Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: An experience

Welp I thought this weekend I was surely gonna be fine, since last one was so cruddy. My husband's family came to visit from out of town, and we did have a good time, which I'm glad we did. The thing was this morning I felt REAL sick, like verge of v*ing, and had the trots, and man I thought at first I better not have caught that stomach virus from the gal at work, and I just felt completely horrible. The thing was this morning I took 2 vitamin Cs, and 2 IBprofins all in one go (have had some sinus issues), and I think that may have been what did it, because I had only eaten a little bit before I took them, and it may have been the combination that did it. Thankfully I got feeling better so the day wasn't ruined or anything and I got to enjoy being with family which was good. Its just now I'm scared to eat, and I just feel kind of shaken some because I thought surely after last weekend this one would be a-ok. I know I need to eat, I just get the feeling that if I do then it could happen again. I don't like when this happens because its like I have to start over again in rebuilding confidence and such, tho I am kind of proud that I managed to have a good day tho I felt real horrible earlier.

Poor thing. Don't worry, you'll be all right. You certainly
    did gulp down a lot of pills this morning, and on an empty or mostly
    empty stomach, that could definitely have caused your discomfort.

I definitely understand that you are scared to eat, but when that
    happens, don't worry about not eating. That will just make your
    anxiety worse. I recommend a little diet modification similar to
    what's recommended when you're recovering from gastro-related
    illness. It should help your anxiety as well as your tummy.

Start by sucking on a piece of hard candy or a lollipop--whatever's
    your favorite. If your tummy still feels okay after that, start
    drinking water--just sips at first, then normal swallows if you're
    still okay. Drink as much as water as you can--it will stimulate
    your appetite a bit and keep food from irritating your stomach.
    Sometimes a bottle or two of water is all it takes to put your stomach
    and your appetite to rights again, but if not, just eat plain, bland
    food when you're ready to try eating--I like saltines, dry toast, and
    white rice with salt and pepper when I'm not feeling up to snuff.
    Then work up to stuff like turkey or chicken sandwiches (just meat and bread, no condiments!) and cooked vegetables.

I eat this way every time I'm bouncing back from a "stress starve" and
    it really does cut down on anxiety as well as the stuff that results
    from trying to eat again--nausea, cramping, and what you call "the
    trots" (a name I think is so funny!!) The main thing is not
    to worry...as long as you're drinking lots of water, you're okay.

LostAngeleno

Edited by: lostangeleno

i hope you are feeling better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you for the replies!
    Heh, I decided well I need to eat, and told myself to not be such a baby about it, so me and my husband got some sushi! I so far am doing okay, which is good. Its just hard after something like this to make yourself get back to normal. I feel like I'm just trying so hard to not do what my instinct is to do (not eat, freak out, shut myself away), so I'm trying to just go with it, like today my inital instinct would have been to turn around and stay home (we were headed out to my dads to visit), and this thought crossed my mind as I was really trying hard to not get sick, but I went with it and it did end up okay which is good. I think what helped too was that none of my husband's family acted all odd or anything, no "omg you feel sick?!?" or anything like that, just an "oh Im sorry you feel bad", and that helped because I think it makes it worse to be all "omg!!" about it. I wonder if this isn't how my mom treated me when I Was sick as a kid. Acting like its no biggie helps me see that its ok to feel crappy and even to get sick/have the trots (lol) and no one spazzes out like it is a normal thing.

Ewwwww...sushi....you must have been feeling better! Glad all is well! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I have to agree with HDogg.. I USED to love the stuff but got a sv a couple years ago.. it was awful.. no one had any signs near me that they were sick so i must have got it from a customer at work or from money.. Anyways so I was the FIRST person to get this sv.. awful experience to say the least.. I v**ed 13 times!!.. i am not even kidding.. and what did i eat that night.. oh you know.. SUSHI!! *shivers* so i used to love it but after v* that much of something.. that was the end for me..

I hope i didnt ruin your appetite for it.. i do remember it being quite good..

lol

Take care
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I also feel better when people treat it like it's no big thing.
    "Oh, I'm sorry you're not feeling well," works so much better than, "Oh
    my God! You feel sick? What's wrong? Here, take/do
    this--it'll help you feel better!" Anxiety is totally
    contagious! Even a suspicious glance my way after I've said I
    don't feel too well would make me feel even worse!

But I am always telling myself that not everybody responds to seeing
    someone else get sick in the same way that I would! Not everybody
    would turn around and walk away all shaky and nauseous
    themselves. For every person who'd walk away, there has to be at
    least another person who would stop to help in some way--someone who
    would CALMLY offer up some tissues, some reassurance, some help to the
    restroom, maybe ask if there is anyone they can call for me.
    Going through that scenario every time I start to get a little hopped
    up is always comforting to me.

LostAngeleno

Hey Lostangeleno, I agree if someone makes a deal about it then in a way it makes me feel worse. I mean I could tell my husbands mom she cared and stuff, but didn't go nuts or anything which helped a lot.

This morning I am so far ok, but I think I have a cold or something of that nature as my head hurts and sinuses feel like theyve been rubbed with sandpaper, and my throat hurts. I think I've been fighting a sinus thing for a week now, so I'm sure that doesn't help things. Can this cause your stomach/intestines to feel bad? Theyve felt on and off all this last week that Ive been having sinus problems too.

Edited by: Galadriel

Sinus problems can def. make your stomach feel off. I am getting over a cold atm, and it made my stomach upset, probably from the drainage. Take it easy, and drink lots of fluids.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Vitamin C and Ibuprofen mess up my tummy alone, I cannot imagine how bad off I'd be if I mixed them. If I take either on an empty stomach I too get super n* and get the runs.

Try sipping some gatorade, it seems to work in this case pretty well.

Hope you fel better soon.

Hey marie, well that does make me feel better to know its not just me, that that can happen. Man I've only felt that horrendously nauseas with a stomach bug. I felt like if I moved the wrong way I would be sick.
    Today has been better (except my sinuses), but I think i'm fighting off something.

Galadriel, it definitely sounds as though you are fighting off something. Your sore throat plus drainage from your sinuses can DEFINITELY make your stomach go haywire--I have had both happen to me!

An antihistimine like Benadryl will help dry up that drainage AND help your stomach a little bit as well. It will probably also make you sleepy, but it sounds like you need all the rest you can get right now anyway. It's also good to take your temperature any time you have a sore throat--if it's high, you might have strep, in which case it would be time to go to the doctor.

Feel better, hon!

LostAngeleno

Thanks LostAngeleno, I've been laying low. Prolly just some sinus thing or something.