Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: sleeping

For me, with my emet, sleep seems to be my biggest "issue." I manage pretty well during the day and only have minor problems during daylight hours. My biggest fear is that I will wake up v*ing or that one of my kids will and I'll wake up to that. Anybody else do pretty well during the day but totally fall apart at night? Afraid to fall asleep? What do you do to combat it? I sleep with the TV going all night, stay up until I can't keep my eyes open anymore, etc. I could never go on a group overnight trip where I'd have to share a hotel room with anyone other than my dh and kids. They're used to me leaving the TV and bathroom lights on.

Last week, we had a few storms that blew through our area and our power was out for 36 hours--two bedtimes. I was having major problems because I couldn't have anything on. One nightI fell asleep sitting up with my daughter's earphones and radio on. The next I fell asleep watching a dvd onmy laptop (I charged it up at my brother's who had power).I knew the power had come on because theYahoo IM window popped up on my computer and woke me up lol.

Oh, and when you do finally fall asleep, do you sometimes jump/twitch awake because you swear you've heard something when you really didn't ?

I'm jealous of people who can just forget the worries of the day, turn off the lights, plop their head on the pillowand go to sleep in a pitch-black silent bedroom.Edited by: mommyof3
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Hey there..

Night is hard for me too because there have been a few incidences in my life when i woke up to SOMEONE else v*** in their sleep and I had to be the one to wake them up so the did not choke and die on it! and yes at this time i was emet too sooo needless to say it hasstuck with me even to this day! I find that I wake up sometimes.. in deep sleep to acid in my throat and it gives me panic attacks.. and then if i hear any little noise.. like coughing or anything like that.. while my husband and I are sleeping i wake up just like that! and especailly if i know he went to bed not feeling well .. its like a time bomb.. im just waiting.. never actually sleeping.. welllll not deeply anyways..

so yes i feel your pain.. your definately not alone.. unfortunetly i have to take sleeping pills sometimes to get through it. But if i feel n* at all .. i will NOT sleep until it subsides or goes away.. i just cant .. there is no way!

anyways hun.. take care.. try to get some sleep!

Kristin

You sound exactly like me. Most nights I sleep on the couch with the tv on, and can't fall asleep until the wee hours. Most of the time I take a phenergan before bed, too. I'm alays wondering if one of my kids will wake up sick, or me. It's awful.

Heya,

Whenever I've been ill its been in the night so I'm awful with night times.

I fear going to sleep...and then I fear waking up ill in the night and not making it to the bathroom.

I have to have my blind open to let in the light off the streets (I used to have the bathroom light on til my mum said no) and I have my bin empty by my side, and water, my phone and my hair tied up.

I don't think it helps that cos Im resting I have time to think. But I'm deff worse at night and dread it. And when I wake up randomly...I'm always sure it's cos I'm ill.

xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

night times r alot worse for me too i also have to take slepping tablets sometimes to get a nights sleep and if my kids cough or anythinh in ther sleep i get jumpy i also have to have my bin next to the bed and my hair tied back i also think that it is cause you r not doing anything at night you thuink about it more

lyndsayanne

Hi, yep I also find night time the most difficult. I remember waking up in the night when I was really young and my brother was v*ing on my bed! When I get a bad IBS attack or when I have had an sv* the symptoms are worse at night. For me its the fear of going to sleep and waking up and not having time to get to the bathroom. Even now I spend many nights on the couch in the living room watchingTV until its time to get up for work! M x

Quote Originally Posted by ham_crisp
    Heya,Whenever I've been ill its been in the night so
    I'm awful with night times. I fear going to sleep...and then I fear waking
    up ill in the night and not making it to the bathroom. I have to have my
    blind open to let in the light off the streets (I used to have the bathroom
    light on til my mum said no) and I have my bin empty by my side, and
    water, my phone and my hair tied up. I don't think it helps that cos Im
    resting I have time to think. But I'm deff worse at night and dread it. And
    when I wake up randomly...I'm always sure it's cos I'm ill. xxx.
    I always sleep with my phone with me, even though my parents
    are in the same house to me it seems like a comfort object, as thought it
    resembles help and safety. The idea of v* alone for me is the worst thing
    imaginable. I also keep a bucket in my room and sometimes the door
    open with a clear path too the bathroom. I used to keep the toilet seat up
    just incase! And tissues near me aswell...i'm starting to sound mad...

I hate the night...it's the one time I should be able to relax and switch off, but I can't. Every noise....it could be one of the kids waking, feeling ill. I sleep with a bowl by the bed too...just incase.

My stomach has to feel right too, otherwise I fear waking and feeling ill. The only time I can relax, even moderately, is when my kids stay at their dad's and my stomach feels OK. What a life!

night is very hard for me too. during the day it seems to be ok. but later into the night is when i start.
    lately i have been waking up with shivers. and i cant stop shaking and i feel N* im so scared im going to actaully V* i have come close to it but i have been trying to hold back....i used to have a issue where i took laxatives and eventually my body rejected it and i V* it scared me so much. so since theni havent touched laxatives...
    Let there be Light at the end of the tunnel

I'm finding night time difficult right now... ugh being an emet SUCKS. x

I am right there with all of you. I have always said that it seems like
    I can handle almost anything during the daytime, but at night, no one
    is around to help me if I or my kids get s*. I know that realistically,
    my husband is right here. But poor guy, he must be so tired of me
    asking almost every night," If the kids are s*, will you take care of
    it?" He always says he will, but don't you know that he sleeps
    through everything...even "that". I am ALWAYS the first one to hear
    anything.

I can't tell you how many nights I have slept on the couch with the tv
    on after taking a Tylenol PM, an Ativan, and my new favorite...a few
    drops of Rescue Remedy. I HATE NIGHT TIME!!!!!!!!

Julie

Wow, I hate it for all of you that you have such troubles, too, but am also comforted to know we're all in this together. It's bedtime now and I'm winding up again. I'm so tired, too It's almost midnight and my oldest can't sleep. We went to an amusement park today and despite putting sunblock on his face twice, he still got sunburnt. An awful memory from childhood for me was when a friend who was sleeping over woke up in the night and v* all over the bed we were sharing. It turned out she had had too much sun that day, had been all sunburnt, etc. so sunburns always freak me out, too. Sheesh!
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

omg Paula that would seriously traumatize me!!! thats awful! i can see why sun burns would freak you out!

Take care hun!

yeah night time tends to be my worst as well. I think its because your mind doesn't have anything really occupying it, so thoughts come in a lot easier, plus just the fact that its nite and everyone else is asleep can make me feel kind of alone.

I think my worst fear is waking up to feeling horribly nauseas and feeling like on the verge of v*ing. This has happened only a few times, but man it really scares the crap out of me, because its like there is no time to prepare or gradually ease into it, its just like going from zero to 90 in a second. One minute fine sleeping and the next you feel like if you move you'll be sick. Man that is horrible. Everything just seems stranger at night too.