Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: tattoo

well, Ive decided to get a tattoo. This is something I've been thinking about for some time.

Ive decided on a design - a blue butterfly, on my right side of my lower back. I know its a common design but it represents something to me . I've always been scared to do things on my own, and see the world. This represents the idea that no matter how scared I am,its okay to spread my wings and see the world. I want blue as the color because its the color of the water, which is something I've always been drawn too, and it relaxes me.

I'm just wondering, for the people who ate tattooed on this site, how bad was the pain on a 1 ( light touch) to a 10 ( giving birth) scale? I know pain is relative to each person and depends on which area is being tattooed. but I want to know what I'm getting myself into!

thanks for any other tips as well!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I have a butterfly on my ankle. It was about a 3 for me. I think were I got mine done though is a lot LESS painful then on your back area. I think they are neat as long as it has meaning which yours does. Mine doesn't did it because me and my friends were bored on day.....dumb idea!!!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

I have one on the middle of my lower back...it was about a 3 for me as well. Very bearable. I say go for it!

Okay- in order of pain:

Lower Back = 1.5

Ankle = 2.5

Top of foot = 5.5

.......once you get used to the initial shock of what it feels like, it's completely fine. While he was doing the one on my back, I was eating and checking out a magazine, lol.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I dont have one personally, BUT .......... I have heard that once you get used to the initial shock, the area kinda goes numb and its not too painful at all. I have a few friends and one cousin that have gotten tattoos, and thats what they told me when I asked about it. IF ......... I was thinner and could wear a bikini or the lower waisted jeans, ect ....... I would love to get one on my lower back.

I got 10 of them...and I am going this week to get another....I don't think of them as pain...It's a rush for me...a good pain. I got 3 on my back and those really didn't hurt that bad. The most painful one I got is between my boobs on my breastbone and I rate that a 10!!!! The second most painful one is on my stomach...I give that about a 7 and the 3rd most painful one is on the back of my neck....but they couldn't be that bad or else I wouldn't have so many!!

I have a tatoo on my lower leg that starts at my ankle and goes up from there. It wasn't that bad after the initial few pricks it started to go numb from the constant prick of the gun. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. The only mess was the AD ointment they tell you put on, which ruined a set of sheets.

I have a butterfly too. It is on my right upper shoulder. I got it when I was about to get out of the Air Force. It symbolizes change and changing into something beautiful. Like a new life and new adventure. And it has been so far!

I don't have one.
    But it sounds very prettyful...even more prettyful for the meaning.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

I have a sunflower on my ankle, some areas were a little more sensitive than others, but I would have to rate the pain about a 4.

Make sure you follow the instructions they give you on how to care for it after they do it. You don't want any of the scabbing to take off parts of the color.
    &lt;a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

It all depends on how much you relax. It's like a shot, if you relax you don't even feel it, if you tense up and expect it to hurt, it will hurt.

I am going with my mom tomorrow to photograph her getting her first tattoo. (and I am sure her only one once her husband sees what she's done... lol) She is getting a butterfly as well on her lower back.

I think butterflies are common, but they also have great significance. I think of them in the way that they are these creepy little insects who go into hiding and come out these beautiful and amazing little creatures. To me that represents a lot. As far as my mom goes, she just lost her dad 6 months ago and she visits his grave daily to care for the flowers. Every day there is a butterfly there who flies around her. She's loved butterflies as long as I can remember, too. When she was telling me about getting her tattoo the other day, I swear... A butterfly came to us and flew around our heads. Fun fun.

\"This too shall pass\"

I think the pain is different for different people depending on their pain threshold.

I also have a butterfly on my shoulder - side view, not front on, and a blue rose just below my hip bone (it's hidden when I have undies on!)

My rose was the first one, and hurt quite a bit, but I nearly fell asleep getting the butterfly done!

I have 4,a flower braceleton my right wrist (all the way round)a butterfly on my ankle, a large star on the base of my back and a flower on my left shoulder.

Ive never given birth so cant compare the pain but its a kinda strange pain, cos it kinda hurts/tingles whilst theyre doing it but stops whenthey stop!!! I guess it just depends on the individual. Most people say to me that my wrist must have hurt really bad but i just dont remember so it cdnt have bene that bad.I want anotherbut cant decide where and what!!!

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I have a star on my foot, below my anklebone and sort of on my heel. It was about a four, but its a kind of sensitive area. It's hard to describe so i'll put a small pic:

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I'd say a lower back tattoo is maybe a 2 or 3. It hurts more than the upper arm area, and definitely more than the shoulder blade, but it's still nothing you can't handle. The outline hurts the most, and it usually doesn't take them too long to do that. You get used to the pain after a while, as well. Beware, tattoos are addictive! Once you get one, you're going to keep wanting more! I have a rose on my shoulder(hate it now, got it for my 16th birthday), my son's name in old english writing on my upper arm(pretty large), and a brown eye with teardrops on my lower back. In the near future, I'll be getting my daughters name(Erica) on my leg - I think I'll have a morning glory vine winding halfway up the lower half of my leg, but instead of morning glory blossoms I'll have the letters of her name growing from the vine - and maybe a couple of blossoms thrown in there, too, just to make it pretty.

Oh yeah, keep it out of direct sunlight as much as you can, put vitamin E ointment on it, and do not, do NOT pick at the scabs! Don't scratch when it starts to heal, either, and it will itch like crazy!

I think it's not so much WHERE you get the tattoo as how big it
    is! My tummy tattoo took 1 1/2 hour and it hurt much worse than
    the little one on my arm!! I was thinking about smacking my
    tattoo artist...LOL! So I'd say start small and simple you can
    always add on to it later!

Hey does anyone have a tattoo they regret getting? I've gone
    through periods of not liking one or the other of my two tats (Japanese
    character on right arm and tribal heart with flowers on my
    tummy). Maybe I'm just tired of them or something? Anyone
    else feel like that sometimes?

i have a small shamrock on my foot and it only took about 15 minutes, and i'd say it was a 6-7. the tattoo artist warned me that it was a bad spot to get my first tattoo in because it was sensitive and right on the bone and i'd probably never want to get another one again. he was right. lol. i'd never, ever get another one on my foot but i would like one on my back. i heard it's not too bad on the back, lower or upper. good luck!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I have one on the top of my back, left side. Pain? I'd say about a 3, I would have no problem doing it again.

Well.. Yesterday I went with my mom and watched as she got her first tattoo. It took 3 hours and was on her lower back. She had no problems what so ever. No pain at all really.
    \"This too shall pass\"

well, I went over today to talk to the tattoo artists, and he said he'd draw me up a custom butterfly. he had me fill out a questionairre with my likes and dislikes and such, and he's going to call me when its ready!

Im so nervous for some reason! thanks for all the tips so far!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I'd rate the tattoo on my ankle as about a 3. It was a tiny thing that took about 15 minutes. I'd do it again if I found a design that meant a lot to me.

But then again, giving birth (with some meds) was only an 8 on my scale, I've had much worse pain. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Edited by: mayness