My Ob/Gyn Consultant has advised me that when I go intolabour I should have a waterbirth and not have any gas and air or Pethidine, to avoid N* or v* from these drugs. Basically do it au naturel.

But everyone I've spoken to, including my mother, says this is just not do-able, especially as its my first babyand I'll be screaming for drugs etc. Their faveargument - which makes meLIVID is: "Oh God I'd sooner be s* than go through that pain - you won't care about being s* when you're in labour anyway, you'll just need all the durgs they can give"

Is this true? Why would my Consultant advise me to have a natural birth if the pain is just not bearable?

I'd love some opinions from people who WON'T spout the above mentioned argument (I know emetophobes won't) and if you really think first time birth is not bearable as a waterbirth without pain releif what are the safest options as far as getting rid of the pain but not making me v*?

I've looked into a hiring a doula and sadly they are way too expensive for our budget right now. They are private hire only in my area and charge up to £600 - £800! No way we can afford that.