Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

As I'm expecting my first baby on December 8th I keep reading through birth stories, but they all seem to contain v* and its scaring me silly. We've had this discussion here before about v* in labour, but anyone who cares to share their v*-freebirth story with me would be really appreciated! I need to know it can be done without n* or v*. Edited by: ladymoonlight

I made it through 2 without feeling the slightest bit nauseous or vomiting. I was totally fine and had a great experience with both. I actually thought it was the easiest part of the past 9 months! Honestly.

I think with my son, the nurses gave me something before my epidural to help with the pain...she told me it would make me feel like a drunken sailor! And it did! I believe it had anti-emetic properties.

*Amy*

Hello -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Well, I had 3 babies, with no meds at all, and my longest labor was 7 hours, shortest one was 3 and a half hours. I had pain, but no n* or v*. I didn't even feel the slightest bit sick at all.

Labor is alot of work, just keep focusing on your baby that you'll be meeting soon, and that's what gets you through :-). I wissh you the best of luck for a fast and safe delivery!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I never got sick with either one of mine. I didnt even feel sick. Most people dont v*. I only know 2 people that it has happened to. One because she was freaking out, totally out of control and the other, my sister, because of some medicine they gave her.

During my first pregnancy I scared myself s***less reading birth stories online, b/c so many of them contained v*. I have had two kids, one birth medicated, and one not, and no v* with either one. It definitely can be done![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Charlene, you must have super human powers. I don't know what it feels like to go through labour, but I know it's super painful. You didn't have any meds at all? WOW! I'm a total wuss when it comes to pain. That will be the worst for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did not even come close to even remotely feeling nausiated or anything during the delivery of my daughter. No V* at all. Not even close. I would definitely say that v* during labor is more rare than common.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Charlene, you must have super human powers. I don't know what it feels like to go through labour, but I know it's super painful. You didn't have any meds at all? WOW! I'm a total wuss when it comes to pain. That will be the worst for me.

LOL !!!

Yeh, I was much younger, aand my tolerance for pain was very high. I was just so excited to have my babies that that's what I focused on[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]. I won't lie thpugh, it hurt like hell!!!!! But, soooooooo worth it when you meet your baby face to face.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

ive had 2 babies .. no n* or v*[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, you asked, so here goes, three of them!

Baby #1. I was 36 1/2 weeks and woke up with a nagging ache in my back. My husband insisted he take me in to the hospital. I got there and was diagnosed with a bladder/kidney infection. So they started me on IV antibiotics since I was so close to my due date to get rid of it right away. And of course I was hooked to a monitor and I was told I needed to stay a couple of hours until theIV was finished.My husband helped me get comfortable, went to get some lunch for himself, and I started dozing off. Suddenly, my baby's heartbeat dropped to almost nothing and a nurse rushed in and helped me move in different positions to see if it helped. It didn't. My doctor came in with some more nurses and broke my water as a last ditch effort before a c-section. Right then my husband came in, saw the puddle,and about dropped his bag of take-out. Well, the water breaking worked and my son's heart rate came back up. But, we'd passed the point of no return (water breaking) so I was having my baby! It took me a long time to progress (about 10 hours) and they almost went to pitocin. But all of a sudden I went from 4 to 10 cm dilated and boom! I had to start pushing! No epidural for me lol. Just a little stadol when I was in transition. I never had any n* or v* and my tiny 6 pound boy (after an hour and a half of pushing) was born. Since he was a little early he spent the first night in the nursery. He's now a 75pound 8-year-old!

Baby#2--easy, easy, easy birth. I was induced becauseshe wasso low and kept pushing onsome blood vessels "down there" and Iwould bleed on and off. Plusit was close to my due date, the middle of summer, and my dr. is a nice guy lol. I went in at 8 in the morning, had my water broken at around 10, and didn't really have any pain until the last few contractionswhen I asked for a half dose of stadol--mostly to calm me down. She was almost2 pounds heavier than my son, but he was the trailblazer (LOL) and I didn't need any stitches or anything. I never had any n* or v*. In fact,I complainedmost of the day that I was so hungry because sinceI knew I was being induced I didn't have anything to eat! I ate a whole bag of m & m's while they were cleaning her up lol.

Baby #3. I'll try to keep this short, and keep in mind that this was a freakish-never-happens kind of thing. I went to my dr. formy 38 week check upand he said all was fine, my son was head down, ready to be born and expected to see me before the week was over. Sure enough, around 10 am the next morning I started havingcontractions. I called my parents tobabysit my older two and told my husband to finish up hiswork and comehome to get me. Wegot to the hospital around noon and the nurse examined me and was shocked to see I was already completely dilated! Talk about an easy labor! I walked up to the OB floor on my ownand the nurse couldn't believeI was that far along. They got me set up to start pushing andmy doctor raced up. He got in the catcher's position (LOL) just as my water broke. Then things got crazy. He yelled at me to stop pushing because my stinker boy was trying to come outhand and foot first! So, timefor an emergency c-section. Well, as an emet, you can about imagine how muchI wasfreaking out. They prepped me (shaved me, gave me some wretched stuff to drink because I had eaten that day, etc.) and as the anesthesiologist was getting ready to administer theepidural, the placenta abrupted and they had to put me under general anesthesia to get the baby out quick. But you know what? I woke up in some pain and feelingdisoriented, but NO N* or V*. I mean, really, if someone's going to be s*during a delivery, it would have been me!LOL!! So don't worry about it!!!I even took the demerol they gave me and just made sure to have some phenergan too.

There you go. Hee hee hopeI didn't
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

My delivery is still fresh in my mind, and call me crazy, but I really wish I could go back and do it again! I started having contractions (very irregularly) at about 6pm on July 9th. They didn't really hurt at all, but I knew they were contractions. They continued through the night and into the next morning. I called the doctor to see if I should go in, but she said not to until the contractions were 5 minutes apart and lasted a minute. So, I went to work because they were about 30 minutes apart. While I was at work, they stopped! They started and stopped all day until about 9pm on the 10th. Then they started to get more intense, but still 30-45 minutes apart. I went on like that until about 3:00am, and I couldn't take the pain anymore. They were still 20 minutes apart, but I went to the hospital anyway because they hurt so bad. By the time I got there, they were 4-5 minutes apart and lasted 2 minutes. The nurse monitored me in triage for about an hour, then they moved me into my room. I decided to try and walk for an hour, but after about 30 minutes I couldn't take the pain so I asked for my epidural. This was about 5:45am. They gave me an IV to pump me full of fluids first, and by the time they started the epidural it was 6:45. During that time I thought I felt a little n* and started to panic a little, until I realized that it was hunger pains I was feeling (but of course I couldn't eat). As soon as the epidural was in I felt wonderful! I pretty much just laid there for a couple of hours. They had to give me pitocin because the epidural made my contractions slow down. I pushed for about 30 minutes and around 10am my daughter was born. So, with an epidural and pitocin I had no v*. I asked for something "just in case" but there was a shift change and the nurse I asked didn't relay the info to the new nurse, so I never got it. I didn't really care though because after the epidural I felt so good. It was an absolutely wonderful experience and I can't wait to do it again. We were going to wait until our daughter is two to try for the next one, but I'm trying to convince my husband to try earlier. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I have had two children and I did not v* with either. I was very n* during the pregnancies but never got sick either. The first one I had an epidural and it was great, BUT I know some people dont have issues with demerol, but it mademe EXTEREMELY dizzy, n* and disoriented. So by my experience, I wouldnt take it, I would just wait for the epidural. My second one I was induced and a very short labor but it came on quick and I was 8 cm before they tried the epidural. Then they had to do it TWICE b.c the anesthesioligist (sp) was a tool. I was very panicky during that labor, borderline hysterical but i did NOT v*.

I had two kids and never vomited with either. In fact, I've never heard of an emetophobe -if they're scared enough - who has! So don't worry yourself!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks everyone for sharing, its so reassuring to read it can be done, even by those who are terrified of v*.

My Consultant (Ob/Gyn) is urging me to havea waterbirth and forgo the narcotic pain releif(gas and air or Pethidine (Demerol). He says that I'm less likely to feel n* or v* if I don't have any drugs in my system, but as I have heard that some women in labourv* through the pain or just naturally that worries me a bit.

I'm not someone who v*s a lot normally. Last time for me was 10 years ago! And I haven't v* in my pregnancy yet (despite being very n* and coming close to it a few timesI always managed not to)so maybe thats a good omen . . .

I don't know quite how bad childbirth pain is and I may not be able to cope without drugs. I'm hoping to have my baby in the hospital birth centre, but I guess if the pain is too bad I'll have to go to the main part of the hospital for an epidural. I'd prefer to be in the birth centre as its more homely and less hospitalised, so I might feel a bit less panicky there.

I'm also going to ask for antiemetics to be avilable. I had a laparoscopy last November under general anaesthetic and made a real point (actually made a bit of a fuss, I think the Doctors were really fed up with me [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]!) of having an antiemetic injection after I came round. I did feel a little bit n* but I think it was just nerves because as soon as I left the hospital and got home I was fine. And no v*! So hopefully if the antiemetic worked then it will work in labour . . .Edited by: ladymoonlight