Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So right nowi am having these horrible hiccups.. you know the kind that just hurt .. i tried drinking lots of water and holding my breathe but.. nope.. still got em.. it worries me some because i usually get them alot when my stomach is a lil off or about to get upset.. or d* seems to be everytime.. but i was just thinking.. what the heck causes hiccups really?? and why is it that they can be far apart like you hiccup and u dont hiccup again for like 25 seconds but then alla sudden there like 10 seconds apart.. what is that.. and why does water or holding your breath help?

i think im going to do some google searching now..

ill let u know what i found out..
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Hiccups are sudden, involuntary contractions of the diaphragm muscle. As the muscle contracts repeatedly, the opening between your vocal cords snaps shut to check the inflow of air and makes the hiccup sound. Irritation of the nerves that extend from the neck to the chest can cause hiccups.

Many conditions are associated with hiccups, but none has been shown to be the cause of hiccups.
    <UL =disc>
    <LI>If you eat too fast, you can swallow air along with your food and end up with a case of the hiccups.</LI>[/list]
    <UL =disc>
    <LI>Any other practices that might irritate the diaphragm such as eating too much (especially fatty foods) or drinking too much (drunk people hiccup) can make you prone to having hiccups.</LI>[/list]
    <UL =disc>
    <LI>In these instances, your stomach, which sits on top of the diaphragm, is distended or stretched. Because they occur in relation to eating and drinking, hiccups are sometimes thought to be a reflex to protect you from choking.

Numerous home remedies for hiccups exist. The reason that these remedies are thought to work is that carbon dioxide build-up in the blood will stop hiccups, which is what happens when you hold your breath. If the vagus nerve that runs from the brain to the stomach is stimulated, hiccups can also be alleviated (this is what is happening when you drink water or pull on your tongue).</LI>
    <LI></LI>[/list]
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Hiccups are caused by irregular movement of the diaphragm . I was also once told that they can also be caused by your body not having enouph oxygen but dont quote me on that. Hope ya get better

Very interesting[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I guess we posted at the same time lol [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I always had hiccups whn I was little. My dad always had me brethe really shallow just enough that would not cause me to hiccup and they went away. It always worked for me!

This may sound weird, but peanut butter cures the hiccups instantly. It's true. Soemone told me that a long time ago, and I tried it out, and now every time i have the hiccups i just get a small spoon and eat just one bite of peanut butter and Voila! no more hiccups. Try it sometime!
    ~Mandi~

Thanks mandy i had never thought about that remedy!!

hey there! ah i hate those types of hiccups that hurt...but that info is
    quite interesting....
    if nothing else works you could try something my aunt told me. get a
    glass of water but drink it from the opposite side so you have to lean
    over and kind of drink upside down....it has a 100% success rate for
    me....
    i have never heard of peanut butter but i wanna try that too!
    ~viva~

Hope you get rid of them soon
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Actually for me when I get the hiccups I breathe out all the air I can and then, without taking any air in, I swallow twice, then I take in a deep breath and without letting any air out I swallow twice more. ALWAYS works for me.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

My dad always had me drink water with a paper towel over the top f the glass when I was a kid. It worked most of the time.