Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Fer-eaking OUT

Okay, I was reading a book and a good part was coming up and it built up excitement and then I stopped reading cuz I felt wierd. I had that nervous feeling in your chest, and then a started shivering. I changed into warmer clothes and it stopped but what was that all about? It was so wierd I feel so embaressed to talk about. Someone tell me I'm fine.

You're fine.

Anxiety and excitement feel very similar because they both trigger a release of adrenline.

i'm sure you're fine. chicajojobe is definitely right. it's happened to me before too! sometimes i get that way when i'm anxious
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I think you just got over excited, I get the same feeling when I watch Anthony Heald in Silence of The Lambs or 8mm. I get this weird fluttery feeling in my chest but it's nothing to worry about, I actually like the feeling I get when I see him in one of his movies. You're fine.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I get those really weird feelings too, this what my mom tells me when i'm freaking out saying mom doyou think I'm sick she would say No....... are you crazy?? and this is the funny part she would say erin you need to go to a mental hospital your driving me nuts, I know that sounds harsh but it works for me it makes me realize I'm being very stupid for no reason at all, my mom loves me haha she's not a bad mother I think she knows it helps me when she says things like that. But with anxiety comes excitement which causes these weird feelings, it's simply just anxiety. YOUR NOT SICK, YOUR HEALTHY AS A HORSE! say that everytime these weird feelings come on tell yourself it's all in my head and I need to relax..

You're totally fine and chica..is correct. It's a fascinating thing, and perhaps it can even be used to help you and enlighten you about your phobia. It makes me think you'd be a very good candidate for anxiety treatment programs that are body-based. I'll explain. When you got excited, your body produced endorphins that feel very much like adrenalyn. It starts your heart pumping faster and tightens up your muscles. (Actually this "gears us up" for sexual activity...at a very primal-emotional level, but whatever...) The thing is, that once you felt your heartrate increase and that surge of hormones, your body "remembered" all the other times you felt those feelings, and 99% of the time for an emetophobe, that's when you're terrified of being sick. So then the "wires" got crossed in your brain and you actually panicked.

This knowledge should help in a few ways: 1) you can now realize your "nausea" is only a body response to anxiety - you're not actually sick. 2) next time this happens, or anything else that 'suddenly' makes you feel "sick" you can say - hey, this is just a body response. I'm fine. 3) therapy programs that "simulate" anxiety attacks by having you increase your heartrate through running on a treadmill or spinning in circles should work well wtih you. They don't with everyone.

Good luck with it!

(And the sort answer is - you're fine!)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lol monica - do u mean anthony hopkins in silence of the lambs? or is there an anthony Heald as well?? im confused lol...

yer iv definately had that too... u were probably so immersed (spelling?) in the story that it got a reaction like that out of ur nervous system - means its a fantastically written book!! thats what writers aim for - anyways witout going into a big speil about writing!... it was just ur excitement... had u had any caffiene or stimulants? cos that cancause those kind of reactions too
    stef - everything happens for a reason