Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT : the swan

has anyone seen this show? ITS SO horrible!!!!! I watched it last night because i couldnt actually belive it was a real TV, i thought someone was pulling my leg.

basically, its a beauty pagent. doesnt sound so horrible huh? its gets worse. they choose like 50 unattractive women called "ugly duckings" and put them through extensive plastic surgery,put them in an exersize program, emotional therapy, and so on all to become beautiful, aka, "the swan". they are not allowed to have any outside contact and have no acess to mirrors untill they;ve totally transformed themsleves.

I think its such a load of bulls***. sorry. It got me so upset. the people who made this show are very sick individuals. I feel so sorry for the girls that are being put through this? can you imagine going three months without seeing yourself and then boom, your a completely different looking person? *shudders* i don't think its right. I still can't belive they are doing this.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Quote Originally Posted by Babydoll

has anyone seen this show? ITS SO horrible!!!!! I watched it last night because i couldnt actually belive it was a real TV, i thought someone was pulling my leg.

basically, its a beauty pagent. doesnt sound so horrible huh? its gets worse. they choose like 50 unattractive women called "ugly duckings" and put them through extensive plastic surgery,put them in an exersize program, emotional therapy, and so on all to become beautiful, aka, "the swan". they are not allowed to have any outside contact and have no acess to mirrors untill they;ve totally transformed themsleves.

I think its such a load of bulls***. sorry. It got me so upset. the people who made this show are very sick individuals. I feel so sorry for the girls that are being put through this? can you imagine going three months without seeing yourself and then boom, your a completely different looking person? *shudders* i don't think its right. I still can't belive they are doing this.

Hey Babydoll,

I know!!! I didn't think itis that great of an idea either!! But, that's just me... I feel bad that they call the girls "ugly ducklings" and all that and basically treat them like they have to change themselves in order to be accepted in society. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] I mean, if they want to change then by all means, I say go for it, but it doesn't do very well for otherwomen and their own body image, does it?? It kind of sends a skewed message out there. I knew from the previews that I wouldn't like that show. I actually turned my head when they came on because Iwasworried they would show some scenes from the surgery room...you never know!I also couldn't believe they were calling them "ugly ducklings!" Not right I tell you!![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

By the way, isn't this kind of like Extreme Makeover minus the beauty pagent!!?? Why do they always repeat themselves?

It's a shame what TV is coming to...[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]It kind of makes you wonder what's next, huh? I'm not going to lie though. I do watch SOME reality TV shows...but I stay away from "The Swan" type shows. What ever happened to the old-fashioned make overs that just involved things like a change of clothes, or hairstyle,and make-up?Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EXACTLY!!! girls these days already have such a twisted view on body image now that this is going to really screw things up for them. this is wrong in so many ethical, morally ways.

sigh. the sick truth is that the TV programmers will do ANYTHING for ratings.

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Quote Originally Posted by Babydoll

EXACTLY!!! girls these days already have such a twisted view on body image now that this is going to really screw things up for them. this is wrong in so many ethical, morally ways.

sigh. the sick truth is that the TV programmers will do ANYTHING for ratings.

I agree with you...It's very sad what a network will do for ratings.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What a load of crap! i saw a little bit of that show because like you I had to see it to believe that the networks actually stupped that low! it's disgusting and a really horrible influence on the younger girls watching trying to figure out what's wrong w/ them. By the standards of these types of shows (also like "i want a famous face") EVERYONE would need plastic surgery! Good grief! It's so incredibly sad that this society bases so much on implants and nose jobs. What ever happened to just accepting yourself the way you are! Sorry I'm ranting now. Last thing and then I will shut up, I love it when Dr.Phil tells the people they can fix the outside but the problems they have from within wills till be there and I thinkt hat's what these shows glamorize that "oh fix your looks and life is grand" no it's not if it sucked before it will still suck until you do somthing about it! SHEESH![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree!!!

"Fix your looks and everything will be grand"!! [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Maybe for a few hours, but it won't heal you altogether!! Sure looking good can make you feel great, but it's not the answer to all your problems!! If only it were that easy!

And with all that women, andsome men toogo through these dayswith hating their body, it seems like this show is kind of saying: "If you hate your body, we can turn you into a swan, and your life will change forever!" What kind of message does that send to younger audiences? That they have to get something done to be beautiful and that will suddenlymake everything "okay"? That's a shame!

Is there really a show called "I want a famous face?" [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]Geesh!! That's just what we need!!! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Yep there is actually a show called "I want a famous face" it's on MTV. And it's ridiculous. In MTV's defense however, these people are getting the surgery reguardless, they just follow them around, still putting it on tv is pretty dumb if you ask me. Also the people so far NEVER look like the people they want to look like and most of them are already pretty so they put themselves thru allt hat for what?
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

OK..now..i agreethat the reality shows are pushing it..

but from what I read it appears that most of you are against plastic surgery? If im wrong i apologize...

I am for it..when people are doing it for the "right reasons" I mean..if a girl wants bigger boobs to attract guys...or help he chance at posing for Play Boy...I dont think thats really right (though it is the girls choice not mine)

But what if a girl has had small breasts all of her life and she hates the way she looks with them? She may feel incomplete and shy..if she wanted to bet breast implants to boost her self-esteem and make her feel better about herself..give herself more confidence..i really dont see anything wrong with that do you?

Or what if someone has lost a ton of weight and has saggy skin and they want it removed...i dont seen anything wrong with that.

basically..if a person is just trying to make themselves look better to others..i think its wrong..but if a person has struggled throughought their life..dealing with hating their body and they have the chance to have a surgery that in their eyes would make them beautiful..that would give themselves more confidence ...and allow them to look in the mirror and smil instead of cry..i dont see whats wrong with that.

Sure the Swan uses those women for ratings..and that is sad...but did you see those women? They finally felt beautiful for the first time in their lives...i think they went about getting those results in the wrong way (ie the way the show does things)...but look how happy they were...they can now look in the mirror and be happy with what they see.
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

wow. Its amazing what reality tv prgrammes people are coming up with now!! That is really stupid! But I guess the people who are the strange ones are the ones that are actually taking part. I think its really cruel takeing unattractive people that are vunerable anyway and making them think they are going to look amazing if they do this show casue they probably wont in the end! They'l just hide them under layers of make up!! We have some pretty stupid reality tv shows in engaldn but have neevr had anything like that. I wonder if they'l show it over here??

Okay, do you all agree with me here?

Reality Shows Must Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No..i dont agree..LOL

I love survivor and big brother..and I can occassionaly get suckered into one of thsoe joe-millionaire things...

I dont care for the ones like average joe...and the aforementioned The Swan though..becuase they feed off peoples imprefections and thats not cool.
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

i couldn't believe the previews for that show! ugh! i didn't watch. i didn't want to give them the ratings they needed. i mean come on, i can understand a women who gets breast reduction because she's having trouble with her breasts because they make her back & shoulders hurt. now that's understandible, but to take girls that already have low self -esteem & put them through that, is just going to far. what if they get voted off in the beauty pagent, then what? are they going to go back to thinking they are ugly? did the producers think of that no!
    ♥Stephanie

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

I'm not necessarily against plastic surgery if like you said, Kmarie, it's for the right reasons. I dont' think these shows are for people who want it done for the right reasons. I do think in the end since there is only one swan it may be destructive tot he already fragile self esteems of these girls like stephanie said. I watched a few minutes of it and that was enough. since I have no control over what is aired I can control what i watch and it won't be that lol.
    Benjamin Franklin

I just wanted to say that Kmarie, you make a very good point. If someone is doing it for the right reasons then, I'm all for it!! Although the right reasons may differ from person to person.I just don't know if putting it on TVisthe best idea...that's all. I'm NOT against plastic surgery! It can actually be a very positive thing for some people like you mentioned. I in fact have big nasty scars from surgery that I would very much like removed, and may someday have to get plastic surgery to remove them. (I'm not sure which way I want to do this there is another way as well.)

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite by the way guys...[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I don't mean to come off that way! I just don't like the idea of putting something like that on television. And I don't want people thinking that they HAVE to change themselves and that it will fix all their problems.

Again, I don't mean to sound hypocritcal!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCsmile6

I just wanted to say that Kmarie, you make a very good point. If someone is doing it for the right reasons then, I'm all for it!! Although the right reasons may differ from person to person.I just don't know if putting it on TVisthe best idea...that's all. I'm NOT against plastic surgery! It can actually be a very positive thing for some people like you mentioned. I in fact have big nasty scars from surgery that I would very much like removed, and may someday have to get plastic surgery to remove them. (I'm not sure which way I want to do this there is another way as well.)

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite by the way guys...[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I don't mean to come off that way! I just don't like the idea of putting something like that on television. And I don't want people thinking that they HAVE to change themselves and that it will fix all their problems.

Again, I don't mean to sound hypocritcal!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

oh neha, you don't sound hypocritical. if the only way that you could afford forthe plasticsurgery you wantis to go on tv then we will all understand. right everybody?
    ♥Stephanie

Oh!! I would NEVER go on TV and be a "swan"!! SOOOOO NOT FOR ME!!! LOL!! Even though I am an "ugly duckling",NO!!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I was just worried if I sounded hypocritical from what I first said. I didn't want you guys to think I was shady or something....[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img](Yes, I am paranoid.) I just wanted to point out that Kmarie made a good point and I was agreeing with what she said, that if you do it for the right reasons then go for it!

I was just saying that in my future I MAY have to consider plastic surgery for removing my scars from surgery. There are other ways to do so to. There is a laser technique that I am looking into...But going on TV....that's not what I meant...sorry if I confused anyone!!![img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

neha, you are not ugly! i saw your pics in the emet photo album. i still get e-mail everytime somebody posts a new pic. can somebody make a post so we can find it. thanks if one hasn't already been made.

♥Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by stephiewephie05

neha, you are not ugly! i saw your pics in the emet photo album. i still get e-mail everytime somebody posts a new pic. can somebody make a post so we can find it. thanks if one hasn't already been made.

Thank You Stephanie!!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]You are too nice! I thinkIzzy made a link to the site in the General Discussion Forums...I saw it earlier...
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephiewephie05

Thank You Stephanie!!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]You are too nice! I thinkIzzy made a link to the site in the General Discussion Forums...I saw it earlier...

your welcome! now your making me blush [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]lol. anyway thanks i'll check to see. when i get on my home computer i need to put my pic in there, but be warned it's very old. it's 3 years old, it was 2 months before i v*ed !
    ♥Stephanie

Gotta agree w/ Stephanie here, Neha you are NOT ugly! You couldnt' be ugly if you tried lol.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ooohhh, I can't stand that there are so many of those kinds of shows on!!! They totally exploit people!!!! I mean there's a use for it, but sometimes it goes overboard. Speaking of I Want a Famous Face, there was a Real Life show on MTV about a year ago, and it was about 3 or so people who wanted plastic surgery because they thought it would make them happier. There was a pair of girls who couldn't be older than like 20 who wanted boob jobs and lipo (and they were so thin already, but they wanted to be able to see daylight between their thighs) but the one thing I thought was absolutely ridiculous, was this guy on there wanted shin implants. He thought he had the perfect body, except for his shins were too small. HIS SHINS!!!! This guy was sooooo full of himself, it was disgusting. I just have a hard time thinking there's any substance behind people like that.

And Neha, I just looked at the photo album and I have to say, you're very very pretty. I wish you felt differently about yourself. And your puppy - - OH MY GOSH I could just eat him up!!! He's adorable!!!!!!!!!!! That face!!! [img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img]

Good God!!! Thank you guys!!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]You should see me right now, I'm practically bawling here!! You guys are too sweet!!

Thank you!! I have to say though Jessie looks a lot different now. That picture was taken when he was less than a year old. He's a big boy now, and looks quite different..lol...But he's still adorable!!!

Jo,

SHIN IMPLANTS??? [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]I don't get that!!!

*~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

i wish they would do away with some of the reality shows like fear factor (gross) & the swan!
    ♥Stephanie

Yes! Fear Factor is AWFUL!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I cannot watch people eat nasty things like that!!! I just can't do it! And one woman at work said that she and her family sit down together and watch it, like it's a family time thing! EEEWWWWWWWW!!!

Yes! Fear Factor is AWFUL!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

it's so gross! i hate it!
    ♥Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by 2jo2
    I cannot watch people eat nasty things like that!!! I just can't do it! And one woman at work said that she and her family sit down together and watch it, like it's a family time thing! EEEWWWWWWWW!!!

A FAMILY THING???[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]WOW!!

I hate when they show previews of the upcoming 'Fear Factors' during other NBC shows. For instance, I can't get through an episode of 'Friends' or 'American Dreams' without a 'Fear Factor' preview, and in almost EVERY preview they show someonejustmiliseconds before they are sick, and they have to put the sounds and expressions in there too...[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]Not everyone wants to see that!!! [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I think I saw that Real Life episode! Ironically enough tonight on the news they had a girl whose 16 and her parents bought her a nose job, a boob job and chin implant before she started senior year! What the @*#&?!?!?!?!?
    Benjamin Franklin

Well I don't know, but where I'm from there's not a whole lot of plastic surgery, so I just find the whole thing different. It just seems to be that people younger and younger are doing it! What about waiting til you're in your 20s and let your body finish growing!!!!!!

And about Fear Factor commercials, that is so nasty, the sounds are enough to make me gag myself. Oh, I just shudder thinking about it. My husband warned me tonight that a woman he works with was talking about one of the latest episodes of the Inferno on MTV and how there's a whole episode about v*ing. I think someone had mentioned that on the old board before it was changed over. It seems like you can't sit thru a show without a commercial of someone about to barf. After my husband told me that, I asked him if it would bother him to watch stuff like that, and he said that it wouldn't bother him like it does me, but that he doesn't enjoy it, he'd flip the channel. So who exactly is it that MTV, NBC, etc. are trying to satisfy by showing all these people v*ing on tv??? Eww... I'm getting a stomach ache just writing about this!!! [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img]

well, i believe that a young girl can have a breast reduction surgery or what neha was saying a laser surgery to remove scars. cuz believe me big boobs are no fun.
    ♥Stephanie