Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Firstly I want to say I don't have it really that bad, it just acts up sometimes. The thing is, I find myself being paranoid somewhat about bathrooms and where they are. Usually tho I am just fine, but its like always knawing at the back of my mind. A lot of times, I wonder if I have any IBS just due to this nagging thoughts, and it kind of is like self-fulfilling in a way. Like for example, I'll be thinking before I go to work "man what if I'm at register and have to go?", then like on cue my guts will start to hurt, but even if I am on register, usually I am just fine anyways, like 9 times out of 10 I am a-ok. I sometimes wonder if most if it I dont just psych myself into. I think if I could get rid of those nagging fears/thoughts maybe I wouldnt even have any IBS at all?

Also with erm bowel movement stuff sometimes I feel like Ive lost touch with what is normal and what is not. I wonder if I'm more normal than I think I am. I dont get real d* often at all, but my guts will cramp, and sometimes its like I gotta keep going (not d* or anything) just have to keep going several times sometimes. Like is this just normal human behavoir or what? Lol its like I dont even know.

Edited by: Galadriel

You know, with ibs...your bowel movements just vary so much, they are never or rarely the same, and so i have come to the conclusion, that with me, nothing and everything is normal. I know the mind is a powerful thing, and when we always expect a certain thing to happen, it normally does...i try so hard to keep a positive attitude about it, but everytime it happens, i feel so let down, and feel as though my life will always be this way. So i don't know what to tell ya, except, just hang in there!!!!!!!!
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hey Kate,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it is hard to know because well, unless I go around and ask 500 people what their bms are like then I won't really know what is considered "normal". Lol! I know it varies with each person, what is normal for one person in that region could be like completely ab-normal for someone else. Its just so hard to know. I know for sure I'm not that bad IBS wise, my husband has it worse than I do. I guess there is no real answer, but Im sure the mind has a big part to play as well. Like when I think about it, its like a self-fulfilling prophecy (much like with emet if you think about your stomach/ worry about it hurting chances are you'll bring on a stomach ache). I think its def. connected. I was talking to my husband yesterday, and he suggested that since I'm used to concentrating on my stomach so much, that I notice things a lot more that others may just dismiss as nothing.

Try to increase your fiber that helped me i no longer have cramps or gas at the wrong time

You are absolutely right ......i know it's got to be true, with all the bad negative thinking we have, it has to have an effect on our bodies/minds in the way we feel...and it happens so often. I would love to trade in my brain for a better one...one that thinks NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!! I know that will never happen...so your hubby has ibs? What does he take for it? Anything? I know it's strange that so many people have it. I will never ever understand ibs and emet either...i think it's a weak link in my brain, seriously.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Quote Originally Posted by kate1966
    You are absolutely right ......i know it's got to be true, with all the bad negative thinking we have, it has to have an effect on our bodies/minds in the way we feel...and it happens so often. I would love to trade in my brain for a better one...one that thinks NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!! I know that will never happen...so your hubby has ibs? What does he take for it? Anything? I know it's strange that so many people have it. I will never ever understand ibs and emet either...i think it's a weak link in my brain, seriously.
    Lol I know what you mean, if I could just have a normal brain, but then does anyone have a truly normal one?

Yes my husband has it, but he can't take anything for it due to his genetic disease, he has a huge list of meds he cannot take (basically most of them). He can take IB profin, and vitamin C, and thats about it. I feel for him, I dont even think he could take Imm AD.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfote
    Try to increase your fiber that helped me i no longer have cramps or gas at the wrong time
    Ive tried the metamucil stuff several times, didnt seem to do anything.

I admit I giggled a little when I read your post because I remember back when I was a teen I noticed that "old" people seemed fixated on their bowels and would talk of normalacy, frequency, etc., without thinking twice.

I do it all the time! I never thought I'd get to that stage until I was at least 50....[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Anyway, with IBS,I don't think there is a "normal BM". Which really messes things up when you have a doctors appointment and they ask you if your bowel habits are normal.

As for the fiber thing, I've read that increasing soluble fiber (potatoes, grains, pasta, rice, some fruit) is helpful, but insoluble fiber (broccoli, leafy greens, some grains) can make IBS symptoms worse. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] And anxiety makes it worse too.Edited by: marieb73