Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The word vomit

I am just curious but would I make a lot of people nervous if I started to use the word vomit instead of v*. The actual word does not bother me but I will respect all of you if it does bother you and continue to just use v*

Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

It doesn't bother me, but I know it does others, so out of consideration for their feelings, I just use v*.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

It doesn't bother me, but most of us use the abbreviations on the site just in case people who join cannot tolerate the actual word.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

There was a time when seeing or hearing that word sent me into a panic
    attack. Thankfully, it no longer does, but just like Charlene and Anya
    I use the abbreviation for anyone it does happen to bother.

It does not bother me at all.

It bothers me a little, but I can handle it. Some people use the abbreviation, some use the whole word. It doesn't matter much to me. I figure seeing the word is good exposure therapy.

I don't censor it. I think any behaviour that doesnt fall into the aviodance category is positive for emets that need to take that first step.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

It doesn't bother me.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Live Each Day as if It\'s Your Last
    ~BRITTANI~

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] it bothers me... it never used to.... but now it does... and lately thers been a lot of posts on here that dont warn when its graphic and i hate this bcos im already dealing wit so much anxiety 24/7 n then i spin into a full blown panick attack when i read them... thankyou all for abbreviating words for us who shake at the sight of them!!
    stef - everything happens for a reason

its doesnt bother me too much but in respect to others i use v* and plus its less typing! haha.. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Same here, i don't mind saying it or typing it, but i just want to respect others with the fear of the word, so i will type v*.

Ruth x

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's a good question to ask, because I have thought about this once or twice..

But for me, it depends how bad I am feeling.. mostly the word is fine, but sometimes seeing the word doesn't help alieviate the anxiety feelings I may have at the time... I prefer the abreviation, but also understand that it is important to see the whole word.

I use the abbreviation in case other's don't like using the word - and it's less key strokes so is easier to type ;-)

don't mind saying it or typing it, but i just want to respect others with the fear of the word, so i will type v*.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is a really good topic! Im not realy bothered by the use of the word vomit. I don't want to cause upset to other people by typing it but on the other hand i think it might be better if people started to use the word. I think it just adds to the irrationality of it all if we are afraid of a word. This is a really nerdy reference but it kind of reminds me of "you know who" from Harry Potter - not naming something just increases fear. I understand that some people aren't ready to address this yet so im happy to keep abbreviating it but sometimes i feel a little twinge when i read the word vomit unabbreviated - this didn't use to happen before.

katy

I agree with Katy and Jill- I think that people may believe that that they are doing others a favour by using an abbreviation instead of writing out the word in full, but I think it's a bit of a disservice. I think it fosters more avoidance behaviour- and avoidance of not even the act or the substance, but the WORD itself. It gives the impression tha vomit is so horrible and terrible (which it isn't) that the word shouldn't even be written. It builds it up to be worse than it actually is.

Maybe the first step for many people who may fear it should be writing it out, or making a point of writing out the word in full. Beating this phobia in full requires a certain degree of comfort with the word itself.

*amber*

ps- Katy, I am also obsessive about Harry Potter, so we can be nerdy together.

Yey Amber a fellow hp obsessive!! I was going to illustrate my point by including some kind of Dumbledore quote but i thought that might be taking things a little too far! I totally agree with what you said though, saying or writing the word vomit may just be a small thing but its actually a really big achievement for an emet. It is one way to gain a little more control over the phobia.

Katy
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm

I agree that writing, seeing and saying the word is a step in the right
    direction, but I don't think it's up to me to decide when somebody else
    takes that step, so I'll continue using the abbreviation.

I think for myself after reading these posts I am going to start actually writing out the word vomit. I am not afraid to use or say it and I don't want to become afraid to write it or use it by becoming used to writing v* so just so everyone knows and not to offend anyone but my posts from know on will spell out the word so if it makes you nervous to read please avoid my posts! (unless I am responding to someone elses post then out of respect I will still use v*)
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

I posted a few months ago about "The evil word v*!" and I do tend to abbreviate it here. I can actually read and say it now, but I know that at one time, seeing that word would ruin my day. I couldn't touch a book if I knew that word was in it. I am a lot better now, and when I am telling people about my emet I describe my fear as being of "people being sick" (in UK this tends to mean v*, not just ill) then I make a point of saying the v word to prove to myself that I can.

I see the arguement from both sides, but as I am now 22, perhaps I have come a long way. I have been emet since I was 10, so that was a long time being scared and I know we have a lot of younger people on this site too.

Oh, and yeah, it does save time typing!

x[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I've always liked that word. It's a professional, clinical term. What bothers me is a two word term (t**** u*, in case that word bothers anyone else). That was the word my parents used, and was the word I heard when I was sick. I formed an association.

What about p*? Does that bother anyone? I like it because it's casual and somewhat humorous.

It doesn't bother me at all, the word v* or all its erm, other terms I sometimes just say them all in a singsong voice, lol. Yea ok that sounded nuts! But yea it doesn't bother me at all (it used to tho), but I dont want to disrespect someone who isn't comfortable with it yet, so I use the v* term instead of writing it out.

We have this discussion on here a lot. I figure if it bothers you to write it, then don't write it. But we can't censor everything - after all this is a site about vomit. And as someone so aptly pointed out, for many people there are other expressions that bother them way more. I kind of agree with Amber - it doesn't really help anyone to avoid looking at the word. If you're so scared on here you can't even see the word, then most of what we talk about will scare the living hell out of you anyway. I do agree that people should mark posts as "graphic". But interestingly enough, when someone does this it gets way more hits!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I don't like to say the word (usually I'll say "throw up" or "got sick" instead) but I'm fine with reading and typing it. But I still spell it v* here, because of how it does bother some people (even though I completely see the point of how that can reinforce bad thought patterns..). The word b* bothers me more, and my least favorite is p*. My sister says the word like it's nothing and it always freaks me out. Though, the saying "worshiping the porcelain God" is amusing to me, and I have no problem with that... hmm..

it doesn't bother me, but i usually use the abbreviations out of consideration of others. but amber is right. you can't fight the phobia until you're comfortable with the word! maybe it's a step back for some of us if we're avoiding the word entirely, but i guess everybody has to fight this fear at their own pace!!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Just a note that if you're really afraid of the word, and you go to the Exposure website (see the top of the Treatments thread for the link)...anyways the first 5 "pictures" are the word starting with just v**** and then vo***, etc.

You can systematically look at them and think about what you're looking at until you get comfortable with the word and it doesn't scare you anymore.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.