Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: sick at camp

I was so excited to go to camp and I had been all year! The first two days were really fun but then I started feeling queasy and sick all the time. Then halfway threwcamp I v*ted. Even though I had just gone through my biggest fear I amazeingly didn't have a panic attack. I just told a councler and they took me to the nurse who told me to try and eat something and see how I feel. Yeah like I was gonna do that. So I had to go through everything that day and for the rest of the week and then when I got home I was finally feeling a bit better and then I get food poisening! Fortunatly I haven't v*ted because of that but my dad did and it still really scares me but if this experience had happened to me before i started taking zoloft, i don't think i would still be alive right now. I honestly would have had a panic attack and stopped breathing and since nobody was around I really think I would have died... I still get scared and cry but the feeling isn't as strong. I strongly recomend talking to your doctor about your fears. Panic attacks arent' fun and my medication stopped me from having one. Right now I have been and emetophobic for 5 years and I have gotten sick since it started but the thing that helped me the most is this. Try actually thinking, what about it scares you? At first I couldn't figure it out but I thought more and now I relize i just don't want to throw up somewhere where I shouldn't (not in a bathroom exetra) or without my mom. That's why when I don't feel well I tell my mom and don't go out. My personal beleif is that everyfear is for a reason. Mine i s because I got the stomach flu really bad when i was in 2nd grade you just got to remember how much better you really feel after your done and although this doesn't always help me and may not help you. I really do say that it is possible to get over you rfear and next time you feel panicky because of it just relax and tell yourself your going to be okay even if you do throw up your going to be okay your really are going to be okay.

I used to not be able to go on sleepovers, rollercoasters, camp, airplanes, even school on some days. My doctor helped me so much. do yourselves a favor talk to yours

when you were sick... was it as bad as you thought it would be? xx

Welldone for getting through it though with no panic... big achievement!

x Amy x

when i got sick it wasn't as bad as i thought i felt a little better to

That happened to me the last time I was sick (6, nearly 7 years ago, touchwood never again) I was dreading it a LOT and when I was sick... I felt so good! It wasn't nearly half as bad as I thought it would be! But now I'm absolutely teriffied of it again!xxx

I'm glad you were able to get through it without having major panic. I too find what helps the most is when I feel real sick like the "this is it" kind of sick I try and self talk like "its ok I'm not gonna die, people do this all the time, its gross but its over with fast" things like that, and I think it does help. Then again I've only ever v*ed at home, and usually when I feel seriously ill is night time at home. Its much easier to deal with at home I think than say if you are out.

well done!

Sounds like you coped really well.

I got a sv a few years ago...and my emet only entered my mind at the start cos I Was asleep when it started so I didn't have the hours of not knowing if I was 'really' ill.

I just kinda got on with it and was absolutely fine after. Im not sure when I got scared again but Im terrified all over again.

xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

Well done girl! I don't know what age you are, but you must be young and you were so brave, it is so hard living with a phobia when you are at school and growing up (- like you haven't got enough to worry about in your teens?!)

I have been emet since I was 10, I am now 22. I'm a lot better these days, I can go places and do things, I have been to Uni and have a good job now - I'm sure you can do anything you want in the future too.

You were so brave to v*, it is scary and sooo disgusting, but it is over fast and I would say to anyone just to flush it away as soon as possible (dont sit and look at it eeew!) and then voila . . . it's gone! The last time I v* was two years ago on a train (it wasn't cos the train, it was to do with something I'd eaten I think) That was pretty gross, but there I was afterwards, sitting in the tiny train loo shouting "I did it! I did it!" out loud. To myself. I have to laugh at that now!

Take care, and keep up the good work!

xx[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

i'm 13 and i've had emet since i was 8 I think but I feel so lucky because I know I don't have it as bad, I'm not that scared of gagging unless I don't feel well, I go on rides, (just not spinny ones) I used to not watch movies because I was scared someone wouldv* in them but now I LOVE movies if you have movie fears like that just remember they aren't really v*ing. also for about 2 years I never went on sleepovers but now I ALWAYS want to have sleepovers. I've started going to camp which is a really big thing for me (just started last year) it's hard though people sometimes pretend to throw up just because they no it will make me scared and it hurts...

well done !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can be so nasty and stupid scared007, but it's hard when what they are saying is so upsetting. I think that it's great you have started going to camp - I hope you go back in the future and don't let the v* incident put you off.

I was a bit nervous about going on the train after that time, but I've done it loads since - after all, it wasn't the train's fault! lol

You are doing so well, and I'm sure you will be able to do whatever you want as you get older -like, that's great you can watch movies and have sleepovers, it's all fun stuff to do but I'm sure others on the site know how hard even the simple things are when you worry about emet.

Well done also for going to the Drs about the panic attacks, they can be very frightening and a lot of people suffer from them. I have had a lot of worries and stuff, but now I work for a mental health charity - it is great to be able to support others, and a lot of the adults that I work with have panic attacks, men and women. If it happens when I am there, I sit beside them, still giving them space, and just stay there with them until it goes away. I know it is hard to believe when you arein the middle of one, but they always stop and the people are okay - I promise xx

Just a word of advice...don't induce or even accept v* when you have food poisoning. You can get dehydrated, and it does little to help the illness.

Incidentally, you won't actually die from a panic attack. You'll probably faint before you get to that point. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

i haven't hada panic attack since about... 4th grade? and that wasn't even a very bad one i just got shaky breathing
    If you love furuba talk to me!

Wow, my WORST NIGHTMARE when I was a camp counselor was that one of my charges would v*. But good for you, getting through it.

My doctor doesn't understand at all. My father told him about my emet, last visit (I was really mad about that, too) and he just looked at me and was like, 'whaa...?' I'm glad yours has been able to help you!