Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Snoring

This may sound a bit silly, but my husband snores so loudly every night. He starts as soon as he falls asleep and continues for anything upto 4 or 5 hours. If I am lucky enough to fall asleep first, I sometimes manage to sleep through it, but if not I lie awake for hours waiting for him to stop. I am sometimes tempted to wake him, but I don't like to disturb him.

I have tried a couple of times to tell him he snores, but he gets quite upset and denies it, so I have not mentioned it for a couple of years. I think I am going to have to tell him again though as he seems to be getting even louder just lately. I think maybe he should see the doctor, but I don't want to upset him. We don't get long together as he works away for months at a time, so maybe I should just put up with it, but sometimes(like tonight), I am so tired and just need to sleep. I feelguilty for complaining about his snoring, but I can actually hear it even now and I am downstairs. Should I tell him?

My husband snores too, curly. My suggestion is to get yourself some ear plugs. I have to wear them eveyr night or I would never sleep!

My dad snores so loudly that I can hear him from my room down the hall. I really think you should try and talk to him properly about it because there are loads of things he could do. Maybe you should tape him snoring and prove it! But seriously, theres nasal strips, something clunky dewn in to his pjs so he doesnt turn on to his back etc.

On the other hand you could just give hima kick, my mum does that and my dad tends to grunt, move and then stop.

Worth a try?

Thankyou Happyteacher. Earplugs would be a good idea, but I might not hear my children if they needed me in the night. My husband definately would not wake up for them. He sleeps through anything. He sleeps through the biggest of storms when he is at sea. He even got tipped out of his bed on his shipin really strong winds once and still stayed asleep. If he can sleep through his snores he can sleep through anything.

Thanks Hannah. I don't think I will try the kick(I really don't think he would notice if I did), but I think I will speak to him again as maybe he can get something to help.

hey Curly- Maybe he should see a doctor, just to make sure his tonsils aren't inflammed (if they are inflammed they won't necessarily hurt, so it could be hard for the person to tell).

Chris used to snore horribly- to the point where I could hear him from the livingroom and it would actually wake him up. It turns out that his tonsils were almost the size of a golf ball! He has since gotten them removed and......NO MORE SNORING!

He may want to get them checked, just to make sure.

goodluck- I definitely feel your pain, lol.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou Amber. I think I will be brave and tell my husband about his snoring again incase there is a medical reason for it. My son has also started snoring in the last couple of months and I was thinking either adenoidsor tonsilsmaybe the cause. I will get him checked out too.

He can see a docter, but does he sleep on his back? If you maybe wake him up and let him sleep on his side it could be a bit better.

My fiance snores now and again, not very loudly but loud enought to keep me awake and irritate me (I know snorers can't help it butI get so wound up at times when I desparately need to sleep and someone is making awful noises at the side of you I could scream). I can't go camping cos of all the people in neighbouring tents keeping me awake with their snoring! Anyway I always wake my fiance up and ask him to turn on his side, then it stops. When he's been drinking it's way worse so I sometimes have to go into another room to sleep.

Some things can make snoring worse, like if a person is overweight, smokes or drinks alcohol before bed. It isworth your husband getting checked out at the docs.

Have a look at this link: http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/snor...an_i_do_to_sto p_snoring.php?PHPSESSID=666ab800bff4f615d299c160d0 ed1d4d it helps identify the cause of the snoring.

I was chatting to a friend the other week who said her hubby used to snore so badly until he started singing lessons! Now he doesn't snore at all!

Finally, don't feel silly about this it's really not a trivial problem when your sleep is suffering. Apparently some couples even split up over it, so you can see not something that's trivial at all and something that does need addressing for the sake of the snoring partner's sanity!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hi Curly Wurly, I know just how you feel. My other half is a terrible snorer and was in complete denial about it! It makes no difference whether he lies on his back or side - it's like a pneumatic drill. Before the boys came along, I used to wear earplugs, but I can't do that now in case I can't hear them through the night.

He never took my complaints seriously till I started making him sleep on the sofa so that I could get some sleep. He went to the doctor who gave him a spray (can't remember the name of it!) and is waiting for an appointment at a sleep clinic.

Please don't feel guilty about telling your husband. Sleep depravation isn't funny! Hannah's suggestion about taping him is a good one. Snorers don't realise how loud they actually are! Hope the nights soonget quieter for you.

Hey

My b/f snores only when he's on his back (unless he has a cold or something) This is gonan sound bad but instead of waking him up angrily i hold his nose for a few seconds which makes him unconsciously move his sleeping position and he lies on his side.. theefor he no longer snores. However sounds like your husbands snoring is alot worse. I think trying to alk to him calmly and explain that it really is disturbing your sleep and perhaps together you can find a solutio that works.

Good luck

Katie

My boyfriend used to snoore when were first together but now he sleeps
    on his side to prevent it and it works great...also there are breath
    right stripes for the nose....i was thinking of getting them for his
    friend who spends the night some times and is sooo freaking loud, lol

I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou for all the replies. I have told my husband as nicely as I could about his snoring. Firstly he denied it but eventually agreed that he would go and see the doctor, but knowing my hubby he will put off going for ages. He has told me to wake him when he snores tonight, but I know I will not be able to wake him.

Thankyou for the link Tcsarah. I showed my hubby and he found it quite interesting.

my bf was like that too but he got the silent night pinky ring and hasnt snored a night since, that was 8 mths ago

Worth a shot maybe

xxmar

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

my husband started snoring many years after we were married, and I went through similar problems - unable to sleep, unable to wake him...then I slept in our guest room down the hall and THEN I couldn't sleep there either cuz I could still hear him and it woke me up. He started whining that I wouldn't sleep with him anymore and we were becoming "just roommates", so I put my foot down about the snoring. He went to a sleep clinic and found out he had sleep apnea which can be fatal and he got a CPAP machine and now he sleeps like a baby, feels great and I get a good sleep too!

I hope you can find it within yourself to express your own needs to your husband, and not be so concerned about how he will take it. AFter all, he's a grown-up, and should be able to accept truthful honest feedback about his wife's needs.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.