Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My Ob/Gyn Consultant has advised me that when I go intolabour I should have a waterbirth and not have any gas and air or Pethidine, to avoid N* or v* from these drugs. Basically do it au naturel.

But everyone I've spoken to, including my mother, says this is just not do-able, especially as its my first babyand I'll be screaming for drugs etc. Their faveargument - which makes meLIVID is: "Oh God I'd sooner be s* than go through that pain - you won't care about being s* when you're in labour anyway, you'll just need all the durgs they can give"

Is this true? Why would my Consultant advise me to have a natural birth if the pain is just not bearable?

I'd love some opinions from people who WON'T spout the above mentioned argument (I know emetophobes won't) and if you really think first time birth is not bearable as a waterbirth without pain releif what are the safest options as far as getting rid of the pain but not making me v*?

I've looked into a hiring a doula and sadly they are way too expensive for our budget right now. They are private hire only in my area and charge up to £600 - £800! No way we can afford that.

When I was in labour with my daughter I had gas and air and pethedine. It was a very long labour lasting for almost 30 hours. Although I felt a bit n*, I did not v* at all and I was glad of the pain relief.Labour with my son was much quicker at just over 2 hours. I did not have time for any pain relief, but I still felt slightly n*. I think when the time comes for you, you will know what you want. I think a waterbirth is a great idea. I would have liked to try that, but my hospital did not have the facilities.

My first baby was born by Caesarean under an epidural. My second was a forceps delivery with gas and air followed by another epidural. I didn't v*,and onlyfelt a little n* from the sheer effort of pushing. Go with what feels right for you on the day.

look at it this way. your doctor is the professional- not your mother or anyone else who is not an obgyn.

\"This too shall pass\"

Yep, agree with Shiva. The docs themselves can give you more objective advice, and have a lot more experience. You can also start with the intention of having a drug-free birth, but ask that there is a back-up plan in case you feel the pain is unbearable.

And there are many women who give birth without any drugs, and manage just fine. My mom had me and my brother au natural, and she said it was fine. She was surprised, as everyone told her it was so painful, but she found that it was manageable.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think it just depend on what you want really. To be honest you can't really plan this around not v*ing. V*ingand n* is sometimes naturally a part of labor. Many women have drugs and don't v* and many don't have drugs and still v*.

I was induced for my first labour which lasted 11 hrs. I was given an epidural and I was fine. no nausea. Nothing.

My second pregnancy was an elective caesarean for twins. I had a spinal block and they automatically give you an anti-emetic for that. I was fine. No nausea.

My third pregnancy ended in a natural delivery. 2 hrs. No pain relief whatsoever. No waterbirth. Just on the bed. Yes, it hurts. Of course it does, but it IS doable.

And no matter which way you have, you can ask for an anti-emetic when you start in labour. They can give it to you through a drip, or you can take a tablet. I asked for the tablet in the last one and it really helped me focus on getting through those pains knowing I wasn't going to have to cope with feeling, or being, sick.

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

I have had 2 births....both done natural...well, with my first, i think i had one shot of demerol...which didn't help one bit...i was induced both times, never had any n or v with either one. On the second time, they did give me something, I have no idea what it was, all i know is, after each contraction, i would be knocked out until the next contraction came...but no n or v from whatever that was either. I think it all depends on how you tolerate pain. I know for me, it was major painful, and if i could have had an epidural, i would have in a heartbeat. I was not given the option either time.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I had a natural birth the second time, and spent some time in the birthing tub, tho she was not born in it. It is painful, but definitely do-able. Go with what you feel is right for you.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I am no expert but....I think you should think about taking the frugs/gas if you need them. After all, everyone is different, you may feel a little n* but i have never really heard of anyone v* during labour. Think how many times you have felt n* and coped...somehow you have coped....well this will be the same. Who knows, you could be very lucky and not feel that much pain. I'd have thought a water birth would be more stressful for a emet due to lack of pain relief though.

Also, tell the doctor/mid wifes about your emet and im sure they will be sympathetic and take that into consideration when giving you medication

i had forceps with epidural, i was in labour for a long time so after i had my baby girl i felt sick with being tired but once i had a sleep i was fine! i would recommend epidural and if you tell the midwife when your in labour about your emet they will give you an injection in your leg to stop you from v* hope this helps

My mother had both my brother and me without any drugs. Er, actually she may have had something with my brother, because I know he dislocated her hips.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] She didn't v* AT ALL during pregnancy. Was never morning s*, and not during labour either. She said her mother wasn't either, so maybe it's genetic? Ask your mother, sisters, aunts, etc. because it may very well have to do with your family.

take the gas. with every medication there is the possibility of n* or v* but it doesn't mean that you will. if you've tolerated most medications well already, you shouldn't have any problem with this. i had an epidural when in labor with my daughter and it worked wonderfully. no n* or v*. i believe that the pain IS bearable but it would be a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience if you had a little relief. good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I had an epidural and I have to say that I have never felt better in my entire life! I was so relaxed and just felt so good! I will definitely get the epidural again. I felt n* before I got the epidural from all the pain. I think the pain may have been bearable, but I would much rather have some relief so I can actually enjoy the experience (which I did).

I delivered my first baby 23 years ago with no pain relief drugs. I practiced relaxation/breathing techniques religiously throughout the pregnancy. The pain was more like "work" (hence the term "labour", I guess) than unbearable pain. It was strong, but felt sort of "natural" and so I wasn't anxious about it.

These days, I thought epidurals were the way to go anyway. That's what most women in Canada seem to have as a "backup" if labour lasts too long or gets too intense.

I agree never mind what your mother or those other women say....geez ain't it the truth that women are your worst enemy when you're pregnant? geesh! Go with whatever feels right for you, hun. And good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    geez ain't it the truth that women are your worst enemy when you're pregnant?
    Yeah, I've never had children, but it certainly seems that way. People I know who have been pregnant have told me that, once they started to show, women they barely knew would, without asking, touch their bellies. I was floored by the thought because I'd be likely to smack someone for that!

I guess everyone who's been there thinks they know all there is to know about pregnancy. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Goodluck with your delivery. I'm sure you'll be fine. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Edited by: chicajojobe

Quote Originally Posted by sage

I agree never mind what your mother or those other women say....geez ain't it the truth that women are your worst enemy when you're pregnant? geesh! Go with whatever feels right for you, hun. And good luck!
    Yeah for some reason all these horror stories come out, even when you aren't pregnant and just ask about their experiences having children. Ugh! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]