Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What holds you back from overcoming emet?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use my emet as a crutch in life.

0 0%
  • I don’t feel I have enough support.

0 0%
  • Lack of professional help.

7 20.59%
  • I am not consistent with my therapy.

2 5.88%
  • I don’t like to challenge my fear.

23 67.65%
  • I have no idea.

3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.

I am just curious what others think about why they are not progressing in overcoming their fears. I think my reasons change from time to time.

Edited by: shiva
    \"This too shall pass\"

I hvve no professional help. But at the same time..I dont really feel like I get any suport at all.
    <font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

That must suck. It's hard to overcome obstacles without support.

Is it hard to get professional help in the UK? Here in the United States it can be somewhat expensive. It all depends on insurance. I have had to pay out of pocket in the past for counseling and it was not pretty. After I got benefits, even the insurance co pay was hard to keep up with. And on top of that, the insurance company dictated who I saw and how often depending on the severity of my issues.

Anyway, I just wanted to mostly say that I am sorry that you don't have much support there for you. That must be hard.

\"This too shall pass\"

well .. i have the professional help.. now but i think what holds me back is the fear of actually facing this fear head on.. the fact that i WILL have to v* one day.. I WILL have to see others v* and it scares me right now. I cant even fathom it.. but hopefully with time. .therapy will pay off.

\"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

therapy will pay off. just keep going at it. one day you will not have to worry about whether or not you will have to face it head on because it won't even bother you enough to worry about it that much.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I honestly think that sometimes, somehow I use it as a crutch. Or, at least I have. I think my reason for not making progress is usually a mixture of many of the above stated reasons. But I know that I have been very close to conquering it before and kinda chickened out on myself. That made me wonder what emet must do for me in order for me to want to hang onto it. I guess maybe it's that I am already familiar with these issues and this fear. I'm worried about the unknown.
    \"This too shall pass\"

i am def too scared to challange my fear, i usually avoid things rather than facing them and i wish i could break that cycle.