Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I made tacos tonight and ate half of the one-pound batch. I refrigerated the leftover condiments but inexplicably forgot to put the taco meat away. It sat out for 2 1/2 to 3 hours after I pulled the plug on the electric skillet. The skillet was covered the whole time. The meat was only slightly warmer than room temperature when I finally put it away.

Do you think this taco meat will be safe to eat when reheated?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't know. They always say no more than two hours at room temperature. But since the meat was still slightly warm, it might be OK. But if it were me, I would throw it away.

gumdropper, is the weather warm/hot where you are? Leaving cooked meat out to cool down before refrigerating it is usually fine, but I would be hesitant toreheat itif it was kept in a warm environment for such a period of time. Although 2 1/2 hours is not all that long, I suppose..

Argh, it's so hard to know!

If you decide to eat it, the best thing to do (to be on the safe side) would be to completely heat the hell out of it in the microwave [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]I always feel safer when I reheat things to scolding hot.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Toss it.

My emets says just toss it because i would worry too much, but
    according to my food safety education...the temperature danger
    zone...which is out on the counter for 4 hours is a no no, then its
    garabage for sure, but under 4 is okay, just make sure to reheat it to
    165 for at least 15 seconds, that kills any bacteria that grew in it.
    ANy more questions you can email me. -Ruby
    I love Sam

I personally would think it would be fine, althought I may worry about it. There has been plenty of times when my bf has made tacos or chili or steak and has left it out for hours he always eats it the next day and is always fine. I say if your gonna worry don't bother, its eaiser to make new taco meat then worry yourself to death.

If it was between 40 and 140 degrees F for more than 2 hours, toss it. That is what I was taught while working at a restaurant. Better safe than sorry.

Im sure its fine. I'd eat it. Think about it.... when we were kids we brought stuff like that for lunches all the time.. and it sat in our backpacks from 8 untill noon - thats 4 hours, and I've never been sick.

also, the seasoning, if it was spicy, would help stop the growth of bacteria is there was any - spices were used long ago for just that purpose.

It's fine.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Well, we actually wait until our food reaches room temperature before refrigerating it, because if it goes into the fridge warm, the moisture makes it soggy and gross. We do this with Chris' meat all the time (not to mention my dad will leave his meat on the counter for hours before eating it), and it has yet to make him sick.

And Jill is absolutely right- I remember back in my meat eating days, bringing leftover hamburger and the like to school in lunches, where it would sit in my plastic Rainbow Brite lunchbox for hours before lunch.

I would say not to worry- but then again, I would never eat taco meat to begin with (vege-ma-tarian), so who am I to say anything, lol.

*amber*

I tossed the meat. Better than tossing it tomorrow. I'm too much of an emet to think any other way. Why risk more than 30 years of being able to keep everything down over $1.25 worth of taco meat?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see