Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey, im new here.

Ive suffered from emet sinceI threw up voilently after eating a dodgy pizza at the age of 4 (im now 16!)....this phobia has ruled my life for so long, ive recently started writing suicide letters to my family...

Yesterday i had hypnotherepy for this fear, and it seems to have worked. although the fear hasnt completley gone, i can say and read the word 'v****' without anxiety, and i can look at pictures of people v******* and remain calm.....i still have a problem though....flying.

im afraid i will v**** on the flight (its a 3 hour flight) while its in the air and i wont be able to get off.....has anyone got any ideas how i can get through this?im also worried that i wont be able to get on the plane home bcos of the fear of v******, and i will be stuck there!i cant let my family down and not go on holiday, i need the break....also, a question. can anxiety make someone v****??

your replies are v much apreciated.

L x

Hi. Welcome to IES. Didnt I used to tlak to you on xanga? You seem familiar. hmm anyway. Im glad that you found hypnotherapy to be helpful. Alot of people have said how effective it can be. I dont have much experiance of flying but since its a 3 hour ffight it should be ok as you know you wont be up there for long. Take some distractions like a cd player or some books to read - anything to distract yourself from thinking about v* or just panicing in general. Im sure that once you get there you'l soon forget about the flying and will have a good time. The journey home should be alot easier for you. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

People who have emetophobia don't usually v* from anxiety like non-emetophobic people can. I have flown twice and had no nausea at all. Try some Dramamine or another over-the-counter travel sickness pill. Also, you might want to try those wrist bands that are supposed to help with motion sickness.

Xanax helped me through my 3 hour 45 min flight!!! Take some headphones too...good luck.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hi i posted a topic similar to this about a month ago because I too was worried about taking a 3 hr flight. My flight turned out fine and i found that once i was in the air my anxiety decreased dramatically. I made sure i had an anti-emet (motilium 10) with me just incase i felt ill and i took a lot of things with me for distraction (music, magazines, book, puzzle book). Also they played films on both of my flights so that was a fun distraction! I agee with izzybee though, if you are anything like me you will find the flight back much easier because you will know it's not that bad!

Hope everything goes ok, you will be fine!

Ps i am also really interested that hypnotherapy has been so succesful for you. Are you planning to have more? Let us know how it goes!
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hmmm i was gonna say take a cd player too but i dont know since your from the UK if they are allowing those yetdue to the terror attack foil.. anyways.. Xanax worked the best for me. I flew to Germany last year from the states.. total of 15 hrs of flying. I was ok. From Washington state to the east coast though.. it was like a rollar coaster and of course i was in the back of the plane and next to the window (pretty much my nightmare) buuut i took a xanax or maybe two lol and.. two dramamine. That stuff works great. Atleast get the dramamine and you will be fine!

Have a fun trip!
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Thankyou so much!!! i think im convinced ill be okay, ive not heard many stories about peeople being sick on a plane, only when theyre drunk or what-not, and thats their own fault! lol

I only had the one hypnotherepy, and it seems to have made me more relaxed about sick in general, im not so bothered about it happening when im on the ground, its just while im trapped in the air..if you get me.

I go to relaxation classes, but i wont go again to have more hypnotherepy, you only need it the once of its successfull.

thanks v much for all the advice, v much apreciated!

and yes izzy, i know you!!!! nice to see your still around...talk to u sooon x

Were you here earlier, maybe under another username or something??? cause i remember your avatar pic.

I would do just what izzy says, distract yourself!! I've found cd players or IPods help a lot.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Thanks Anya.

no, i have only registered once on this forum, maybe its bcos i havent been around for a while.

x

Hi Lucie-

First off, I'm glad that you're alive and well! This message was posted awhile ago, and I thought it may have pertained to you:

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=8403&am p;KW=jenneh

I'm very glad that this wasn't you- or that Jenneh was given some misinformation- I do have a bit of a weird memory for details, so when I saw your post today needless to say I was surprised and happy.

About flying- if you haven't gotten motionsick before, it is unlikely that you will get it now, especially since flying is the mode of transportation least likely to make you ill. I'm not a big fan of taking any medication that you haven't before when travelling, but I would recommend things like ginger (either in ginger ale or in ginger mints/capsules), saltine crackers, and licorice, which have natural antiemetic properties. I don't know if your carry-on regulations have become more lax since the terrorist scare (they have returned almost to normal in my country), but even if they havent, they usually have ginger ale or sprite available on the drink cart.

Keeping busy is also a goodidea- whether it is watching one of the in-flight movies, or reading. If by chance you are allowed to bringon portable music devices, that along witha sleep mask can help you get "in the zone"- will relax you, and if by chance anyone does get ill around you (which is unlikely), you won'thave to see or hear it.

That- and I wouldn't worry about anxiety making you ill- in someone who isafraid of vomitting, it is unlikely that you will make yourself vomit (although itcan make your stomach feel a bit off).

I hope you have an amazing holiday- I have to take a bus to visit my parents this weekend, and it is six and a half hours......man, I wish Icould fly there, lol. I'm sure once you are on the plane and headed to your destination, you will be fine.

*amber*

I flew in a plane for the first time a few years ago, and was very scared, like you are.

Once I got on the plane, I felt better. taking off is like a really really fun ride.... and I felt SO free being up in the air. there were a few times when I felt a little queezey, but that was just when we hit turbulance and it went away when I ate some crackers. I wasn't even close to throwing up in any way, it was probably just my nerves from being so worked up about the whole ordeal.

you'll be fine - flying is an amazing feeling... it was the 2nd best part of my trip! you'll love it!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

omg babydoll the taking off part is the scariest for me because it is like a ride and you know what can happen on rides that is terrifying for us emets?! or maybe just for me.. i cant stand rides or amusement parks. hehe.. distractions are a deffinate.. take some magazines and maybe some cross word puzzles and things but you will be fine i am sure of it!
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain