Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know that some women v* in labour but I went to parentcraft classes for the first time last night and the midwife said to us 'Don't skip meals but don't eat anything heavy as you will probably throw up.' Now I am terrified and was wondering what your experiences were? Were you sick and what pain relief did you have? Why did she have to say that? I feel so trapped.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

Hi...I just had my daughter 6 months ago & I was actually worried about the same thing. I even asked my doctor if I could take an anti-n* pill when my water breaks. However, everything happened so fast. In fact, I went to work & drove all by myself with contractions. And although they hurt like hell, I was able to function & wasn't the least bit n*. When I got to the hospital, I told the nurse I had some heartburn so she gave me a little maalox & I delivered my beautiful daughter with no meds at all. I didn't get n* or v*. I have heard the same stories about the pain being so bad that you v* but it depends on your body. But you know what? It's all worth it anyway...emet or not![img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img]
    Progress not Perfection!

ive had 2 babies and never suffered any n* or v* during labour at all .. i think they tell ppl that like they do with most things during pregnancy so that if it was to happen you would know its normal they say alot of things during pregnancy which a lot of ppl dont suffer with at all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Afew people I know who have hadbabies v*ed duringlabour, but I know loads more that didn't. Some peoplemore readily v* than others and seem to be sick at the slightest thing, so for these sort of people something like giving birth may effect them that way. I'm sure it's very rare for an emet to be effected in this way. Hope this helps!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I didn't eat all day when I was in labor and besides the pain, one of the problems was I was so darn hungry that I was weak. The hunger at the end of the day became a problem, so no n* at all, and I ate my weight in turkey and mashed potatoes when I had him. (I had him on Thanksgiving.) But I hadn't drank anything either, and the nurse told me I had to drink, so I drank sprite and juice all day and never did I feel sick. I really think that other women who v* more easily, the ones who don't have emet, may get sick, but i think we're ok in that department. Plus, if you start feeling n*, just ask for anti-emetic and they'll give it to you fast I bet. Funny story though, when I was in labor the nurse told me that this woman felt sick and v* when she was in the last stages of labor, and she heaved for awhile, and when she was done, they heard a noise and she had pushed her baby out with all the heaving and he was under the covers. I would have put my emet aside for a minute to be able to witness something like that![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Ah the things nurses experience. Well you will do great and I was always worried about being sick with my kids too, but not an ounce of n* with either one of them! janna

my sister just had a baby like three hours ago...and nothing like that
    happened at all...and she isnt an emet...but i wasnt there...just in
    case...but im on my way now! IM AN AUNTIE...ITS A GIRL
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow. Congratulations to you and your sister. And thanks to all for the reassurance. I have posted on some baby forums and the response so far is 2 people v*ed 8 didn't which helps a lot.

i had a baby 5months ago and i was petrifed i kept sayin to my mum 'Will i be sick? mum am i going to be sick' and this was int he middle of the hospital i kept shouting at the nurses 'I BETTA NOT BE SICK!!' (i wa sonly 16 lol) if you tell them they give you an injection to stop V* i was fine!! and i felt such a fool afterwards lol!

Thanks Abbie. I was supposed to be going to a midwife led birthing unit but they cannot give drugs (except pethidine and gas and air!) so when I had that v* episode a while back they said I would be better going to a hospital so I can have an anti emetic to try and prevent but when she said to us we will more than likely throw up during labour I went into panic mode.

if you get an anti emet shot, then you wont have to worry about it...my
    sister did it all with nothing at all..no epidural and she was totally
    fine...it really depends on the person...like she wasnt sick during her
    pregnancy with mroning sickness at all...well at least no v*! Try not
    to worry about it...its so exciting to be a mom...just remember when
    you get up after the labor...dont stand up too fast...it can make you
    dizzy and i had a friend v* after she gave birth from getting up too
    fast.
    I love Sam

I thought I felt a little n* right when my contractions were at there worst, right before I got my epidural. I started panicking a little, but after I calmed myself down I realized it was really just hunger. I later figured out that this was during transition which is the time when people usually v* if they are going to.

I didn't eat right before because I went into hard labor at 3 in the morning. I did eat dinner the night before (grilled cheese sandwiches and pasta) and I don't think it made any difference.

As for drugs, the epidural has made people sick before because it can make your blood pressure drop really quick. In order to prevent that, my hospital makes you get a liter of saline through an I.V. before they give you the epidural. I also had pitocin to increase my contractions and didn't get n* from that at all either.

Like ruby said, just ask for an anti emet shot anyway. Make sure you ask your doctor ahead of time so it's in your chart, then ask the nurse as soon as you get there.

I have had 2 children. With the first one I had no pain meds and no n* or v*. With my second I had an epidural but also no n* or v*. I was worried about that too cause my friend v* but she was totally out of control when she was in labor. I think her freaking out is what made her sick. My sister also v* but she said it was nothin cause she was much more worried about having the baby. Just don'tworry too much about it and enjoy being pregnant and the gift that you will get out of it!!!

When I went into labourwith my second son, I had a very full stomach. (aKFC!) But I didn't v*, though I did feel a tiny bit n* with pushing so hard. I don't know of anybody who's v*d in labour. I had gas and air and an epidural and was fine with both. It wasn't fair of your midwife to say v*ing was "more than likely" to happen. It hasn't been the experience of any of my friends or family, and I certainly wasn't told that in ante-natal classes.

Hi. I was very nervous about V**, so the best thing I did was ask for anti-emetics. I had compazine for one and reglan for the other. I was fine, also had an epidural. I think most don't v** from labor but it does happen.</font>

I've had three babies, all with epidurals and no v*ing. The nurses are great. If you tell them ahead of time, they can stick an anti nausea drug right in your IV. My baby that was born July 1st, I hadbeen scheduled to be induced in the AM so I ate some toast before hand. When I got to the hospital and got everything hooked up, they determined that my cervix wasn't soft enough so I had to lay in bed all day with some Cervadil in place to soften it up and they didn't let me eat. So when they started the pitocin at 4am, it had been almost 24 hours without food. I did start to feel a little hunger nausea so I snuck some crackers and it went away. They kept offering me pain meds before I got the epidural and I kept refusing them for fear of them making me v*, but the nurse said they always give you an anti nausea drug with them. Every nurse I've had has been great and they are there to help you out with any requests so don't be afraid to speak up.

Thanks everyone. I still don't know what to do about pain relief. I really don't want an epidural as I would be scared not being able to be mobile. I don't want gas and air and I don't like the sound of pethidine. TI was leaning towards using a tens machine but the midwife says it is unlikely you will get through a first labour using only a tens machine.

I have also had e3 babies and have not v'ed at all. Of the 100s of moms I know, only 3 have actually v'ed during labor. One was because she was given narcotics in her IV and it made her sick, one was my husband's step mom and she had stopped for a burger and fries on the way to the hospital, while she was in labor (not a good idea) and the other was my friend who was v'ing for pain relief (CRAZY, I know, but it actually made her feel better to v*, she was mad when the nurse gave her an anti emetic.

After my sister had her baby I totally just wanted to have a baby too. Like just seeing how happy the parents were of all the cute little babies it was so wonderful. I saw a realyl young couple about 16 or 17 and the boy was soooooo excited and rubbing her belly I was so happy to see them, it seriously made me want to have a baby with my boyfriend...dont tell him...hes not ready
    I love Sam

I was never even nauseous, let alone sick and I had two kids with no drugs or anything.(And normally, I'm a suck - not at all Stoic!) Honestly, I've never heard of an emet vomiting during labour. I think it's one of those things you can control fairly easily.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I'm terrified of this very thing! My first baby is due in December.

I have decided not to take any Pethidine and to try to get by with as little pain releif as I can as I've heard Pethidine and Gas and Air can make you s*.

I'm also not going to eat much after I go into labour, yeah I know "they" say you should but "they" aren't emetophobes now are they!!!!! I will have toi have a fairly empty stomach to cope with it all.

I'm terrified of labour for this very reaso - I'm more scared of v* than I am ofthe pain!

My Consultant midwife is going to wrote to the hospital where I'm having my baby to arrange for them to have lots of anti-emetics on hand for me, as they are going to be as important to me as pain releif. As its my first baby I'm not expecting a quick labout and will need as much anti emetic as possible in order to ake sure I get through without v*. I will think about an epidural if I have to but I'm not going to use much int he way of narcotics as I don't want to risk them making me s*.

Funnily enough my midwife says that v* in labour is not that common in her experience (she's been a midwife for 25 years) and my mum was never the slightest bits* in either of her labours. She said she's never even heard of the phenomenon!!! I thinkt hat was really unfair of your midwife to say that to you! Thats why I'm avoiding parentcraft classesbecause they keep talking about things like that and all the other women just want to talk about the pain but my main fear is the v*.

BTW Hale, I was going to a Midwife Led Unit too but because I have had to carry on taking my antidepressants through pregnancy they want me to go to the hospital in case the baby has a withdrawal reaction when he is born - I hate hospitals and am terrified of going to one.

There is an MLU attached to the hospital, and I'm going to try to go there, my Consultant is arranging with the MLU for them to have an antiemetic available for me.

I'm going to try and use the birthing pool and get by without pethidine etc. Epidurals are supposed to have better painkilling effects and less likely to make you sick, but I would have to go to the main bit of the hospital for that and forgo the relaxing atmosphere of the MLU.Edited by: ladymoonlight