Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: im such a baby

im going into 10th grade, and stitll can't be far away from mymom.
    i was in new york at my cousins and started to feel nausous. my
    parents were coming into new yorkk also. i called my mom at least
    20 times, sobbing. by the time they got their i rushed over to my
    grandparents hose to be with mmy mom. because i was naeusous.
    how am i ever gonna grow up. i feel like im gonna be living with my
    mom until im 70. this sucks, how am i gonna go to college?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You're not a baby... up until I was probably 16 or 17, I felt extremely homesick if away from home for any amount of time. Seriously. I went to church camp and it was sleep-away camp, and I left after the first day and a half! You are not a baby, you're just not used to being away from home. Just keep trying, and you'll get there. I am now married and have a life of my own (granted, living ten minutes away from my mother, but still) and I am totally happy and fine. Just keep putting yourself in that situation, and you'll be okay. And as for college, when you have to do it, you will do it. Just don't give yourself a choice.
    \"A life without love is no life at all.\"

you're not a baby! i'm 18 and i went away to college for a semester and i came home because i missed my parents so much. i went to a local college for the semester after that and took that time to try and realize that i could be okay without my parents and that i'm capable of so much.i'm going away to college, again, on saturday and i'm not even nervous this time. you just need to tell yourself that you'll be fine and try not to make going back to your mom an option. it's hard but you'll get through it! i know i'll still miss my parents a lot when i'm at school, but i know now that i'm strong enough to deal with it! and so are you!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Yeah I had a time where I thought there is no way I could be away from home. I had only ever lived in one house before I was married, I grew up there, and couldnt imagine how I would cope not living there anymore. Well, believe me you do, and you get used to it and you realize that you can survive and even be happy away from your comfort source. When I first married I moved about 45 min away from the house I grew up in, and I was pretty homesick the first few months, ugh I remember sitting at our little kitchen table eating and I just burst out crying because there were no dogs to give some of the table scraps to (my dad has 2 dogs). But, in time I got used to it, and while its nice at my dads (he lives in the country, I now live more city-ish, more like suburb in an apartment) I feel my home is here, with my husband and my stuff. I actually feel more comfortable here, and Im partly amazed still that I dont miss it all that much being back at my dads.

Beleive me tho it does happen and you do get used to it, but it does take time.

Hey Ruby,

You are SO not a baby! I was exactly the same. I always found school trips etc really hard and I used to get really homesick. I think that a lot of mine was because i related my mum to being safe and felt like i needed to be with her all the time. I kind of grew out of it though and im heading to uni soon, im a bit scared but i know my mum will alays be at the end of the phone if i need her! It just gets easier over time as you get older, I dont think you'll always feel this way.
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Exactly... I find myself feeling a little homesick right now actually, because we are starting a new software at my job and I am nervous, and I feel like driving over to my parents' house right now just to snuggle with my mom! I am 21 years old and very close to my mother, so it is very hard for me to go anywhere and not miss home! Please don't feel like you're a baby! It happens to the best of us :-)
    \"A life without love is no life at all.\"

You're so not a baby. I'm 22 I've lived away from home and at home and I have no issues being away. BUT if I feel the slightest bit sick or anxious the first thing I do is call my mum up and make her make it all better hehe
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Oh, don't worry about it. You're not a baby, it's just the emet.

I've always been very independent, but when I was 18 during the spring of my senior year of high school (3 months before leaving for college) my emet flared up and got really bad. I started feeling so needy. I wanted to be around my parents more than I had in years.

I think it's because emet makes us scared like all the time, so we tend to want to be around the people who we feel safe with like our parents. I've heard married emets on this board talking about feeling anxious about their spouses going out of town, so it's the same idea there.

As I learned to control my anxiety a little bit, I got to the point where I was comfortable being on my own again, so my recommendtation would be focus on not letting the anxiety take over and with time you'll probably feel okay on your own.

Edited by: chicajojobe

I agree with the others, you are DEFINITELY not a baby!

I was just like you until my early twenties! I can honestly say that I wasn't ready to move out until I was 24. I didn't even sleep over anywhere at all until I was 13 so don't worry or feel bad!

happyteacher