Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

No, I didn't *v*, thank God! As some of you may recall I went to Mexico 2 weeks ago and stayed for 7 days. The night before we left to come back home I got severe diarrhea. I was very sick the day we left and continued to have nausea and diarrhea. I took the maximum amount of Immodium that I could for the diarrhea and I took Phenergan for the nausea. I was able to get my symptoms under control before we got on the plane to come home, however by the time I got home that evening I had a fever of 102. My diarrhea continued for 2 more days until I had to go to the ER for dehydration on Saturday night. I am doing better now, but still very weak and tired. They are certain it was a bacterial illness but aren't sure what kind of bacteria. I am on my second course of antibiotics. I am so thankful that I did not *v* but I came very close. The worst part was that most of the time I was feeling sick, I was stuck at the airport, so that made me even more anxious. As if flying wasn't nerve-wrecking enough for an emet!

I came back to work today for a 1/2 day, so I thought I would give a quick update. I'll update more on my trip later. I had a fantastic time despite the sickness.

Jess

Aww, I'm sorry you were sick! It sounds like you handled it really well, though. I'm glad the trip was fun, despite the illness.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Gosh Jess, I am so sorry that this happened to you on your vacation. Atleast if it had to happen, atleast it was on your last day there. I know the airport and the plane ride home had to be torture, esp. for an emet. I'm glad you are feeling better!!!! I'm glad you still had a great time!!!!

Sorry that happened. A co-worker had the same kind of symptoms you have. She had major d* for about 4 days, fever of 102 and was in and out of the hospital for dehydration. She never v* either, but the doctors said it was some kind of bacterial infection. Anyways, glad the worse is over, how was your trip?

Yikes, did you drink the water? Ive always heard don't drink the water in Mexico! Did you eat out a lot? It could have just come from the food or something down there. Do they have like different germs than we do or something?

i hope you're feeling better jess! i'm glad your trip was fun despite getting sick. i wonder if it was the water. my dad got SO sick the first time we went to mexico just from brushing his teeth without bottled water. where in mexico were you? i've been to cancun and cabo san lucas. cabo is definitely my favorite!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Well, I thought I was getting better and my diarrhea started back again. I had to obtain stool cultures (yuck) so they can try and see what bacteria is causing me to be sick. My doctor put me on another course of antibiotics for 3 days to see if that will help. The diarrhea isn't as severe as previously, but it's still not "normal". Most of all, I'm very weak and probably still dehydrated. I just want to feel better soon!

Our resort was on the Riviera Maya and they use only purified water there. We did visit one of the natural parks in Playa del Carmen and that is where I think I picked up the bacteria. I got a can of Pepsi from one of the vendors there. It had been in a cooler with lots of melted ice and the first drink I took was pure water that had accumulated on top of the can in the cooler. I didn't even realize it until I had already drank it. Of course, I'm extremely careful about what I eat, drink, and touch--even here in the states. Our resort had 12 restaurants and we eat basically all of our meals there. The food was pretty good.

Otherwise, I had a great time except for nearly getting thrown off a horse. We did some snorkeling in the reefs, my husband went parasailing, and I swam with dolphins, so we were very busy. We had a few days to relax at the pool, too. Even though I got sick, I would go back in a heartbeat. It was wonderful and so beautiful!

Jess

Jess....I am so glad you are back...but I am soooooooo sorry you got sick while you were there...that just sucks!!!!!!!!!! I know you had a great time despite that fact though. I know you were miserable on that flight back...i can only imagine how that would feel...i know when i went to Aruba....i had the D bad on the way, on the plane....it was not fun at all...but the rest of the trip was good...it really sounds like it was a blast...with everything that you and your husband were able to do while you were there...My husband and I are thinking of taking a trip like that soon....i will be scared and nervous, but i guess i will do it anyway. I am happy to hear that most of the trip was good anyway......take care. And keep us updated on your progress in getting over whatever it isyou have. Get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! K
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Awww...im so sorry that you are sick. That is why I don't ever want to go to Mexico