Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Stupid Driving

Just came on for a little totally off-topic vent. I just went out for some driving practice with my mum and it went a little bit disasterously. I wanted to do some practise on my manouvers, mainly reversing round corners. I tried again and again to do it and i just can't. It's so frustrating and my mum was no help at all, my dad wont even come in the car with me. Ive had like 25 lessons and i can do the driving bit but i just feel like im never going to get the hang of reversing round bloody corners!! Its £20 per lesson and i feel really bad because my mum and dad are paying. Then when i came in my mum and dad ended up arguing about it while i cried in my room like an idiot.

Aaaaaarrrgghhh! This is so stupid but i really wanted to learn before i left for uni. Well vent over, i feel a bit better now. Iv got another lesson tomoro so hopefully it will go better and i won't have a total meltdown in front of my driving instructor!
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im learning to drive at the moment and im finding it very frustrating too. I've had about 25 lessons too and now im getting bored. I really want to be able to drive on my own - but I havent been allowed to book my test yet. meh. Im ok with the left reverse but find the parallel park the worst. I always get too close to the kerb and hit it or I park in the middle of the road. Grrrrrr. Dont worry you'll pass eventually and then you wont ever have to do a left reverse again if you dont want to!

Hey, awww im sorry about this, just keep at it!! i mean i havn't personally tried to drive myself (wouldn't be the greatest idea lol). Really keep at it and im sure you will pass, good luck[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img].

Ruth x
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks izzy and ruth! Izzy, parallel parks are my second worst, but i much prefer those to reversing round corners lol! I am totally going to refuse to do reversing round corners ever after my test!! I know i will get there in the end, it's just the getting there bit that's frustrating!!
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm

Haha, that was the worst part of my driving test....17 years ago! And, I have never had to do it since!

Good luck!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Katy- I feel your pain. I am 25 now, and just getting around to getting a license.I got a learners when I was 18, but didn't do anything with it. Then I moved to a large city, where public transportation is actually easier, faster,and more practical than driving (not to mention cheaper).

BUT.....if I go to my first choice for my PhD, I will be commuting an hour and a half each way, and will need to drive. And it sucks. I hate it. I am too much of a spazz, not quick on my toes when I am doing something physical, and scared to death that I will end up crashing my boyfriend's car (that he works his ass off to pay).

So....I feel ya sista!

*amber*

Heehee amber that made me laugh! The actual driving bit isn't so bad, you do get used to it really quickly. Being behind the wheel of a car actually makes you realise how powerful they areso you're less likely to crash because you're so careful. Good luck anyway, if you do have to drive im sure you'll get the hang of it.......eventually lol!

Katy x

-Mary, i can't see why you would ever need to do that anyway, who reverses round corners?!!!!
    *katy*

Ummm.. Isn't it illegal to reverse around a corner?? If not, it should be!!

Good luck!

--Kim

Granted, I took the driving test in the U.S. about 18 years ago, but I never had to reverse around a corner. We just had to back up straight for some certain distance, but not around a corner.

What is up with that?

Isn't it ridiculous?? I took it in the US, too, about that same time, and I had to! I even hit the curb doing it, which I thought meant automatic failure, but I lucked out and still passed!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Wow, all I did was take the computer test and drive around the block. I took the test in a manual shift car so I guess the evaluator figured that if I could rive a manula shift then I can do all the other stuff.

Missminty, have you tried visualizing yourself succeeding in doing the driving parts that are hard for you? I know it sounds corny but I have dine it and It has worked! Here is what I tried it on. As you know, I play on a womens tackle pro-football team. I had the WORST time catching the ball over my shoulder runninf full speed ahead and looking up in the air. Every chance I had or could remember to do it, I visioned myself in slow motion cathcing the ball step by step. Next practice I got out there can could catch them every since! You should try it!

I feel forr you. It could have been me writing that post a few years ago. My instructor said my driving was test standard but it took forever for me to master my manouvers (except 3 point turn) and the worst thing is you know you are rarely going to have to use them once you have passed your test. I mean if I reverse round a corner I don't worry if I go a bit wide!
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

Thanks for all your replies! I had another lesson this morning, we went over reversing round corners and she drew a little diagram which explained things better. However i think i have transferred my hatred to parallel parks now though! I am trying desperately to get through everything before uni (bout 3 weeks) so im doin my theory on friday and have 3 lessons next week. She bsically said i can drive fine but i need to practise manouvers and keep looking in the mirror - i always always forget! So im goin out drivng everyday this week with my mum, hopefully it will all come together soon!

Taffy, i really like that whole visualisation idea, my instructor always tells me to picture where i want to go and it does seem to help! As for the whole american tests vs english tests it is wierd what they do and don't expect us to do. I guess a lot of it has to do with i you're driving a manual car, which im not, and if you get a nice examiner, which i hopefully will!

Thanks a lot everyone!
    *katy*

oh yes the mirrors - how do they expect you to remember to look in those as well as everything else?!?
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

haha i know, i really DON'T want to take my eyes off the road!!
    *katy*

I can relate!

I was useless as manouveres but I'm only short so my instructors car was huge to me. I could manouver my mum's car! It just takes lots of practise and patience.

I passed second time just over a year ago and it's become second nature to me now. Good Luckkk [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I remember thinking that I would NEVER be able to drive! Just take it one day at a time, it's one of those annoying things you have to practice all the time. I managed to be clever and move somewhere where I can always use public transit (mwahaha) but driving is a useful skill to have.

Best of luck!

Awwww good luck!! just stick at it and do ya best[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img].

Ruth x

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

I got my driving licence eighteen years ago when I was eighteen and I remember the thing I dreaded the most was reversing around corners! I always mucked it up and thought I was bound to fail on that but when it came to taking the test, for the very first time I did a perfect one!

I just wish I had the nerve todrive - I was always nervous behind the wheel and never actually drove anywhere on my own after getting my licence. I even had refresher lessons a few years after passing my test but still didn't dare drive alone. I guess it's now turned into another phobia as the thought of driving scares me to the core. If somebody asked me whether I would like to be stuck in a room with people v*ing or drive somewhere I really wouldn't know which was the worst, it's that bad!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Just stick at it, it will all come good in the end, just make sure you keep up with your driving onceyou've got your licence and not waste it like me! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Good luck!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb