Hey all-

Just thought I would post to let people know what tomorrow is. I work with prisoners and ex-prisoners, and tomorrow is a very important day for people who have ever been incarcerated, are currently incarcerated, have family in prison, or are concerned with human rights.

On August 10th, 1974 Eddie Nalon, a prisoner at Millhaven Maximum Institution (in Ontario, Canada)fatally wounded himself while being held in segregation. The prison administration ignoredthe psychologist's recommendation that Eddie not be put in segregation, and then wasted valuable timewhenit was discovered he was injured.The following year, on the anniversary ofEddie's death, prisoners at Millhaven refused to work, went on a one-day hunger strike, and held a memorial service.

What began as a one-time event to commemorate the loss of one individual has spread, and is nowrecognized internationally. While prisoners fast and refuse to work, community members and activists organize events to raise public awareness on the conditions inside prisons, youth prisons, psychiatric institutions, and immigration detention centers.

This Thursday, August 10th marks the 31st anniversary of Prisoner's Justice Day. There are events going on in many areas of the world- a group I co-chair will be holding a candlelight vigil at a Human Rights monument, and will be reading written submissions from some of the men meet with who are in prison.

So, when you are going about your day tomorrow, please take a moment to think of men, women, and CHILDREN who are being held in detention centres, prisons, and institutions, some of whose conditions contravene basic human rights.

This isn't really an issue of politics, but of human rights and compassion. I don't want to start a huge debate, I just want to pass on what tomorrow is for those who may care.

*amber*