Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Why me????

This afternoon I was in the restroom of our university library. A woman came running in, ran into a stall, and proceeded to v* all over, missing the toilet and hitting the floor (as if the sound wasn't bad enough, the sound of it hitting tile is worse). I know there are 110 million reasons why someone would v*, but honestly, it is the first week of classes and no one skips because you can be dropped by your prof if you don't show during the first two weeks so I think she might have had an sv and was too afraid to stay home.

But why me? Of the hundreds of toilets on campus, why did the one with the emetophobe in it have to deal with this???

Does anyone else feel as though as emetophobes we tend to see or be around sickness more than others?

Also, thanks to Sage and Alvin's Q&A thread, we all know that virus water droplets in the air can travel far and land. Anyone know what my chances are of contracting something?????

Although I did have a bit of a triumph in all this: I calmly washed my hands, went to my next class, and didn't panic too much.

Awwww im really sorry that this happend. Yeah i sometimes i think oh great why does this has to happen to me, but there's a lot of things that people don't like happen to them. It like spiders my mum can't stand them and we have had quite a few in the house and she says why does this always happen for, but then spiders can turn up anywhere and the same with someone v*, its good you was calm, and its true people v* for so many reasons, i think you have to be next to the person to catch something, im not sure, but when i have v* before my mums been with me and not got anything, so i think you will be fine.

Ruth x

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UGH!! I am so sorry you had to witness that! I would have ran out mid-pee! Give yourself alot of credit for how you handled it!! Great job!

As far as exposure---How close were you to "it"?? (GROSS)--did it "splash" you/your clothes? I heard over and over that, yes, unfortunately, norovirus becomes airborne right when someone v*'s, and there's really no way to sugarcoat that fact (I know, it SUCKS!). BUT, like you said, that someone can v* for soooooo many different reasons, and with that being said, I would think your chances of catching it woulld be slim. I feel for you, as this sort of thing is terrible to witness, but i do hope you are able to get it out of your mind soon and won't be s*. Pllease keep us updated.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Oh my god! We had very similar experiences today!!!

I usually take my classes through distance learning and just take my exams at the college but this semester I signed on for some courses at the school. Well, it seems like every time I walk in the damn place I have to pee, so I was walking around looking for the handicap one seaters. I know, it's not nice to use the disabled potty, but I really cannot handle the stress of using a multi stall facility because of situations just like the one you have described. Alas! I found one, only to open the door and see vomit on the floor. Ugh! WTF??? Out of all the freaking bathrooms on campus- I find the one with vomit. So, I leave.... I start to have a panic attack and the anxiety induced diarrhea starts to hit. So, like it or not, I have no choice but to find a bathroom in this freaking school. Finally, I found another one seater. I quickly went and managed to calm down enough to attend my classes. But GOD!!!! I was thinking the same thing as you. Because it's the first week of classes, I was certain they were sick and couldn't miss.

However, the first week of classes can also cause anxiety in people. So I am now trying to convince myself that whoever made the mess on the floor was probably having anxiety. Maybe looking at your situation that way will help you, too.

Anyway.. I was relieved to hear your story just to realize that someone else had to endure the same type of situation as me today. And lookie! We both made it!

I would just love a day to come that I didn't have anxiety walking into a public bathroom, though. Man, emet sucks.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I think if she was inside a stall, then the aerosol spray couldn't possibly have reached you. It's not like it can "fly" out to wherever you were. I'm sure you'll be totally safe. But what a scary experience. It IS strange that so many people are sick by emets. I think in the last 5 years since I've been "cured" I swear I haven't even seen it on the road or anything let alone live from someone. Maybe the universe just puts these obstacles in your way to either encourage you to address the phobia, or help you overcome it somehow. I don't know...

Sorry you had to endure this today. What a drag!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

wow yay for you .. you handled that well.. if it were me i would probably have to leave class for the day and would be a mess for a couple hours.. but big step for you.. great job!!

and yes I do think sometimes that i v** more than others or v** happens around me more than others sometimes and i wonder... wtf.. why me? why now?? oh well..
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Ew this sounds horrible, but i think you coped really really well! I think sage's reasurance that you won't catch anything is totally right because the woman was actually in a toilet stall. I know what you mean about us having to face v* more than normal people but sometimes i just think we notice it more anyway because we are always on the lookout. Like ruth says, if we were aracnaphobes we would probably spot spiders all the time whereas half of the time we don't even notice them.

Good luck with the rest of your week though and with all your classes, im sure you will do great,

xx
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm

Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

UGH!! I am so sorry you had to witness that! I would have ran out mid-pee! Give yourself alot of credit for how you handled it!! Great job!

As far as exposure---How close were you to "it"?? (GROSS)--did it "splash" you/your clothes? I heard over and over that, yes, unfortunately, norovirus becomes airborne right when someone v*'s, and there's really no way to sugarcoat that fact (I know, it SUCKS!). BUT, like you said, that someone can v* for soooooo many different reasons, and with that being said, I would think your chances of catching it woulld be slim. I feel for you, as this sort of thing is terrible to witness, but i do hope you are able to get it out of your mind soon and won't be s*. Pllease keep us updated.

No it didn't splash on me. I would have fainted. I've been pretty queasy and have had acid-y bm's today, but I think it is stress. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by xroofusx
    but when i have v* before my mums been with me and not got anything, so i think you will be fine.

Ruth x

I think some people have really strong immune systems like that. I have taken to adding Airborne as a regular diet supplement to help boost my immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Maybe the universe just puts these obstacles in your way to either encourage you to address the phobia, or help you overcome it somehow. I don't know...

Sorry you had to endure this today. What a drag!

I wasn't feeling well last night and I had that same thought. Maybe I am being forced to face my fears by some weird power. I tend to get philosophical when not feeling well. Maybe it's because I spend so much time trying to focus my mind away from being ill. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Thank you everyone for your replies and reassurance. I am starting on Zoloft this week in hopes that it well quell my anxiety a bit.

marieb73, you did a great job! Take pride in the little victories!

It's a running joke with my friends because anytime I am nervous or travelling anywhere I always end up seeing someone sick. For example on my latest trip to Manchester I was on the train and these guys were drinking, well this old guy started sneezing and I guess it was gross b/c then one of the guys threw up. Couldn't happen anywhere else except opposite me right? Haha Anyway sorry, this thread isn't about me, I think you did really well to cope but I do think it's funny how often we can be tested sometimes. I am never on alert for people throwing up, I'm never looking around like some emets do.....it just finds me! haha
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Sorry that you had to experience that, I know that it can be totally unnerving!! I am sure that the chances of anything are extremely slim...so try not to worry.
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

Quote Originally Posted by marieb73
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

No it didn't splash on me. I would have fainted. I've been pretty queasy and have had acid-y bm's today, but I think it is stress. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Yeh, it very well could be stress. I think you'll be fine. LOL--I would've fainted too!!!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Oh no, how awful for you, but take pride in the fact you managed to cope ok!

Regards us emets seemingly being plagued by vomitting people much more than non-emets I too have noticed this! Even my best friend has noticed too - he says it must be that what we find scary must be placed in our path as some sort of test or exposure therapy! He is terrified of spiders and wasps/bees and they do seem to head straight for him!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Well done for not panicking too much, i'd have totally fallen apart. I know what you mean about sickness tending to follow you around. Last week i was waiting for my mum in the car in a supermarket car park, i was facing the road. Then these soldiars (i cant spell it) ran past for training and one of them stopped (right outside my car!!) and was sick, though it wasn't full blown, was just a wee bit but still.... why right outside my car? Then theres that Nike advert last week aswell. Also i tend to notice more when cars have pulled up at the side of the road and some one is being sick out the passenger side. Perhaps its because we look for these things more? But i knwo what you mean.

Katie

I bet she was hungover from a Freshers party the night before- that happened to me my first day of uni, this girl came into the ladies (where I was just doing my makeup and washing my hands)and she started v* everywhere- it freaked me out and I ran out of there at about 100mph- and she was just hungover because there was a big Freshmens' party the night before.

I bet if anyone really had an SV they'd stay home, its the hungover ones who go in because they feel guilty that its all their fault for drinking so much and they musn't miss lectures because of that.

Gosh I am sorry that happened! Uhg yes...it certainly does seem to
    always happen to us emets doesn't it! Like ladymoonlight said she could
    have been hungover...that makes quite a bit of sense. But whatever it
    was i would have been outa there pretty quick!...congrats for handling it
    so well!
    ~viva~