Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey I have seen alot of posts about being scared to go to restaurants and yes.. i share this panicking fear too.. BUT i was just wondering.. does anyone have a problem with Movie Theaters like me???

I dunno what it is.. i know i am far away from the bathroom and I have heard of ppl getting sick in theaters and its so dark and sometimes I am scared I will get motion sick or someon will get sick.. its horrible.. i almost need to take a xanax just to go to the movies.. so i usually rent the movies.. or Pay per view.. but my husband drags me out once in a while to the movies and for the first 30 mins i am totally freaking out and nervous.. but then i am ok.. sometimes though I have had to leave.. sucks..

I was just wondering if i was the only one or not..

\"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I like going to the movies, but when there is little kids sitting around me I usually get up and move, otherwise my attention is constantly on them, I am always looking for to see if they look sick from eating to much junk food. But otherwise I enjoy going to the movies, in fact we were just there on Monday night and saw Talledega Nights, it was really funny!!

Oh no I am right there with you girl!! I feel the same way. I can't go see a movie right after I eat either. Like some people go have dinner and a movie, not me! I know how you feel!Not to mention we have these movie theaters here where I live, and they serve you dinner and drinks, and my fiance' got food posioning so bad a few weeks ago from eating a chicken sandwich.

I LOVE the movie theatre....to the point that after seeing one, we will usually sneak into another, lol. But, I do prefer to sit on the side, where I can get the wall seat and someone can sit next to me. I'm not that down with sitting next to a stranger for two and a half hours- less because of emet, more because if they are eating, the sound of them eating will really bother me- yet it bothers me less when it's someone I know- weird.

I'm not that down with IMAX though.....because it does make me motionsick, especially the movies about space. The last time, I had to close my eyes and put my head on my lap, it made me so dizzy. Yet, all the little kids in the theatre were fine, go fig.

Oh! WE also discovered an old school drive in about a half hour from where we live....next week we are going to see "Snakes On a Plane" followed by "Clerks 2" (the 3rd time for me).

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Here I thought I was the only
    one who was scared of the movie theatre!! I've had some of the
    worst panic attacks there.

I think the darkness makes me a bit claustrophic, and then I start
    thinking about how far it is to the bathroom and how if I have to go
    I'll have to crawl over other people...and I might not be fast enough
    to get to the bathroom in time...I can work myself up into a real good
    state of panic and nausea thinking about this.

What helps for me is going during off hours, like during a weekday where there's less people, and sitting by the door.

Yes I know exactly what you're talking about! I am not afraid necessarily, because I looove going to the movies, but there was one time that a little kid was sitting behind me and he threw up and I heard it... it was years ago but it still sticks in my mind! I just get very wary about people who I think look as if they're going to be sick! hehe... but yeah. I totally know where you're coming from.
    \"A life without love is no life at all.\"

I don't mind movie theaters. I don't go too much, because I have two small children, but anyway... The only thing that bothers me is being crowded in with a bunch of people. I prefer to go to less crowded showings, or sit in the aisle.

I know exactly what you're saying, kristin1980. I hate movie theaters and my friends want to go but I hate them. I get so nervous in the dark and my stomach gets upset and I start shaking. Also when a boyfriend or someone wants to go to the movies I'm always like "naaahh" and they never understand. It's embarassing to say that you're scared to go. But I feel exactly the same way, and I like to sit on the end if I do go to the movies.

Rachel

Hey i too am not keen on the cinema. I once had a bad emet experience there and have never been able to forget it. However my love of films often takes over and i spend more time getting nerdily excited over the films instead lol. I always try and go a few days after films come out and then the cinema isnt so crowded. I used to not be able to eat there either but i can now, i just make sure i takea bottle of water and my motilium with me.
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I get nervous in theaters too. My husband is a Marvel FANATIC so we HAVE to go the day all the movies come out. (Fantastic Four, X-men, Spiderman,Etc) Those days the theater is packed but we still go. I just don't eat anything and we sit as close to the exit as possible on the end of the aisle. Hewould rather sit at the top in the middle so maybe next time I'll try it. I will wait for the movies I want to see on dvd. I'm waiting for "The Breakup" to come out.That's one I almost went to see. It works out pretty good for him because I don't drag him to movies he really won't like anyway.

I used to get really nervous about going to the theater but it has gotten
    better for me. The only thing is that i need to sit near the back in case i
    need to make a quick exit. I don't feel comfortable being in the front
    row of anything. Fortunalty my friends don't mind. I also have to sit in
    the aisle seat, but that goes with the quick exit sort of thing. Otherwise I
    don't really care about the people around me or the noise. I don't like
    seeing a movie like...if the characters are in a car or flying through the
    air or something...but i can deal with it pretty easily...
    ~viva~

Isn't that weird... I can't eat in a restaurant but i always have popcorn and a slurpie at the movies and don't feel anxious about it. I'm not relaxed at the movies though cos it's full of strangers that i can't trust not to v* in front of me. And i'm always on edge just waiting for it to happen. It's unfortunate that all these superhero movies have been coming out cos my bfs a fanatic and always wants to drag me along [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]Itry to convincehim to go with his mates instead but he really wants me to get as excited about it as him and i don't have the heart to let him down lol

wow its good to hear im not alone in this one.. i mean i LOVE movies dont get me wrong and yes i do better when its an off day and not so crowded and i like to sit in the aisle.. and i totally panic in the first 30 mins.. i cant eat before hand.. so most the time we do Movie and Dinner in that order.. my poor husband.. he has had to adjust to alot of new things.. *sigh* oh well. good to know im not alone
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

i also have a really hard time with movie theaters. i won't go to like... big
    movies the night they open, i always wait until just before they are about to
    be out of the theater so there won't be a lot of people there. if i do go to a
    crowded movie i have to get there really early because there's only one place
    i'll sit when the theater is crowded, and that's on the end towards the front
    in the back row of the front section so there's no one behind me.

wow... joining this site's been great because for the first time ever i see that
    there are people like me and i'm not a total freak. thanks ya'll.

I used to be scared in movie theatres too, even though I've never ever seen anyone sick in a theatre. But I loved the movies so much I could never stay away. The vomit scenes in movies almost did me in, but this was what prompted me to get help 5 years ago - cuz I didn't want my life to be compromised so much I couldn't go to movies! Anyway, now that I'm "cured" I still like the very back row, or no one behind me and if I can't sit there I won't put my purse on the floor in case someone barfs and it rolls down (sorry to be gross) and gets on my purse. How stupid is that?? Once the movie starts I never think of it ever, but I still have this "thing" about sitting in the last row and my purse - lol!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

ack i had never thought about the purse thing sage! lol..wow good thing i like to sit in the very back next to the aisle!

I get so nervous before going to the theater but i dont avoid it .. it just takes about 20 mins or so to calm down some.

I just went and saw Telladega nights a couple days ago! funny and stupid movie but just what i needed! hehe

I have not gone to the movies in years...I can't even remember what I saw I think it was Titanic or something,,,I just can't bring myself to go in..I start feeling sick and panicky..ugh...maybe one day I can enjoy the theatre..for now I just wait to the movies come out on DVD..lol

I hate movie theaters. I settle down after a little while, but I always think about this one time that I came down with a bout of d* once when I went to one and had to get up a million times and finally made my boyfriend take me home.

I've never had an emet issue with going to the cinema. I love it so much. I can't imagine being afraid of it. I always feel in control b/c if something happened or I had to leave it'd be just fine. I guess I get a lil anxious about it sometimes but my sister and I were brought up going to see movies for £1 at the Saturday morning club. It's one of my favourite things to do. I'm not saying I don't understand the emet thing but I guess I'm glad it's never affected my love of films lol

I don't like it if the cinema is too busy though, it does make me a little anxious and I find I can't focus on the film, but my sister and I usually go when it's pretty empty, we sit at the back with our popcorn and kick off our shoes and have a good time lol

Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.