Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Do we do this?

In almost each post I read, it seems like many of us have IBS...I am fairly sure I do not have that, but I do have other stomach issues.

I feel nauseous DAILY! I hate it! It come and goes and I have seen an GI doctor. Unfortunately, when he tried to do a scope, I became "belligerent and combative" while under. How embarassing. That was a major setback for me.

But I was wondering, it seems like so many of us have stomach issues. Do you think it is possible that since becoming ill is our worst fear, that we sort of make ourselves feel sick? A sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. People have suggested this to me so many times before but I have such a hard time making that connection. The stomach pain is real, I swear.

What do you think?
    *Amy*

Oh I know </span>we do that! The more emet is bothering the more often we feel sick.

We make ourselves feel sick most of the times. I'm not saying the pain is imagined, I know first hand that it's definitely real...but most of the time it's from the stress and anxiety. Stress causes real physical pain.

ABSOLUTELY
    \"This too shall pass\"

You became combative during a gi scope? Were you under "twilight" or were you completly out? They gave me twilight when i had a heart catheter done and i was awake during that as I am now....No twilight for me ever again!

Momof2......i did the same thing when i was supposed to get the scope done too....i have no memory of fighting the doc, but that's what he told me....so i had to go back and do a different procedure that was way worse and nasty than the scope...so anyway, to answer your question...yes, in a way i think we do bring alot of stomach issues on ourselves while having emet....but at the same time, how do we explain feeling perfectly fine, no stress, no worries, then BOOM stomach problems hit out of nowhere...that is what happens to me ALOT....so i don't know...i think most of it is in our minds alot, and then other times it is real....i dont' really know for sure though. I know i have acid reflux, ibs, and emet, so there you go.....that explains alot of it.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Kate-

I feel exactly the same...I feel like my stomach hurts more days than not. It is so frustrating. And I swear that when I am not anxious, it hurts the worst.

My doctor wants me to have an upper GI and Esophogram and all that other gross stuff...so I am kind of at a standstill. I am not drinking that stuff.

Is that what you had to do? It just makes me nervous bc I really think there is something wrong with my stomach and I really felt proud for going to have the scope. It was supposed to be one of my biggest accomplishments...so much for that.
    *Amy*

there is a connection - anxiety affects your body more than you think. People with anxiety disorders are more likely to have GI issues because its part of the flight/fight responce. These stomach symptoms are very real to someone with IBS. IBS is classified as a functional disorder, and although it can happen for many reasons, stress and anxiety are two huge factors.

In a fearful situation, your body focuses on the most important task - surviving. So when we have these alarm bells going off in our brains, the body over rides all other functions - affetcts the GI system, to provide more energy for the getaway - this can create unpleasant symptoms in a lot of people - nausea, the Big D, and so on and so forth.

because people with anxiety issues are frequently experiencing these alarm bells ( even if they aren't real) the body responds to them as if they were. The mind affects the body in many ways - this is just one aspect.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

i feel the same way. I feel as if i feel n* and my stomach is all messed up alot, And i never know if im sick or not..thats what scares me. I think we can make our self sick just because thats our fear.
    feel better!

natalie-
    Let there be Light at the end of the tunnel

oh i totally agree.. we spend so much time trying not to be sick that it gives and anxiety and stress to the point of tummy troubles! its so annoying!

I know that was embarassing for you about your upper GI scope.. but it made me giggle a lil bit! when i had that done.. i was told how i was asking every nurse if they had seen my lips?! LOL.. anyways...

just wanted to share!

[img]smileys/smilies_31.gif[/img]
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Momof2....

Oh yeah, i had to drink this nasty white chalky pasty, yucky crud and then lay completely flat down, without it all coming right back up....luckily i made it ok, but i did gag several times, because it was so thick, and disgusting......i won't lie, it was awful, but in the end it only proved i had acid reflux.....i have no idea why my gut is like it is.....i guess it's all anxiety and stress.....and really they say that stress can be inside you and you may not even know it....so it's no wonder i'm sick all the time......my main problem is this.....every month around my period, it can be either before during or after or all of the above...i get "it"....i dont' know what the hell it is, but it's like a sv...i feel weak, flu like, sick on my stomach, can't eat, and just so weak i could drop and sleep for 48 hours straight...my gyno doesn't know what it is either, just hormones probably she says, i've been tested for everything under the sun....nothing shows up out of whack. I am destined to be this way the rest of my life i guess...i have come to except this as my way of life....but it does not get any easier as time goes by. I hate it, and i cry alot, b/c i know noone understands but the people that go through the same thing. My husband is more understanding about it now, but he used to not get me at all.......

And listen, if i can do that nasty test, you can too It won't be fun, but to find out there is nothing seriously wrong with me, was great....i mean, sure , i would have loved for something to show up, so at least i would have known there was a "real" reason for my symptoms.........but glad to know nothing major is wrong.....

Stay strong, and keep me posted ok...Kate

Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"