Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OT: work

Ok....So I've been having quite the time since I got back. For those of you who knew I moved away for 6 months and came back just recently. Before I left I had been working at this restaurant for 2 1/2 years. And when I came back I didn't really want to go back to that job. But I reluctantly did. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]And things didn't work out right. I wasn't very happy there before I left and when I got back I thought things may have changed, but they didn't. So my boss was making me feel stupid, I was getting slammed with tables, no one was really helping me out. I asked for 3 shifts and I got schedualed 7 shifts. And when I brought this up with my manager she didn't do anything. So I got really upset. I was nearly in tears with all of this stuff. And they weren't going to let me work 'cause of my nosering!!!

So...I went home saturday night, almost in tears, I cried to my mom when I got home 'cause I was so unhappy there. I had only been there for 3 days!!! And every shift I came home upset. So when I got home, I called my boss and told her it wasn't working out. I got all emotional and such. But I wasn't happy. I don't think my boss was expecting it! It has changed over the years.

So anywho, point is...should I feel bad? I do. I'm such a people pleaser.

I'm worrying about who's going to work my 7 shifts....ect ect. I just want this over. I called my boss today and talked to her about my paycheck and I have to go in to get it thursday, I'm just kinda sad it had to end this way!!!

I've been in the serving industry WAY too long. I needed to get out. But now I have no job and don't know what to do.

So should I feel bad about this?! Anyone have any stories or opinions?

First rule is you have to take care of yourself, because no one else is going to do it. You tried to tell them your needs with your job, and if they couldn't fill all the shifts with what you wanted, they should have told you that it wasn't going to work out. Managers push people around way too much, and you know what? They do it to the ones who won't make a fuss. I'm so tired of getting screwed that I've reached a point where I know that I just need to make my feelings known.... life's way too short to be unhappy or be someone's door mat. I have one personal example from college: I had a summer job with an engineering company and I was supposed to help this one engineer with road construction projects and such. This guy was a total asshole. He would swear at me, he'd show up late, he'd give me things that were his job and then get mad and swear at me when I did them wrong, the whole gammut. Finally I couldn't take anymore of the cursing at me and I quit on the spot, gave them like a day notice. I didn't have a job the rest of the summer, but I was happy!! I didn't have to put up with that crap anymore, and no money in the world is worth getting treated like s***. That said, I don't think you should feel bad about it. If they can't accept you because you have a friggen nose ring, then whatever.... I know what you mean about being in the service industry way too long. What is it that you'd like to do if given a choice? Start to look for those sorts of opportunities. Take something part time with great hours so you can enjoy your summer! Good for you for sticking up for yourself!!!

you can't have a job that makes you feel the way you do. If your not happy, the customer won't be happy, and it will show in the companys profits, so if you look at it that way, your just giving them a chance for someone who can handle the 7 days on without as much stress.

I myself, couldn't work 7 days a week at a resturant.My god. screaming kids, smelly dishes to wash, bathrooms to clean, yuck. not to mention how hard it would be on your feet. I did fast food for a year ( tim hortons) and I will NEVER do it again. I just couldn't handle it.

I too, am a people pleaser and I feel your pain. Its hard to make others happy when your miserable. I found I'm much better suited in sales and helping people find things that suit them so I have had a few jobs in retail and I love it.maybe you could look into that? its very satifying when you help a customer with no clue find exaclty what they want.

besides I think your boss was asking alot. you JUST started and she's throwing you right out there, with 7 shifts to boot. No wonder your having a hard time.Your obviously not happy and you need to find something else! Don't feel bad, not all jobs work out. you'll find something that suits you much better.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh