Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mine have chagned a little now, my safe foods are now cereal, toast, biscuits, rice, pb&j sandwhichs, pasta, and chicken. Anyone else have any safe foods they eat when there ill or only eat the same things when something about emet comes up??

Ruth x
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my safe foods are breads and pastas.. but with no sauces or butters. and I have no idea why exactly.

graham crackers
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

toast .. crisps sandwichs..... potatoes... clear soups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dry toast, cereal, and if my children have an sv*, nothing at all!

Applesauce....
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Also dry English Muffins
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

my safe foods are, pasta or just salads and chips...

Although when I am eating out, only chips... I HATE eating out...

I just ate some chicken from a barbeque and I'm scared now... even though it was cooked through and white, not pink... grrr... I'm annoyed with myself for eating it... !!!

xxx

fresh fruits and veggies, potatos, breads, pb & j, tea, peanut butter and crackers, water (bottled) and moose tracks.

im a salad girl!! i love my veggies!!
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;

i eat absolutely ANYTHING except certain seafoods (eg. clams)
    I eat pizza
    I eat steak
    I eat fries
    I eat chicken
    I eat cookies
    I eat salad

haha my emetophobia doesnt really affect my eating habits!
    ISAIAH 41:10

english muffins, toast, pasta, crackers, pretzels, dry cereal, protein
    bars, and chicken (but only if i cook it!)

Unfortunately no foods or drink feel safe for me.

Fruits and veggies used to be safe... now they're like the ONLY foods you hear about giving people food poisoning. Spinach a few months ago, wasn't it, and just recently, tomatoes (except now they're saying maybe it wasn't the tomatoes after all... :-|). NOTHING IS SACRED UNLESS IT'S MICROWAVED TO DEATH. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I microwave lunch meat, cooked chicken (and other meats), cheese, I'd freaking microwave lettuce if I thought I could get away with it.

Safe = crackers, toast, sometimes Wheat Thins.
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

Quote Originally Posted by cashcarstar
    Unfortunately no foods or drink feel safe for me.
    [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] Me too [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]
    Georgi

If you really want a safe food that is good for you,
    tinned tuna has NEVER caused my illness and I have tinned tuna in my sandwiches 3 times a week roughly!

It is with fresh seafood which you need to be careful!

ISAIAH 41:10

hmmm, i eat most tinned food and things like bacon as its dry cured and pretty safe. pasta, veg, chips, pizza

mostly junk!
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

When I'm feeling sick my safe foods are dry foods, like crackers, plain toast, boiled potatoes, plain rice, and plain pasta with some olive oil.

But for the most part I try to eat a bit of everything (except meat because I'm a vegetarian) because I feel like it's more important to get proper nutrition. It's taken me months to "train" my brain into not being so afraid to eat things that aren't crackers, LoL.

Though not a big fan of microwaves. I never liked the idea of having radiation shot through my food.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

canned foods scare me only because of the risk of botulism. the cans
    have to be in PERFECT condition for me to even consider eating from
    one (no dents, rust, or bulges). i prefer fresh food anyway.

Hmm, my eating habits aren't really affected, but I do obsess over cooking sutff through, hate eating chicken unless it's roasted, etc.

Also, my family loves mussels and seafood, so I try to hold back, which results in me eating something and worrying about it.

I think its mostly your raw or undercooked shellfish that cause illness, really most non emets don't want to get s* but most people I've ever sold raw oysters to were people that were going to have a big campfire and lots of alcohol to go around, so not a huge worry to them if they do. With clams, mussels, and oysters its important that the critters are still alive when you buy them fresh(or cooked or frozen in other cases) I would reject any that was supposedly fresh but the shell was open before cooking it. Also with hard clams and oysters gently knocking the shells together to check for a hollow sound is a good way to check if they are ok. You get used to knowing what a good one and a bad one look like. As far as my "safe foods" I like crackers, thats just about it when I'm really worried if I can even handle that. When this fear is not front and center, anything well cooked except for beef and pork which I avoid just cause I don't like eating these animals is pretty comfortable. I'm always much more worried about who prepared my food and if they were careful and healthy themselves than the food itself, cause really our food supply is pretty safe, people get sick from doing dumb stuff like coming into work still on the mend and being lazy about cross contamination or handwashing. USUALLY people in the food business follow the if in doubt throw it out rule but I have heard notable and scary exceptions.

Just to clarify, the shellfish should NOT have a hollow sound if you knock them together(hard clams and oysters) Mussels are a bit trickier they open and close a lot. We tried selling them but just threw so many away it wasn't funny, too hot for them in FL or either just stressed out from the long trip.

Cereal
    Pop-tarts
    Toast
    Peanut butter & fluff sandwich
    Cream of Wheat or oatmeal

I feel like my food choices get more limited every day. People are going to think I have an eating disorder.

i pretty much got past this kind of feelings, but i have since the height of the problem, avoided foods that are too exotic, too mixed in flavor, or too saucy and fatty. and anything that has potential for fp such as kebabs from outside.

i only trust saucy foods if i have been eating from the same restaurant for along time, same for fatty foods. e.g. mc donalds, and my local chinese take away.

I'd say saucy foods could be an emet's best friend in a lot of ways. It's pretty hard to grow pathogenic bacteria in something like lasagna or spaghetti if something close to good hygiene is followed. On the other hand if you have a lot of gas or IBS symptoms like a lot of us do, those tomato based foods can tie you in knots, but I have never v* from that kind of situation and I really don't expect too, but it gets your focus back on your stomach which may not be good.

Default Re: Safe foods, what are yours??

OMG!! I feel like I just found home! My safe foods are dry toast, pop tarts and non salted saltine crackers and sometimes bananas. I try to avoid most foods. When I do eat a normal meal it leads to a panic attack and then I won't eat or drink anything for days until I feel like I'm in the clear and then I'll sip some gatorade or ginger ale and eventually nibble a cracker and then ween my way back into eating bigger things. I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian but now days fruits and veggies are making people sick too. It feels like nothing is safe! To make it worse currently theres this Norovirus from Australia going around in the U.S I haven't left the house in about a week. I bleached everything in the house just in case. I'm a wreck though

Pretty much everything freaks me out. When I'm really anxious, I don't eat anything. A few months ago, when my emetophobia was still in its six year long remission, I would eat out without a second thought. Now I'm 13lbs lighter and afraid of all foods. It's not even always necessarily the thought that someone ill may have handled it or anything, or that it isn't cooked thoroughly, it's more of a fear that I have the virus on my hands (despite my washing) and I'll infect myself. Totally ridiculous, but I'm working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by yourjedi View Post
    Pretty much everything freaks me out. When I'm really anxious, I don't eat anything. A few months ago, when my emetophobia was still in its six year long remission, I would eat out without a second thought. Now I'm 13lbs lighter and afraid of all foods. It's not even always necessarily the thought that someone ill may have handled it or anything, or that it isn't cooked thoroughly, it's more of a fear that I have the virus on my hands (despite my washing) and I'll infect myself. Totally ridiculous, but I'm working on it!

I can relate! I've lost 26 lbs so far and even some people at school think I've gotten an eating disorder but its kind of the opposite in a weird way. I also always think I have virus on my hands no matter how much I wash them and I have a list of ridiculous superstitions. I'm not sure if I have OCD or not. My mom things I do. My therapist diagnosed me with Aspergers and said its possible I could have OCD but its only surrounded around the emetophobia nothing else. Who knows

I won't eat foods that have mayo unless it was made at home. Otherwise, I have no idea how long it sat out and mayo can go really bad, really quick. So I'd say just about anything OTHER than foods with mayo!

For a good 6-7 years my emet went into remission (hiding?) and I actually gained 60+ pounds. It's only been recently that anxiety has resurfaced and just NOW since my husband got a sv yesterday, I am restricting like crazy. I can stand to lose a lot of weight, but I don't want to make myself sick from NOT eating, you know? Nothing was off limits for me and I basically ate any and all foods. And I ate past capacity and felt full. Hard to believe that my emet for most of my childhood and some adult life ruled my world. I'm afraid I'm back in the full force phase again. I am sticking with crackers, pretzels and plain cheese sandwiches. I've been reading this thread and realized how much processed white carbs we eat