Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone. I havent posted here for almost a year. I've been putting the whole emet issue on hold becuase i've got so many other things to deal with..like adhd. I was evaluated and it looks like i have it, but my doctor is afraid to put me on psychostimulants because when i first went to him i was "anorexic", and he said putting me on one of these meds would be malpractice. but i think im going to go crazy for the rest of my academic life if i dont do something about the adhd. my regular doctor told me nothing works for adhd like the meds. does anyone know if adhd meds will make the emet, or the anxiety involved with it, worse than it already is? If the psychostimulants do cause anxiety, can something be done to counteract that? Does the anxiety side-effect go away after you make an adjustment to taking a new med?

While i'm typing, i might as well ask this: what is the success rate of gradual exposure therapy to treat emet?

i also think i should go to a therapeutic boarding school because my parents are so unsupportive.

Hope all's well with everyone...i'll try to read some post to see how everyone's doing.

-Rebecca-

Hi...just a reply to the exposure therapy question: I plan on starting a "desensitization" program along with counseling w/a phobia counselor & seeing my usual psychiatrist & psychologist weekly. I pray that it works!!! I can't take living like this with this emetophobia much longer! It's controlling everything!! I'm sorry I don't know about the adhd drugs & emet. (And sad to say I'm a Pharmacy Tech!) Good luck anyway![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Progress not Perfection!

HI Rebecca,

Your doctor is the best person to answer the meds question. I wouldn't take advice on such an important medical question from the internet. Nobody on here is any sort of authority in meds, or adhd.

Gradual exposure is very effective under the following two conditions 1) the therapist can structure it properly so it really is gradual, and not the least bit panic-inducing for the client and 2) the client is committed to it. Also 3) the therapist is warm and compassionate and the client trusts them and feels safe and cared for.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You're right. The doctor I have right now is so narrow-mided; I'm looking for another one who at least won't give up befoe they try. I'm just worried that I might get worse emet/anxiety-wise if I start one of these meds. I feel so stuck because it's like I have to choose between living with adhd or living with emet and panic attacks.