Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi

I had an awful night last night when i was watching the x-factor on tv and an advery for Nike came on and its clips of loads of athletes and their bad expereinces or tough ones etc and there is a clip (a really really graphic clip) or someone being sick in slow motion running (thank god i dont have a huge tv screen) but i ran upstiars after seeing it and had a major panic attack in the bathroom. So bad i gave myself a head ache!! Just wondering if anyone else is annoyed by Nike and this? It was only 7PM! There are no warnings and it's assumed that these things don't bother people or even consider those with emetophobia. I knwo that some people don't mid it on tv or when it's other people but it really bothered me.

Anyways, would be great to hear any comments about this.

Katie

P.S - I'm from UK so prolly not shown in US, tho let me know if it has been.

Urgh i am so glad i didn't see that. I totally agree about that though, it should have been screened after the watershed at least, it sounds very graphic for a family programme. I think it's annoying that if it had been blood or something they probably wouldnt have been allowed to show it at all. Thanks for the warning though, I will definetly try and avoid it.
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think its discusting not only for us emets because we are so frightened but for being who arnt afraid who wants to see that!!!! i am sure they willhave complaints its discusting

michelle xxx

Yes!! I saw that!!! And it was totally graphic and disgusting!!!! I'm sure even a non-emet wouldhave found itgross. It was on at a time when a lot of people would still be eating. I had the shakes for ages afterwards. I'll be running for cover next time I see THAT one coming!

I haven't seen this ad, but I do remember a while back Nike had a print ad of someone v* after running. It was in magazines and I remember looking at it and having a major panic attack. If I remember correctly, Nike got in big trouble for that because a lot of people complained about how grahic it was and that it was just distasteful. I'm surprised they did it again. Who wants to see soemone else v*? How does that sell shoes? I just don't get it . . .

I haven't seen the commercial either, but I do remember the print ad. I
    actually cut it out of the magazine and taped it on my bedroom door. I
    was a teenager then and thought it might help desensitize me.

that's just gross. very distasteful. it should at least provide a graphic warning. I dont think alot of things on Tv should be censored, and maybe I'm biased ( being emet) but I think that it's just plain nasty.

I could compare it it to Diarreaha - gross bodily function, but Im not scared of it - yet I still would be grossed out If I saw it in detail on TV.

but, you ask, how does it sell shoes? companies go for something that will be talked about - just as we are doing right now.

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Exactly - what has v*ing got to do withtraining shoes! Bizarre ad and I'm glad I haven't seen it, but I guess it will pop up and surprise me when I'm unawares [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Athletes sometimes get something called runners' trots which can cause diarrhoea, but would they show that? - Absolutely not, so why show the other end emitting icky stuff?
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

v* is a bodily fluid. Why should we be subjected to see v* ? If an ad came on showing, in detail, someone taking a s***, i think the whole country would be in uproar and quite rightly so! For some reason it seems ok to advertise people v* To all those in the advertising industry - SHOWING PEOPLE V* DOES NOT SELL YOUR PRODUCT. IT DOES NOTHING FOR YOUR CREDABILITY WHATSOEVER!

They never show someone pee in a toilet. why must they show someone "v". I hate that and give me pannic attacks also.

that is so weird...why would that even work to sell a shoe...and i dont
    think anyone really likes to see someone v* my boyfriend just
    experienced that the other day his friend got fp and my boyfriend saw
    and he ran away so he could see or hear it...and hes a nonemet! totally
    gross...thats weird
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

whoa.. i didnt see it.. kind of glad that i didnt! that is awful!
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Well, urinating and defecating are definitely different from vomitting- genitalia are a very still very "taboo" in western society, and since other bodily functions which excrete fluid often revolve around those areas, of course they will not be shown in the media. If we crapped out of our mouths, it would likely be shown. That, and it's not all that strange to see someone vomit in public, whether it is at the side of the road, in a parking lot, at a sporting event, outside of a bar, etc. When was the last time you saw someone squat and take a dump on the side of the road?

The show blood on tv often, another bodily fluid, and I'm sure that there are people who are afraid or become anxious at the site of blood.

I think that wehave to admit to ourselves that the reason whywe have a major problem with this isn't because it is offensive in general, but because of our emet. This definitely taints your perspective- no matter how hard you try to be "objective". If you didn't fear it, at the worst you would think it was gross, but you wouldn't be greatly offended by it.

AS for how vomitting related to selling running shoes- has anyone here ever been to a marathon? My boyfriend does first aid at them often, and I can tell you that a lot of the participants vomit- either due to the temperature and being overheated, dehydration, or over-exertion. I can see an add campaign which uses this as part of the "work hard, train hard, whatever it takes" type of ideology. Do I find it particularly tasteful? No, but who am I to say how Nike decides to advertise their shoes? I wouldn't wear them anyway, due to their horrible human rights reputation.

Do I like to see vomit in the media? Hells no, it usually makesme nauseous and I often look away. And I'm sorry that pictures like this make you guys anxious. However, I don't think the company is at fault, I think it is how we think.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

Hello Everyone,

I don't come around here much anymore. Life outside the internet has placed some compelling demands upon me lately.

But I dropped by to see if the forum was still o.k. and all of that. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

When I did come around here, this topic used to surface every so often, usually when another graphic vomit scene appeared in the media.

Vomit is offensive to us. It's not offensive to the general public, and I believe that to be an indisputable fact. It's just not. It may be gross to some, but it's clearly not offensive. Railing against the media for showing these scenes (or expecting a rated "R" warning or something) is expecting the rest of the people in the world to havethis phobia as well. It's just not realistic. We are the ones that need to change, not the Nike advertisement.

And most of what is offensive to the general public in the U.S. is sex, though of course that doesn't prevent it from being everywhere in the media. However, it does mean that some people will complain about sexually explicit material,i.e. Janet Jackson's Superbowl wardrobe malfunction of several years ago. If Janet had had fake vomit down the front of her shirt during her performance, theviewers who were wont to complain about media shenanigans might have wondered about the distastefulness, but I doubt it would have garnered the nonstop media attention itdid.

Bodily functions just don't arouse the ire of the general public. They fill the airwaves in commercials for medicines andtoilet paper and feminine hygiene products.

Sure they are presented more subtly than showing someone's waste products in the toilet bowl, butthe difference is, as has been pointed out, urination and defecation are construed as private acts. One goes into the bathroom anddoes them alone. The general population knows that sicknesscan happen in public places whetherit be vomit,cold and flu symptoms and so on. We can't always control when and where we get sick, andpeople recognize this.

The short point is thatthe rest of the world doesn't need to see it our way; we needeventually to see it their way. If not, we continue to suffer for the rest ofour lives.We can get our friends and family to understand andsupport us while we make strides awayfrom our phobia, but we should not want to convert the rest of the world.

Or I probably could have saved myself all this typing andwrite, "I firmly agree withwhat crimgoddess said."

I was watching TV last night with a group of friends and saw the add you are all talking about. Normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me, but that particular piece of film showing the guy v* while running is pretty bad. My friends thought it was disgusting and none of them are emets!

Next time it comes on, I'll switch channels. M x

Ugh I have seen it, and I totally freaked out! My husband just thought it was disgusting and totally inappropriate for the ad, but I was freaking out. How awful... like a lot of you said, even if you aren't emet, that's still gross and should not be shown on tv, especially as graphic as it is! Ick ick ick... just thinking about it makes me sweat! Glad I'm not the only one that was bothered by it!
    \"A life without love is no life at all.\"

I think that v* is sort of along the lines of a private bodily function. I don't think I know a non-emet person that thinks of it as just another fluid coming out of the body. I personally am not real freaked out seeing it on tv, but to me, its just tacky. Seeing a commercial is also different to me than seeing a program on tv. You may avoid programs like ER because there are sure going to be all sorts of bodily functions and fluids coming out. But if you choose a program that is relatively"safe", and I know there is no such thing, but in between you get a commercial like that, I think its a little unfair. I also think overly sexual commercials are tacky, and would be offended if I was watching something like Forensic Files and then had one pop up. I'm not making a whole lot of sense, but you know what I mean? I think its ok to vent here about ads we see and things we see that make us nervous, and I agree that we really have to adjust to the world as it is, because it won't adjust to us. But, I still think its just tacky. It makes me NOT want to buy shoes and go running because by God, I don't wanna puke![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Janna

Is this the magazine thing you were talking about? (Scroll down)

http://www.commarts.com/ca/interacti...ai97/nike.html

I still don't think its right to show ads with v*. Yes, i know it happens and yes i know we have a problem. BUT, most of my friends and family think its gross to see v* on tv for example adverts. Like Janna said, if you are watching an ER programme its gonna happen at some point, but an advert?

Anyhow we are all entitled to our opinions but i think you'll find most of the population of the world thinks seeing v* in unplaced tv ads in pretty gross! - remember the kentucky and the domestos ads?

I watch alot of shows on Discovery Health that show injuries and surgeries with blood, bodily fluids or even babies being born that might be gross to some people. Those shows have a little message at the start of each commercial break to warn viewers thatsay viewer discretion is advised. Should barfing be in the same catagory?

I have to say, blood doesn't bother me, but I know people who will pass out at the sight of it.

My husband can't clean up dog doo if our dog has an accident. He will practically hurl.

Since Discovery Health stuff, potty, doo-doo, snot, etc. isn't usually something the general public sees or wants to seein any typical regular setting (unless they have a strange fetish) I guess I think that stuff should be TMI.

I have to say I'm with Amber and Japa on this one. I know a woman who's
    scared of clowns, but she certainly doesn't expect any special
    treatment (ie not having clowns in commercials) because of it......and
    I think there's alot of people who find many commercials "gross". Take
    the ones about nail fungus, for example. I don't particularly enjoy
    looking at nasty, crusty toes, but to me it's certainly not tacky
    or inappropriate. It's part of life.

I really think our emet can cloud our judgement on things like this. If
    so many non-emets really found this so bad then there wouldn't be as
    much v* humor on televison.

I dont' like watching it on tv or hearing about it either, but I know I
    can't avoid it so I look at it as a way for me to grow and become that
    much closer to beating this thing.

I am so glad i didn't see that, and will run out the room if i see any sort of Nike ad come on.

It really annoys me that companies think it is normal to show people v*.

My husband and i were watching Hollyoaks the other night (US probably don't have this) and Dom v*. It is shown at tea time when people are eating their dinner and is totally inappropriate (i think). Even my husband grimmaced and it doesn't normally bother him.

I remember watcing the London marathon last year while doing my ironing. These top athlete's were v* as they were running and it was gross - i have to say, i haven't been able to watch it since.

Will this last forever????

That damned advert popped up last night during the break to my fave programme Lost. Fortunately I cottoned on at the start and thought it must be the Nike advert people were talking about here, so hid my face behind a book! My fiance said it is really graphic, and even he, who isn't in the slightest bit bothered by vomit, can't understand whythe sceneis needed in an advert like this.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

yep, ive seen it....and im thinking of complaining bcos i think its totally unnecisary!

The whole Nike advert seems is something to do with "hurting during sport" (Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is playing in the background) and how the nike shoes can supposedly make the "hurt" lessen.

I was actually gonna write about this ad when I saw it (I didn't panic, just sorta thought "urgh, wtf") but then found it had already been written about, haha.

hi

i have seen this ad a few times i think it is completly innappropriate and even for non emets absoloutley disgusting if i chose to watch holbycity, er or programs similar i would at least know that i was taking that risk but the x factor myu kids even thought it was revolting and they do not think that much is scary

lyndsayanne

Well, tonight i saw THE advert. It was gross and graphic and totally uncalled for. I was glad my kids weren't watching tv at that time. There's no need for it. My hubby saw it and said it was disgusting. He's not emet.

I saw the advert an it freaked me out but also my family were in the room at the same time an they thought it was DISGUSTING an my mom totally lost interest in her dinner. so no its not just us emets who find it grose.

....but there is a difference between finding it gross, and being completely offended enough to think it deserves a warning. Non- emets may find it gross, but I doubt they will get their panties in a bunch over it.

*amber*

I am so glad that i have warned so many people about this advert and it has made me feel so much better because i thought it was just me being over sensitive. Thank you so much for all your support, it's been overwhelming to have so many replies. I found that because it was 'REAL' made it worse, it's not half as bad when its fake, like in movies or cartoons etc. I'd just like to say to crimgoddess and whoever else who said that it's because we have emets and it doesnt bother most people, as you can read above there have been many people who have said they saw the advert with someone who was a non emet and they also found there was no need for it at all and it was gross and the time of day wa inappropriate. However, everyones opinion is there own and thats what this sites all about so thanks to everyone who has commented, i hope something will be done about this. I complained to the ASA -(advert standards assosiation) who said they'd look into it, but perhaps if more people expressed concern in it it might be dealt with better?

Katie