Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

No, it wasn't me who was sick/injured.

Some of you may have remembered my thread about my boyfriend Chris who got a tonsil/adenoidectomy last week. Well, everything was going well up until last night- he was in pain, but was starting to eat some solid food, and was able to talk again (booo, lol). He was also pleased about the fact that he had lost over 15 lbs.

Well, we were staying at my parents' house (6 hrs from home), and I ended up falling asleep on the couch while watching a movie. At around 2am I heard him in the bathroom next to the livingroom- I vaguely remembered him saying something, but I was half-asleep, so nothing really registered. Finally, he came up to me, showed me a paper towel covered in blood, and told me "either wake up you mom or call an ambulance, I need to go to the hospital now" (I don't drive).

One of the scabs on the back of his throat came off while he was sleeping, and apparently it caused an arterial bleed. Chris, ever the nurse, estimated that over 20 minutes, he spat out over 750ml of blood. The bathroom was evidence of this- it looked like someone was murdered in there. There was blood on the walls, down the toilet, on the tank- and the bowl looked like it was filled entirely of blood. My mom remarked that if Chris went missing and the police looked at this bathroom- one of us would be charged with murder.

Of course I ran upstairs, grabbed my mom, and got him to the ER asap. We were there for about two and a half hours (it wasnt a busy night and my parents live in a small city- and the fact that he was bleeding so much made him a priority case), while they took blood for tests and put him on an IV. It turns out some bleeding is normal when the scab comes off- but with some people, depending on where the scab is placed, it can cause a LOT of bleeding....apparently Chris is one of these. The doc said that as long as it tapers off on it's own, and there isn't a loss of consciousness, it will be fine and it's best to leave it alone. If it re-occurs, another surgery may have to be an option. He still has a scab on the other side of his throat, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will come off with out a massive bleed. The doc said that if the same thing happened, I will have to bring him to the ER again so they can put him on IV to replenish the fluids again.

It's amazing how something like this will completely put things in perspective and make you realize how pretty damned insignificant vomitting is in the scheme of things. I sat with him in the ER waiting room for about a half hour- it wasn't that busy, but there was a man with fresh track marks wandering around (unsteadily), who could have vomitted- so what. WhenChris got a bed, I sat with him in a room that had about a dozen beds separated by curtains, most of which were full of patients who may have something that could be related to vomitting- so what. A kid who was brought in by the cops unconscious HAD vomitted at some point (dirty towels and a blanket on the floor next to his bed)- so what. None of that really even matters when your mind is focused on something that IS a serious problem- not something that isn't, but that your mind tries to trick you into believing is. Fact vs fiction.

The only thing that really grossed me out was when we got home, guess who had to clean the nasty bathroom at 5am? I knew it was blood (obviously), but the way it was splattered, it looked like it could have been vomit (or rather my mind was seeing it was vomit). It definitely made me gag a bit, but I did it. I tried to see it as practice for when I have kids, and inevitable will have to clean up vomit.

So....that's my tale of last night. We are back in Ottawa now after another lovely six hour drive with the two cats- a little empowered, a lot tired- and hoping not to have to see the wonders of the Ottawa ER tonight.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow.

I can't really think of much else to say except I hope your fiance feels good again soon and that it was great how well you handled everything.

good job, amber! im sorry you had to go through that ordeal (especially at 2 am. ugh.) but im so glad everyone is okay! congrats on handling the situation marvelously (sp?).

-hayley
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

Amber,

First just let me say that I am glad that Chris is alright. That had to have been very scary. And what a trooper to come home and clean up that mess. I am sure that was not easy. How is he doing now?

Your post helped me once again put things into perspective. I often think the same kinds of thoughts to myself and then a few days go by and my old way of thinking settles back in and takes over.

Sometimes when I am worried about my daughter having a tummy ache I think "God, there are kids out there with f***ing cancer- their parents would love for their child to only have a stomach virus- what the f*** is wrong with me?" But, my stupid mother f***ing mind takes over and I can't find the logic.

My grandpa was the most important person in my world when I was a kid. He loved me unconditionally, always had the time for me and gave me stability when my parents were too busy fighting with eachother to realize what they were doing to their kids. A couple years back he got pancreatic cancer. I cannot tell you the hate I have for myself because I would not spend time with him when he got sick. I only went to the hospital once. I panicked the whole time. I miss him so much and wish I would have spent those last few months with him. I wish I would have helped my grandma take care of him. But instead I ran away. Now all I can do is sit here and cry about it.

So your post made perfect sense to me and I thank you for posting it. It's always a good idea to at least try to keep things in perspective- even if I am failing miserably at it.

\"This too shall pass\"

Amber, You handled things beautifully! Good for you! I hope Chris is feeling better soon.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Well done for coping with things so well! I hope your boyfriend doesn't have any more compications and heals up quickly and nicely!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

compications=complications. It's this damned heat effecting me, lol.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hey Amber:

Sorry about Chris, hun. Glad he is going to be ok and is doing better. Talk to you soon.

Mel
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Oh my God that must have been SOOO scary! I hope he is okay from here onin. And, I think you should really be proud of yourself ! Hospital ERs are horrid places for emets. You're lucky to have each other Amber!!!And Shiva-please don't beat yourself up for not going to the hospital more.I am SO sure your grandpa knew you loved him. And for that same reason, I'm so sure he would'nt want you to spend one more second being sad and remembering that time in your lives. Just remember the times that were wonderful. I just found out about a week ago my mom has breast cancer. I don't know if she will need chemo. yet, but I'm already starting to worry if I'll be strong enough to handle it. I feel guilty about it.I should be 100 o/o concerned about her and instead I'm like 10 o/o worried about how I'LL be able to handle HER chemo. Am I terrible ? I don't know. I think I'm just human and humans have limitaions. I'll keep ya posted.
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Awww, i hope he feels beter soon and well done for handling it well, and for helping him[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img], take care.

Ruth x

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow, that's scary, but you handled it like a champ!! Good for you. I hope you bf is okay now, and that it doesn't happen again.

Oh my godAmber, how awful!! I felt quite faint reading through that, lol, even just talking about blood makes me get all dizzy! Sounds like you did very well, especially cleaning up the bathroom at 5am! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I hope Chris feels better soon!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Thanks guys- I appreciate all the support. So far so good- the other scab is still in there, but we figure the longer it is in, the more of a chance that it will come off clean.

Shiva- it is completely counterproductive to beat yourself up over something that has happened in the past. It is a static factor, which means that it won't change no matter how badly you feel about it. All you can do is make sure something similar doesn't happen if someone else close to you gets sick. You know what? You panicked the whole time you were there for the first visit, but I'm willing to bet that if you would have forced yourself to go again, and again after that, the panic would have lessened. Take what happened previously as a lesson that you can learn from- you know how you reacted in that situation, and that it wasn't the best choice and made you feel horrible- if something similar happens again (god forbid), you will have to take steps to make sure that the same outcome wont occur.

Swiftette- I wish the best for your mom. I hope that she makes it through and the cancer goes into remission quickly. I say don't feel bad about worrying about how it will affect you, as much as you don't want to. I think that what you THINK in these situations is not nearly as important as what you do.I am sure that when it counts, you will be able to give you mom the support she needs.

*amber*

Hey Girl:

How's Chris doing? I hope he's doing good. Hope to see you in chat sometime soon. Talk to you soon.

Mel [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.