Hey!

My name is Brittany, I've been on here since the beginning,(even way before the new forum)but I've never really posted anything, just kinda of looked around, and read your posts. But I have decided I'd like to start posting on here as well. Here's my experiance being an emet:

I've been emetophobic for about8 years now. I am 16 and I've had it since I was about 8. I also haven't Ved in 7 years. It was in the 3rd grade, and I remember my first experience with being and emet was while I was having drops put into my ears, because I had just had an operation on my ears. My mom was watching TV, and there was this awful show on, andI kept telling her I wanted to go to my room, but right after my dropsI had to sit so the drops would make sure to stay in, so I wasn't able to. And the most awfullest scary thing happend on that show (and I am pretty sure you know what I mean) and I freaked out! They just thought I didn't like the show, until they rented Slappy and the Stinkers(don't watch has a bad Ving scene) and when that scene happend I freaked out too. From then on I would not watch any movies, or tv til about last year. I wouldn't go out anywhere, to theme parks, or the mall, or a restaurant. I would refuse to go to school, on an airplane, on a bus. I wouldn't listen to the radio, watch ANY movies or TV. I had really really bad OCD. I hated being around people, because well I always wondered what would happen if they got sick.

It was awful, and then about 2 years ago I knew I had to stop. I had a therapist and talked to him about a bit of my problems, but the majority of my becoming better was done by me. I made myself watch tv, butI made sure I had the remote next to mejust incase I couldsomething happend and I had to mute.And I also made myself go out and do things. When I started doing these things, my OCD started to dissapear, and I was just feeling more relieved.

Now I am able to watch some tv without worrying what will happen on the show. I never could even stand cartoon shows when someone Ved, but now they don't bother me at all. And as for movies, I can only watch2 movies so far with Ving in them. Like I made myself watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Cheaper by the Dozen. Those 2 movies didn't bug me at all! I go in busses, and on planes, and to theme parks now. In fact I go anywhere without worrying at all about people Ving. I actually just got back from California, which we went to lots of theme parks, and went on a 6 and 1/2 hour plane ride, and I didn't even think about Ving!

I have really come a long way. I still am working on bein gable to watch any movie, or any TV show, but I think that will take a bit. I am very proud of myself for going this far!

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]