so much!!!!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

It may not even have been the stomach flu that made her sick. Maybe she just thought it was. When my husband's grandmother was in the hospital, they had her on morphine, and she v* like crazy from it. That stuff made her so sick. So maybe the lady was on some medication that made her sick, and she just assumed she had a bug. Here's hoping! But anyway, I'm sure you will be all right. I don't have any other advice, but I'm sorry you had such a bad day. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aww, Charlene. I'm sorry you had such an awful day! I seriously doubt that the hospital would put a contagious person in the same room as someone with a compromised immune system. That is so scary to have been there for that.
    I hope the rest of your night goes better, and you get some sleep. Maybe have a relaxing bath and a cup of tea. Let us all know how you are doing tomorrow. Sending you (((hugs)))!

Sorry you had to go through this. I don't think you were close enough at the hospital to catch anything, but I know how worried you must be feeling, especially with everything else that happened to you in the same day. I hope you have a better day today.

Oh no Charlene, what a couple of horrible days for you. You desserve to treat and pamper yourself big style. If I were nearer I would come over and whisk you away for a pampering and relaxing spa day!

We all have these off days, when everything seems to go against us and Sod's Law is at work big style.

Here's a few funny pics to try and make you smile [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Dog secrets...

[img]uploads/images/tcsarah/B3F_dog-secrets1.jpg[/img]

Little Buddhas...

[img]uploads/images/tcsarah/Little_Buddhas.jpg[/img]

[img]uploads/images/tcsarah/FBF_womlook.jpg[/img]

Hanging out with friends...

[img]uploads/images/tcsarah/C98_2.jpg[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

What a rotten day you had....Just remember today is a new day so forget about yesterday. It's the weekend so relax and go do something for yourself. Dont worry about the lady in the hospital, I agree with everyone else, they wouldn't put her in the same room if she was contagious.

Thanks you guys!! I'm really glad that I can turn to you all and get support [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

TRACEY~~ Those pics are hilarious!! Thank you! I especially like the 3rd one down!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Hi Charlene:

I'm sorry you are going through a rough time right now. I hope everything is getting better. Keep us posted and I will talk to you soon.

Mel
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.