Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm moving to college this fall, and actually really excited. It's going to be cool, I think, to have the kind of independence that goes along with that. I joined a few of the college's groups on myspace and facebook, and have met some other freshmen... but here's the thing. people are already planning parties. off campus with a lot of alcohol and/or pot, apparently... and, I honestly want to participate. I want to go to college, and be able to just have fun andnot worry about emet. It's weird, the legal issues surrounding these things don't scare me at all... the only thing that worries me is the fact that they may make me sick or someone around me v*! How do I deal with that? I really don't want to miss out on parties because of this (and I think a lot of the parties on campus will have these activities - the college is kind of known as a slacker college, with a lot of pot..)... I've had alcohol before, but never enough to get an affect.. I'm scared that I won't know my limit, and will get drunk without realizing I've drank that much. how did everyone else handle college? are the parties really that wild? I think it would be fun to go to a wild party, as long as no one v*! But the chances of that are probably pretty slim, right? v_v any advice or imput would be appreciated

I was scared to go away to college for this exact reason. Which I completely regret now. I have been to a couple frat parties, and I do remember someone always getting sick at them. But you gotta realize, that at least you can't catch it. I think if you want to experience this, then do it. If its to much to handle then stop going. No matter what, when a alot of drinking happens in a large group of people, someone might get sick, and if you prepare yourself for this, it might be eaiser to deal with. But don't let your fear get in the way, cause you'll probably regret it.

I made it through 5 years of college on a known party campus and to tell you the truth, I never really drank or ran into v* issues. I was in one of the most popular sororities, known for partying and having a good time and even lived in my sorority house for 2 years with 30 other ladies.

You absolutley should not limit yourself because of this. Social relationships are healthy. You will meet people and have fun.

As for the drinking, it is important that you know your limit. If you must drink, do it slowly and find that limit.

Enjoy your time in college. Study hard and have lots of fun....you can do it.

Time flies by so quickly!

*Amy*

I started college last year. I go to a major party school and I was worried about v* too, but I didn't have a problem. Although, to be fair, I'm not the partying type so I don't go to them hardly ever.

When it comes to going away to college without worrying about emet, I'll be brutally honest....it probably won't happen. That isn't to say that you'll never have any fun, it'll just be very difficult for you to NEVER worry about your emet. A transition like going away to college is stressful no matter what, and emets tend hold all their stress in their bellies, so there probably will be a few times when you find yourself uncomfortable or stressed out and it will probably kick your anxiety level up and you'll find the emet thoughts creeping in.

However, you'll adjust quickly. I think the best way to do it is just go with what you're comfortable with, and don't worry about what the 'right' way is to be a college student. The college experience is different for everyone, so don't feel compelled to do anything other than what you want to. If you want to go to parties, go. Some will be more disgusting than others, and if you find you're at a party where a lot of people are extremely drunk and v*ing then you could always leave. You won't have fun if you're grossed out so bad you have a panic attack, so shrug it off. Maybe the next party you go to will be more your style.

Thanks so much for the input!! I figure after the first month or so on campus, I'll be able to have made some friends and know who exactly throws parties with a lot of alcohol and who doesn't. Then I can go to the parties I will feel the most comfortable at. Is the only way to learn your alcohol limit just by trying alcohol? will I feel the effect immediately, so I know when to stop? I just don't want to be fine at the party, and then hungover the next day because it all caught up to me v_v I know some friends who are already at college and partying, and say that it's not hard for them to make it to the restroom if they have to v*. If people went to the bathroom and did it, then I don't think I'd have a major problem.. it's just if they didn't, then I would probably panic v_v I guess there's always the option too of going to parties and leaving when they start to get out of hand with drinking... I think I'm more worried about what would happen if someone got a sv at campus.. since parties can be left.. but you can't just leave your dorm if someone has a sv that lasts for days v_v I guess, things will be better once I've moved and don't have to just wonder!

its unlikely if you have only a few drinks you will wake up with a hangover. just pace yourself. have a drink every hour or so and see how you feel when you've had maybe 3 or 4 and leave it that for the night. then the next time you can maybe have a few more. but just take it easy and good luck!

also ive seen ALOT of people vomit from drinking and ive dealt with it very well surprisingly. ive sat with my best friend and held her hair back while she vomited into the toilet and i was fine with it cos i knew i couldnt catch it. just remind yourself of that!
    Angles

You were asking about feeling the effects of alcohol and how you know your limits...well both of those depend on a lot of things.

Alcohol tolerance depends on: - Gender first of all, women have lower alcohol tolerance than men
    - Weight, as with medications the amount of alcohol necessary for noticable effect increases as the weight of the person increases
    - Drinking experience. If you've never drank before, be careful. In my opinion the attitudes toward drinking in the United States are screwed up, and the reason young people have problems with alcohol poisoning is because it's absolutley forbidden until the person is 21 then it's like 'go nuts!'. It would be like giving someone who has never been behind the wheel of a car before the keys on their 16th birthday and telling them they can drive anywhere they want. Better to ease into it.

As for whether you can feel the effects. That depends. Some alcohols have a distinct flavor and are extremely strong, so you'll know how much you've had. Others are less noticable (especially when mixed with sodas or juices). There are even kinds which have no taste or smell such as grain alcohol, and those tend to be VERY potent...they have a lot of alcohol in them.
    Another problem with college drinking is that college students tend to encourage the type of drinking where you consume a lot at one time. With games such as funneling, it's possible to have the amount equal to three drinks in less than 10 minutes. The problem with that is if you strech the drinks out over a longer period of time, you have time to feel the effects but if you consume a lot at once you have a lot of alcohol in your system, but it takes time for it to take effect. In that way it's possible to drink more than your limit, but not realize it until it's too late.

Some helpful facts:

- It takes an hour for your liver to process serving of alcohol.

- The serving size depends on the proof of the drink. Most hard liquors are 90 proof. For 90 proof alcohols a serving size is 1 oz (roughtly the size of shot glass). For wines the serving size is about 8 oz and for beers it's 12 oz, I believe.

- Most hangover symptoms are actually symptoms dehydration caused by the alcohol. If you're afraid you might have a hangover the next day, drinking some water before you go to bed can help.

Above all just be safe, and use caution. Remember that alcohol impairs your judgement, so make sure there isn't possible danger BEFORE you start drinking.

I'm going into my second year of college, and I find that your reputation sometimes comes from how much you drink. What I do is always drink coke and rum, I have found that as my comfort drink because I am not that big of a drinker. Most people judge you on how many shots or beers you have had. I just drink coke and rum and you can judge how much rum to put in the glass. You just put a couple centimeters (you choose how much) of rum in the glass and fill it up the rest of the way with coke. So If you tell someone you have had three glasses of coke and rum they don't really know how much you have had. And you also feel like you have been drinking for a while, but the effects are not so strong so quickly. Just start out that way.

Good luck!

Claire
    The sun never sets on a badass...

By the way, where are you going to college? Just wondering, I'm from the US too.

Oh, and if you are worried about pot, I actually recommend it. It more just relaxes you. It doesn't have the same affect as being drunk. It is more mind clearing, and does not have an affect on my stomach at all usually. It may be all in your nerves though.

I do want to warn you about one thing though.. DO NOT drink and smoke pot at the same time until you are experienced with both! If you are smoking and someone offers you a drink, just tell them you don't mix them, trust me they will understand! It is a VERY bad combination for most people!

Best of luck, and don't worry!

Claire

thanks so much!! those facts were really interesting - I will remember them! I know I definitely won't try any drinking games, unless I've drank before and know I can tolerate the amount. I'm someone who gets reactions very easily to medicine, which worries me... I'm short and thin and most medicines give me an affect, even if I take under the reccomended dosage (like, a medicine that "may cause drowsiness" definitely will for me!). My friend is actually the same way though, and she has more experience with drinking than me.. we both get the same kinds of reactions from medication, but she says when she drinks she never feels sick - just gets a little bit of a headache at most. but she doesn't drink heavy, just enough to enjoy it. yeah, the attitude towards drinking is very messed up here in the US. I talk with my friends from high school, and people are so excited to finally move out of the house and do whatever they want (like drinking!) without getting into trouble at home. If it were more accepted at a younger age, it seems like there wouldn't be this need to go crazy with alcohol at college.. the coke and rum idea sounds very good. coke is a sort-of comfort drink to me (I have it often, and I know it helps me to relax for whatever reason), so mixing some alcohol into it probably would be an easy way to get the affects, just not too strong. That's nice to hear about pot - I keep hearing how good it makes people feel, but I am scared to try because I don't want to get lung cancer (and I have a small allergy to regular cigarette smoke, so I think I'd have a hard time with pot smoke too if they are at all similar). I doubt just occassionally trying pot could cause cancer though... that only comes from long-term use, right? The college I'll be going to is The Evergreen State College in WA... it's a really non-traditional school, and although a lot of people are serious about the things they study over there, it does have a pretty famous reputation in the area for being a "hippy school", whenever I tell people I'm going there they make comments about all the pot usethat happens over there! And the college is located in the state capital city too lol. What about you, Claire?

thanks again!!

I am going to Averett University in Danville, Virginia, it is a very small school, but I often visit largers schools in the area. The people I hang out with smoke a lot (a looot) of pot and I have pretty much come to the fact that most people are going to do it sometime in their life, and that you only hear about the cases when people do get diseases and stuff and not the cases when they don't. Don't sweat it too much, do it when you feel ready, a little tip though, if they are passing it around or something and you feel like you dont want to do it, but you don't want them to do it, just hold the smoke in your mouth and let it go a little at a time. It also has a really distinct smell. You can PM me if you want!

Claire

In the UK drinking is legal from 18 but it still doesn't stop students going crazy with booze - they do it over here too.

Don't feel pressured into partying if it makes you feel uncomfortable. There will be other activities you can get involved in at Uni which don't involve drinking and pot. Remember that there will be some students who don't drink for religious reasons and they can still have a good time. Think about joining an amateur dramatics or sports club or a music group if you're musical. Its a good way to make friends without having to go partying. It was pointless me going to parties anyway because I don't drink at all - even sips of alcohol make me feel s*.

I had a good time at Uni, got involved in lots of things, and sang in the University choir. I deliberately missed out on all the partying because I was so scared of people v*. And I never had that experience! I met other people who weren't into drinking and parties as well.

There were only 2 experiences with people v* that I had at uni and neither of them were at parties. I remember the first day of University, I was sitting in the cafeteria waiting for a friend of mine so we could go up and enrol together. There had been a big freshers' party the night before (which I didn't go to)

I went into the toilets and this girl came in (probably hung over from the party thenight before)and started v* (I didn't see it but heard it) - I ran out of there at about 100mph!!!

I have to say that was the ONLY time during my 3 years at Uni i had any experience with anyone v*. there was one time in a lecture when the girl in front of me jumped up and ran out of the lecture hall, I guess it was ahangover in her case too. Students do tend to drink a lot but at least if its hangovers you don't have to worry about catching stomach viruses from them.Edited by: ladymoonlight

thank you for the advice It's nice to know that you were able to find some things to do that didn't involve partying. It seems like going to parties would be fun, if things didn't get as wild as they tend to get! It's a very good idea to get involved in other things, I definitely want to look into the clubs my college will have and join some that seem interesting ^^ I'm glad that very little non-alcohol related v* happens at school (or at least didn't happen at your university). when someone is hungover, the idea is a little easier to tolerate - even though it still isn't good! thanks for your input

Oh yes, there's definitely plenty to do in college that doesn't involve drinking. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, it's just that drinking was what you asked about so that's what I gave info about.

The college experience is absolutely not about just partying and drinking. Hollywood has played that up horribly.

Once you're there you'll find that there's so many different things to do. You may find it hard to resist the urge to take on too much actually.

I agree with them, I am sorry if I gave you the impression that that is all you do. I was just giving you the info that you asked for, many people at my school don't drink or smoke and they are just as popular and go to just as many parties. Please just have confidence in whatever situation you are in and you will be fine!

Claire

I'll have 2..3 drinks MAX...I usuallyhave girly drinks... I've had my fun days of parties & clubbing..(clubs: an emets fave spot..LOL)...anyways..as u attend more parties..you'll know your limit..you'll find your favorite kinda a drink & stick with that..don't try all different kinds of drinks in 1 night..I'm sure you're smart to know that one...Stay away from doing too many shots..They can be dangerous..especially if they taste good...SHOTS hit you like a ton of bricks...Remember you don't have to drink to have fun!!!

I always looked out for my friends..to see if they weren't going overboard with the drinks...I'd tell them to slow down..My close friends understood my phobia..so they knew not to get sick in front of me..I didhave my share of seeing strangers V* [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img](thank God it was only once in a great while: those caught me off guard..because I would just get to a party or club)..

EMETS know when people are gonna V*..observe your surroundings..& you'll be FINE!!...Have FUN @ COLLEGE!!!!